Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Vendor / bronze
3,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Indian has decided that each IMRG chapter must have chapter insurance and it is due Aug. 30, 2018. They are offering it for $1200 but you can seek out your own. You have to send proof to National. It seems unlikely to me that very many individuals want to chip in for this. That leaves it up to the dealer. Poor dealers have enough issues. I think that National dropped the annual dues owed by the dealer ($1000). So this becomes almost a wash. It may be that they are dumping the liability onto the dealers. Jump in if you have any more info on this. I am VP of the Jacksonville group. I find it unwise that Indian requires written waivers for each and every ride from each and every rider and passenger. Now more fees. Thank you lawyers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just received the same Officer Newsletter. It states " We also require that each Chapter and/or sponsoring Dealership maintain appropriate levels of insurance to cover Chapter activities."

I am not sure what the difference in coverage would be or if the IMRG chapter would need to be listed as additional insured on the sponsoring dealerships insurance policy. I'll be discussing this with our chapter President and see what his input is.

·
Silver member
5,306 Posts
What the … Why would chapters need insurance period? I ran a chapter for some years. We never had insurance. Any smart chapter will have a waiver that is signed that holds the chapter harmless for any accidents while group riding on an official charity/fund raising type run.

It makes no sense.

·
Founding member
1,517 Posts
Count me out. I just got an e-mail stating that I was a new member of IMRG since I just bought a new Roadmaster. I'll probably also get a ball point pen and a chocolate bar shortly as well. But this sounds like donkey dung to me. I'll just stick with the Iron Indian Riders Association if that's the case.

·
Founding member
1,276 Posts
If you do large rides it is smart to have insurance AND get the waivers signed. In the past when setting up larger (100+ bikes) we've gotten insurance for the event at about $100 for a one time use policy. I wonder why they can't just do something like that.

·
Founding member
2,309 Posts
What the … Why would chapters need insurance period? I ran a chapter for some years. We never had insurance. Any smart chapter will have a waiver that is signed that holds the chapter harmless for any accidents while group riding on an official charity/fund raising type run.

It makes no sense.
Yes, waivers are smart; however even with waivers, all it takes is for an officer to do something that a judge/jury might deem negligent (i.e. did they make certain that every rider was present/paying attention during the pre-ride safety message?) and a good lawyer could possibly find all officers and the chapter liable. Negligence can render waivers worthless.

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,911 Posts
If dealerships are unwilling or unable to include the local chapters in their liability insurance, the IMRG local chapter is doomed.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My MC club carries insurance as well. The same type Indian has. It also protects your officers. We pay for ours by having everyone chip in 5 dollars at each sponsored ride. Official chapters are very different than loosely organized Meetups.

·
Founding member
1,276 Posts
I'm not sure how the Chapter portion actually works, so understand this is just me thinking out loud...

A person can purchase the 11" IMRG patch online just by being a National Member. So if you already have an established active Riders Group and use the dealership as a starting/link up point for rides and such, that wouldn't have to end if you were no longer an Official dealership sponsored group. If you're active people will know about you and join anyway.

The dealership can still support this unofficial group in the same way most dealerships do for any other riding group that approaches them for run support... For example help as a first or last stop and free raffle gear or top hand prizes... The level of support is usually dealer dependant anyway, and isn't usually rider group type exclusive.

You could also still hold meetings there if the dealership is ok with it, heck our local HD dealership allows several groups to hold monthly meetings there, I'm certain Indian dealers could do the same if they choose...

Sooooo.... What am I missing that we need to absolutely be associated with a single Dealership anyway? What else does a dealership provide there Chapter?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
How about the dealership pay it. When I ride with the group it’s free advertisement, especially when I have their license plate frame on the bike. Not to mention the other money I have paid on accessories and a Stage 2 system. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Sooooo.... What am I missing that we need to absolutely be associated with a single Dealership anyway? What else does a dealership provide there Chapter?
The insurance is for protection from the guy who sues your group and the attorney that figures out you are a group that failed to comply with and maintain those riding standards expected of groups. And the identified leaders are at most risk.

·
Founding member
1,276 Posts
The insurance is for protection from the guy who sues your group and the attorney that figures out you are a group that failed to comply with and maintain those riding standards expected of groups. And the identified leaders are at most risk.
I guess this is certainly a risk... I forget sometimes how ridiculous we've become in this country... Kind of sad when you think about it. $1200 bucks to hopefully be somewhat protected from a legal system out of control because of a country full of.... Well full of something, but we're all entitled to our own word at the end. Mine would be short sighted ninkumpoops...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I guess this is certainly a risk... I forget sometimes how ridiculous we've become in this country. Mine would be short sighted ninkumpoops...
So true. I see our laws changing and reinforcing amongst our citizenry the idea that anything that makes someone uncomfortable can be outlawed. I can imagine motorcycles will find their way to the “short” list. The way governments generally outlaw what they can’t simply do away with constitutionally is to make the practice expensive and out of reach of most people and thereby collapsing the supporting industry.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Usually Rider's Clubs will have Hold Harmless agreements that protects the club and officers, so I'm not sure why Polaris/Indian is requiring insurance.
Chief Signguru. I agree. For our club, it just comes down to what case law has shown us to be the reality that courts and juries will listen to arguments that seem to invalidate such agreements. But the bottom line is that you can’t sign away responsibility for being and doing stupid.

·
Silver member
5,306 Posts
And if someone sues a riders group the word will get out and that person will ride alone the rest of their chicken shit life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts