Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm great at getting good prices on major purchases. I'm hitting the supply and demand wall with the Indian Scout.

The local dealer near me, Hernleys, was rumored on this forum to have lower fees. I called them, expressed interest in the bike, and was hit with MSRP plus a load of other fees such as freight and prep. I have never paid freight or prep and have paid under MSRP. I'm not willing to do it.

Have you guys been able to negotiate the fees away? They want written (photocopied) proof that other dealers are offering it for less.

I don't "need" this bike and just bought a new bike (FZ-09) and a new car (Camaro), so I can't justify full price for this bike, especially with all of the recent discounts given on the Indian baggers.

My plan was to get rid of my Sportster and get a Scout. My husband likes the bike too. At full cost, the bike is too much with the fees. I can get a very recent low mileage used Fat Boy Low for what this bike is out the door.

How have you guys fared so far? Full price, any discounts? I have patience, so I can wait it out.

Reactions: Pacer

·
Distinguished Founding Member
5,337 Posts
Only Discount I can see coming off this sale is the Price of an Extended Warranty which comes at no cost .. Pretty Hard to negotiate something high in demand .. Wait a couple years and may be able to negotiate real well with a Scout .. Others may be doing better, but that's how it is in North FL where can't find a left over 14 Indian anywhere close by since September ..

·
Founding member
1,763 Posts
Right now people are lined up putting down non-refundable (in most cases) to buy this bike sight unseen (in many cases). Two or three years down the road you may have some wiggle room in dealer negotiations or the option of buying a good condition used model. Right now its just a case of supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Hernley's, September 19th:
MSRP 11299 (red)
475 freight
50 doc fee
no prep fee

Is that about what you're up against?

Not much of a rug merchant, myself. I did talk to Chesapeake in Annapolis; good guys; but they wanted around 300 more in fees. Understandable, since they have to pay Beltway rent. Spoke to a Victory/Polaris dealer in Ohio who had his app in for Indian, who I consider a friend and a square guy. Told him I'd be willing to wait until Spring and go pick up in Ohio from him; but he said Hernley's weren't making a killing at that price; and, by next Spring, the manufacturer may well want more. Thought the five year warranty was worth jumping on it now. Said he knew old man Hernley just slightly from some trade association, thought he was a square fellow, did not know his son, who I'm thinking is who inked my deal.

Hey, at least down here in Dull-aware I don't have to pay your Pennsyltucky taxes. Except for two bucks tire tax I notice now on my paperwork. The hell is that? Bought a tire once in New York, got stung 23 bucks tire fee. NY is nuts.

Best I can say. Wish I were a haggler maybe could give you better info.

We have several on the forum dealt with Hernleys. Come Spring, we may all get together to eat ribs or somewhat, and compare mods. If you order, stay tuned.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I had to pay full MSRP plus about $500 in total fees (destination, prep, processing, whatever). I doubt you will have any real negotiating room until end of next year, if there are any 2015 Scouts left floating around when the 2016 models are released.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Right now seems to be a case of when your hot your hot. Have sold a few big ticket items over the years when in a moment of weakness I thought there might be a better way to earn a living then at sea. (PS there isn't) Its always the case that when you have what folks want you get to cut the tall grass for a bit. Untill the time comes when everyone who really wants a scout has one it will be difficult to get a sweet deal. One can always hondel over a few accessories but, for now I guess your hearing "Thats My Last Word" Still you could always get up walk out and see if they come up with another word. Plus being the only kid on the block with a scout for more than a few weeks has surely got to be worth some premium.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'm great at getting good prices on major purchases. I'm hitting the supply and demand wall with the Indian Scout.

The local dealer near me, Hernleys, was rumored on this forum to have lower fees. I called them, expressed interest in the bike, and was hit with MSRP plus a load of other fees such as freight and prep. I have never paid freight or prep and have paid under MSRP. I'm not willing to do it.

Have you guys been able to negotiate the fees away? They want written (photocopied) proof that other dealers are offering it for less.

I don't "need" this bike and just bought a new bike (FZ-09) and a new car (Camaro), so I can't justify full price for this bike, especially with all of the recent discounts given on the Indian baggers.

My plan was to get rid of my Sportster and get a Scout. My husband likes the bike too. At full cost, the bike is too much with the fees. I can get a very recent low mileage used Fat Boy Low for what this bike is out the door.

How have you guys fared so far? Full price, any discounts? I have patience, so I can wait it out.
I met a guy at Hernley's demo day that said "I never pay the list price". He told me he had been down to Maryland and told them that if they didn't deal he was gone. I asked him why he was at Hernley's. Still looking he said. I said I guess it didn't work. Not well he replied.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,354 Posts
Hernley's, September 19th:
MSRP 11299 (red)
475 freight
50 doc fee
no prep fee

Is that about what you're up against?
If that's all they are charging in fees, it's a good deal. I had one dealer quote me $1,000 + in fees. The dealer I buy from charges a flat $835 that includes all DMV stuff.

Freight is a fee that is passed onto them from the manufacturer, and they pass it on to you. The Scout is a lower margin bike, and there's not as much room to deal as there is with the bigger bikes. If they make the same percentage profit (I guess around 12%) on scout as they do on a Chief, that leaves them with only a little over a grand per bike to play with. That's not that much.

·
Registered
748 Posts
since i was the first one in the door i got a slightly better deal and a $500 veterans bonus. plus delivery to my house (about 100 miles)

·
Registered
34 Posts
They will be just over $15000 in the UK all you need is insurance. That's all taxes set up everything. I know most dealers will have ex demo bikes for sale late summer, the problem then is everyone of them will have had a hard life.

·
Banned
1,841 Posts
My thoughts...........When the 2016 models come out, you might try buying any leftover 2015 models. But any dealing now is probably going to be a long shot. I think everyone is going to pay the list price. The negotiable part maybe in the setup and delivery fees.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know Costco does some special prices for motorcycles. Has anyone that is a Costco member tried this option with your dealer? I mentioned it to ours and then said they participate but we have not sat down for final pricing yet. Only deposit done.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might need to wait this out since 12k is more than I want to spend on the Scout.
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I know Costco does some special prices for motorcycles. Has anyone that is a Costco member tried this option with your dealer? I mentioned it to ours and then said they participate but we have not sat down for final pricing yet. Only deposit done.
I ran my zip code and Victory came up but not Indian. Regardless it shows Costco is dealing with Polaris. Maybe it will be soon.

·
Registered
42 Posts
"I might need to wait this out since 12k is more than I want to spend on the Scout."

12k looks like a great deal!

Two dealerships in Arizona gave me estimates on a Scout (MSRP $11,299), and both said they cannot give a hard number on shipping/destination fees until they start receiving them. Both estimated out-the-door would be about $13,600+. One dealership let me look at the break-down, which was approx. $400 destination, $400 set-up, $300 license/registration, $200 doc fees, $980 sales tax.

There were cancellations at a couple of AZ locations, and the 5yr warranty would go along with those sales, so I am weighing if it would be worth it or not. The $500 deposits are refundable here, because all of the dealerships are 100% confident that every Scout received will be sold.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
"I might need to wait this out since 12k is more than I want to spend on the Scout."

12k looks like a great deal!

Two dealerships in Arizona gave me estimates on a Scout (MSRP $11,299), and both said they cannot give a hard number on shipping/destination fees until they start receiving them. Both estimated out-the-door would be about $13,600+. One dealership let me look at the break-down, which was approx. $400 destination, $400 set-up, $300 license/registration, $200 doc fees, $980 sales tax.

There were cancellations at a couple of AZ locations, and the 5yr warranty would go along with those sales, so I am weighing if it would be worth it or not. The $500 deposits are refundable here, because all of the dealerships are 100% confident that every Scout received will be sold.
Sounds about right Mine is 13,075 otd.

·
Registered
42 Posts
What I found interesting was that a couple of dealerships have mentioned that many buyers have not been on test rides of the bike, nor did they ask what the out-the-door price would be when they placed orders. There is plenty of demand, so it is a sellers' market with the Scout.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts