Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just going to open with: I've never ridden a motorcycle, and even though I'm a car guy, I fell in love with this beauty, Scout Tank Machine | Project Scout

I thought my dream vehicle would be some heavily modded muscle/import car, but after seeing this modded Scout, I knew I could die happy with just this chopper after recreating one for myself. Hell, I didn't even know what bobber style was until a few days ago.

That being said, if I buy the Scout in grey, what parts if any are available online to purchase to achieve that same look? I see Indian's website lists the seat itself, but what fenders can I get to replace the stock one, wheels, straight handlebar, tires, etc? Thanks, and am really looking forward to joining the Indian Motorcycle family!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I understand what I'm about to say will seem rude, crude, inconsiderate, and insulting, and that's just for starters. Engaging in conversation with someone to wants to purchase an expensive (to the majority of folks) stock motorcycle, and invest in a sizable chunk of cash to emulate an even more expensive custom bike; considering that they have never ridden a motorcycle would be a waste of my time. I will however answer you're question about "what parts if any are available online to purchase to achieve that same look"? Well your ability to research those parts on your PC, or dealership are no less available to you then they are most to of us on this forum. By the way, I won't go into a lengthy explanation, but the bike in question is not a "chopper".

I know I'm not politically correct, and have probably offended more then one person out here, but to that I say, "too bad".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks you have helped me zero percent Brian, thanks for your contribution. I've been on car forums, its not my first rodeo asking for help. Expensive? Ducati's are expensive. $10k scout's initially are not. Its all relative.

Do you know what Google searches fail at? Providing search results based on industry experience. Thats why I came here direct to an Indian Motorcycle community. To hear "for this part you are SOL buying a pre-made part online," or "for this part you are in luck, so and so shop sellsthis here." If you aren't willing to share that's cool too. I'll resort to hand fabricating it myself to realize a dream.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Awesome, thanks you have helped me zero percent Brian, thanks for your contribution. I've been on car forums, its not my first rodeo asking for help. Expensive? Ducati's are expensive. $10k scout's initially are not. Its all relative.

Do you know what Google searches fail at? Providing search results based on industry experience. Thats why I came here direct to an Indian Motorcycle community. To hear "for this part you are SOL buying a pre-made part online," or "for this part you are in luck, so and so shop sellsthis here." If you aren't willing to share that's cool too. I'll resort to hand fabricating it myself to realize a dream.
Glad you replied to my post, I thought you were someone out there having fun at my/our expense. I totally agree that the cost of a Scout or anything for that mater is relative to the size of one's wallet. I speak for myself by stating that I've spent many hours talking with people that have a genuine interest in a subject I know something about, as many others on this forum have done with me and others regarding Indian Scout. I do have reservations about someone that wants to bypass what would be considered an initiation period, a reasonable learning curve, starting out small, so to speak with motorcycles. Not jumping into a whole new, never owned a motorcycle experience point that many riders would consider a intermediate/advanced level. Your intentions might be honorable, but I question your actions.

So be it, there are many others on this forum that I'm sure can help you in you're quest, good luck.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, Indians in general are beautiful bikes, you're not the first to fall in love. But, before customizing a bike you may want to take a MSF course and then put a few road miles in to see if two wheels are for you.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Glad you have a good sense of humor.
16 Dark Horse; that's one of the great things I enjoy about this forum, lively conversation/debate, and a mixed bag of really nice folks that can handle reasonable discussions with a modicum of good humor. On top of all that tons of good information.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Just going to open with: I've never ridden a motorcycle, and even though I'm a car guy, I fell in love with this beauty, Scout Tank Machine | Project Scout

I thought my dream vehicle would be some heavily modded muscle/import car, but after seeing this modded Scout, I knew I could die happy with just this chopper after recreating one for myself. Hell, I didn't even know what bobber style was until a few days ago.

That being said, if I buy the Scout in grey, what parts if any are available online to purchase to achieve that same look? I see Indian's website lists the seat itself, but what fenders can I get to replace the stock one, wheels, straight handlebar, tires, etc? Thanks, and am really looking forward to joining the Indian Motorcycle family!
Let's see what they have here.

For starters they list 3 Indian OEM accessories at the bottom:

Next they mention:
  • Original tank with raw metal state with the Warbonnet logo
  • Removing original mud guards (fenders) replace by 2 Lick wheel brushed aluminium. I don't see that on their website.
  • Driving position has had advanced thanks to a straight handlebar and several metal or matt black elements replace the chrome parts. no mentioned of where that came from.
  • Silent supertrapp aluminium exhaust
Good luck!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome to the forum.. That does look like a nice bike, I hope you do end up getting one and customizing it to the tank machine. There was a post awhile back that had the white outline, I'll try to find it. The shocks looks OEM, but that shock cover is European or Australian so you'll need to import that. Your dealer might be able to help you out with some of the customization too. They might be able to get info from Indian of Paris. Good luck and keep us posted if you end up getting one and working on it.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm guessing this is more of a spring time event? I have owned street bikes when I was younger but at 61 now I think I'd like this program. We find summer temps in the 90s now which were unheard of as a kid in our area. I think riding on those typ of days would be great versus sitting in air conditioned house. Thanks 2ballde, Ron

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would also recommend to purchase to take an msf course and then purchase the bike. That's the process that i went through and i'm forever grateful for the experience. Check out the Scout builds. I think the style of bike that you'll really love is ScootNScout's bike. Read as many posts as possible and keep tabs on threads that interest you so that you can reference them later. Good luck!

·
Founding member
1,045 Posts
@moto_mike That's a good looking Scout. I look forward to seeing how yours turns out. It's definitely doable. As far as being new to riding goes, it can be learned the rest of us knuckle heads did it. But do take the time to learn what you're doing and learn as much as you can. I would recommend mirrors thought. I've managed to get bar end mirrors on mine and still keep those same bar end blinkers as on your dream bike. If you decide that you want to go that route I'll let you know how I did it. Your going to have a great time putting it all together. You don't necessarily need a grey bike to start with as the only things that are painted on a Scout are the fenders that you'll be replacing and the tank that gets stripped to raw metal so make your best deal on any color available. Keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.
CU.JPG

1 - 19 of 19 Posts