Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have been finding that, after a long day of riding, I'm physically exhausted. I finally figured out, it's because of baking my head in a full-face helmet all day. I'm looking for a full-face where you can actually feel the ventilation. Most that I've worn, you can't feel the difference with the vents open or closed. Might as well not even be there.

At this point, I don't care about price. I live in AZ and even on a cooler day in the direct sun, the noggin gets hot.

It must have a flip-up sun visor as I wear glasses and I'm not getting prescription shades. Modular is okay. Prefer that it not be a, "motocross" style helmet. Blue Tooth compatibility a definite plus as I have in-helmet Sena systems.

Thanks!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Agree with these. If you want to try something a little cheaper, the Scorpio EXO series is pretty good too.
I was reading on those. They do seem to get good reviews. Thanks!

Edit: On second look, the EXO series don't have the built-in sun screen.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have had good luck with a Shoei RF-1200, however I am sure you understand one issue can be the amount of air that you even have passing over your face and helmet. If your wind protection is too good you can get a stagnant area of air and no helmet will feel cool. With adjustable windscreen bikes you can always toy with the windscreen height so wind hits in the intake on top of the helmets, which fixed screens it becomes a dance of finding that right height at the start

·
Rider
1,409 Posts
The three helmets I mentioned above all have great reviews. I bought the Shoei GT Air II TC1 depicted below. I also required the internal flip sun visor as an absolute necessity. It really is a great helmet and ticks all my boxes. Not sure about the Schuberth as I prefer modular that look a bit more discreet when open rather than a yawning hippo.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was reading on those. They do seem to get good reviews. Thanks!

Edit: On second look, the EXO series don't have the built-in sun screen.
Depends on the model. For ex, EXO-ST1400 and EXO-GT920. Also some face shields also have transition lense type tech now - might open up your options. So glad I got lasik!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Bell bullitt will let in a ton of air.-almost like wearing a 3/4. But maybe not as good of protection as the other ones

Reactions: KI7QVR

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I wear an Arai RX-Q in Georgia summer heat and humidity. Good air flow. Fits my head. Next year I'll replace it with another Arai. Probably a Defiant-x.

·
Registered
238 Posts
To the OP, have you tried riding with your visor open 1 click? I have a Bell full face and the visor has a setting that opens it just off the gasket, maybe an 1/8th inch. Lets in a nice flow of air around town or in traffic. Then once you get up over 40 or so you just click it shut and let the vents handle it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes. Unfortunately, one click on mine is about 3/4" to an inch. I've already pulled the trigger on a new one. We'll see how it works. I really need to air to actually go through the vents and cool the top of my head. I'm in AZ and it gets toasty here. I realize nothing can compete with 100 degree temps, but, once the sun goes down, if we're not in stop/go traffic, we can handle 100 degrees after dusk or 90 during daylight hours. Those are our limits if the traffic is moving. We ride for pleasure so we try to avoid the city.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the GT-Air II with the Sena SRL-2, which fits seamlessly... I think that same unit is designed to fit the Neotec. I really like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Use a neotec in phoenix myself. With the windsheild down, you can certainly feel the air on the top of your head.

If you're riding in anything over about 95 in the phoenix area, the air will most likely cause your head to get hotter, not cooler. What has worked for me for the past 15 years is to remove the chin piece on the helmet liner, put a wet dew rag on my head under the helmet, close all forward facing vents and the shield on the helmet. If you get stopped for traffic, crack open the shield, but leave the vents closed. The idea is to stop the hot hair from contacting your skin directly, which will raise your tempurature.

I also carry a LOT of water within easy reach and drink it as often as possible. The summer phoenix temps (or spring if we're counting now) will evaporate any moisture on your skin so fast that it will have a very minimal effect at cooling you off.

Commuting trick - I road to work most days for 15 years in phoenix. Normal summer routine was right after lunch, I soaked a dew rag and a long sleave heat gear shirt in water, squeezed out the excess water, then wad them up and set them in a corner until just before i left for the ride home when I put them on. They're COLD at that point, and act like air conditioning inside your helmet and jacket for at least 30-40 minutes (vents closed on the jacket as well).

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received the new helmet. The large fit me perfectly as I measured my head before I ordered it. One question; why is the strap so damned short! Adjusted all the way out, I can only get one click on the ratchet. Amazing! I sent an email to Shoei. Hopefully, they make a longer strap or something. And, I don't have 3 chins; my chin, face is quite average.

·
Rider
410 Posts
K17QVR,

I'm a little late to the party here, but making a switch to an all white helmet was a game changer for me. It's also more visible to cagers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts