Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I need someone to do a test for me, but only if someone who has installed the SyKIK Ride "2CH - 1080P FHD Separating Lens DVR on their bike.
Each lens has a 140 deg width, and is HD. The DVR stores up to 20 hrs of video depending on your micro card. Excellent addition for long riders,or any riders actually.
I have one installed on my 2016 RoadMaster both front and rear.
I have an RF problem that I need to duplicate.

Thanks,
Robert

P,S. - Is this the same forum as the Indian Riders Motorcycle group?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have one installed on a 2014 Classic. The cameras both work well but I bought the GPS module and it has never worked at all. What is it you're wanting to do?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have one installed on a 2014 Classic. The cameras both work well but I bought the GPS module and it has never worked at all. What is it you're wanting to do?
Well, you just passed my test ...

I'm also a ham radio operator and recognized the problem right away as EMI interference in this case.
You can prove it by taking a piece of aluminum foil and covering the front camera and cable and your GPS should work fine.
Or simply unplug the front camera from the DVR.

So, I contacted my buddies at Fair-Rite Corp, told them the FPS (Frames per second) which are manufacturers of EMI and RF suppressors, and they're sending me a kit composed of several different ferrite snap on suppressors. Your unit puts out either 30 FPS or 60 FPS (if you selected Sports Mode manually). I left mine at stock 30 FPS.

The engineer said that this would probably require a combination of different ones, so along with the cores, he's including directions on which ones to install where. Normally, for snap on's, you want about 5 or 6 usually, but we'll see if what he is sending works period. Keep in mind that if this works, the ferrites will have to be installed near the front camera, not at the DVR. The reason is that the EMI produced by the cable from the rear camera will transfer over to the cable you just isolated. In my case, the two I already had were installed under the fairing on the cable of my 2016, so you wouldn't see them.
I have plenty of room for 5 or 6 myself.

The camera is great, but I don't like having to choose between GPS or camera, like you.
So I'm working to get this sorted out, and I'll update this after the install to let you know.

Regards,
Robert AC2MM

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Let me know what you come up with, I'd love for the GPS to function right. My install has the DVR under the seat, with the cable run to the front cam routed through the OEM cable channel under the tank. Only a few inches of parallel run for the front and rear cables. If you need any other info from me just let me know.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is to let you know I haven't forgot.
The first set Fair-Rite send got lost, thanks to USPS.
They sent a second set last week, hopefully this one will make it.
No need to reply, I promise to get back on this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, you thought this topic was dead and buried, not yet.

I've put in a lot of hours on this problem, and we've arrived at this point, but it's not resolved. Why I'm doing this is a good question that hasn't been asked ...yet. Parviz will give me my money back, no problem. But, I've been a tech person for most of my adult life, professionally and otherwise, so I have to try and resolve this out of curiosity if nothing else.

1. I need you or anyone having a similar problem with their GPS while using the SyKik unit to email the owner and tell him about it. He needs to know that I am not alone in this problem. Email Parviz at [email protected]. Tell him the details of your situation, and where you found out about this. He has told me there has been others, but he wants to get this resolved somehow. This is only the Indian forum. Think of all the other bike forums where this situation exists. If I knew how to send this note to more people, I would. He wants to know how serious this is, how many people are having difficulty.

2. Before I did anything, I could take my Zumo 390LM running on battery power (not attached to the mount), and place it close to the front camera or cable, and the unit would stop receiving satellite information. "No satellite reception" or something like that. After seeing it about 50 times, you'd think I'd remember by now...

3. After placing five ferrite chokes of two different mixes (from Fair-Rite) on the front camera cable under the fairing, I could now do the same test and the GPS would not lose satellite reception. The EMI that was on the front camera cable was successfully suppressed. We made progress...

4. When I attached the Zumo to the mount (now receiving the 5.3 VDC from the bike), after about 15 - 30 seconds, the GPS would fault out again, same message. After several tests, including test with an OScope, there was that 30 hz pulse on the incoming GPS DC line now. If you removed the GPS slightly from it's mount so it was not contacting the power posts, the GPS found the satellites again, no problem.

5. If I leave the GPS in it's mount, but remove only the Front camera cable from the SyKik DVR, the GPS works instantly.. If I remove the rear camera cable, the GPS still faults out. This says that the rear camera cable is not causing this to occur, and it's also not responsible for putting out that pulse on the DC line, the front camera is. Somewhere along it's route through the bike, it's acting like an antenna, and the bikes electrical system is picking it up and transmitting it to the GPS through it's power cable.

So now, Parviz is sending me six chokes to clamp the DC line into the GPS, as the power line is the same diameter as the front camera cable. (about 1/8")
I have my fingers crossed that these chokes will also suppress the pule on the DC line for the GPS. These chokes will also be installed under the fairing.
This is why any people having this situation needs to tell him, because having a major engineering change like the frequency is a big deal I suspect. There sure is a lot more GPS units out there than SyKik camera systems.
I did ask him to change the frequency, because when I went to 60 hz (Sport Mode), the problem got better, i.e., it took longer for the GPS to fault. So that implies that a higher frequency is the way to go, but I'm guessing that the cameras have a limited range. If there aren't enough complaints, then it's more cost effective just to give people their money back and go and buy a GoPro.
This is, I believe though, the only action cam dual setup with DVR and screen with a 20 hr rollover. I could be wrong.

So that's it for now. When I get the chokes installed, I'll be back with the results, success or failure. This will be as far as I'm willing to go.

Regards,
Robert

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whizzbangkc,
Have you emailed Parviz as I asked above?
It's important.

The conclusion of all this is that I have used all the chokes that were supplied, and they didn't work.
He maintains I'm the only one who is having this problem, so your email would at least help my case a little.

I'm sending mine back for a refund, and buying something else.

Robert

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I just saw this and sent him an email. As a clarification, is your issue with the native GPS receiver on the DVR or with a stand alone GPS system also mounted to the bike?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the zumo 880 series waterproof motorcycle portable, and a mount made specifically for the console of this bike.
I was successful at clamping the EMI on the camera cable, however the EMI got into the electrical system so that every time I snapped the GPS into the the mount, it would fault out.
I checked the 30 Hz square wave pulse with an occulliscope to verify.

So yesterday I sent it back for a refund via FedEx. There's other camera systems available now.

Ask any question you want, I'll do my best to answer.

Regards,
Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts