Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Need some questions answered - The Indian life...

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Sozzy1269 
#1 ·
Hi,
I love the new 2014 Indian Chief Vintage. Being a heavy Harley Davidson guy, I had a few questions I would very much appreciate being answered.

How easy is it getting parts for these? I know Harleys and Hondas you can more or less get fairly easily at any local shop. I have not seen a lot of Indian dealers around me and know they have had a sketchy business history...which leads me to my next question.

Would one be able to safely assume a new Indian will last ones lifetime, or is there a good possibility the business will go under again and parts will be hard to find to keep the bike running?

I have seen how expensive they are, a backrest alone goes for around $650 when HD sells them for about $250 or less. I can get past the $$$ as long as mechanical parts don't cost that much more, I just needed the above questions answered.

I fell in love with the Chief Vintage, but what's really stopping me is parts and Indians history. How is living the indian lifestyle? Harleys can never really die - parts are everywhere, what about Indians? Would love to make the switch..

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sometimes it's really hard to take these post serious. But I will address your concerns as best and legitimately as I can. First one must understand that things will not happen over night. Polaris is relaunching the Indian brand of motorcycles and it will take 2-3 years for everything to come on-line. They are adding dealers monthly and they have stated from the beginning of the relaunch that they expected around 120-140 dealers within a year. I don't know the number of Harley dealers there are but obviously it's probably more than 150. If Indian adds 140 dealers this year and another 60-80 dealers next year that should put a dealer within reasonable reach of most population centers. Indian has also said if you don't have an "authorized" dealer near you will be able to get parts and service from a Victory motorcycle dealer. So that makes it a little more reasonable (IMPO).

Sketchy business history is not necessarily the words I would have used, Shakey maybe. But the BIG difference this time is this ONE FACTOR= POLARIS. Polaris is a diverse Multi-Billion dollar global corporation. They have deep pocket and have stated they are behind the revival of Indian motorcycle 100%. And if initial success is any indication it appears they have chosen wisely and that it will pay good dividends for them. Polaris money has backed Victory motorcycles for 15 years and they are going stronger than ever. I don't see that trend (baring some unforeseen catastrophic event) changing. So my money would be on the new Spirit Lake Indian being around at least 15 years.

As far as the bike lasting a lifetime? The new Spirit Lake Indian is a 100% completely modern engineered machine using some of the absolute latest technology available in manufacturing today. The Victory motorcycle built by parent company Polaris have proven V-E-R-Y reliable over their lifespan. Most peoples complaints with Victories (if they have one) have been with some occasional electrical issues and paint quality issues. Those have actually proven to be the exception to the rule and not the norm. However one must remember that this is an electro-mechanical device and some occasional issues will pop up. Generally within the first couple years of a new model release. We see this with any manufacture of vehicles.

The cost of part will come down as more motorcycles are on the road and as more after market companies began making parts for these motorcycles. However as mentioned earlier this is a completely new machine and it will take a few years for the supply chain to catch up. Harley and Honda have been cranking out motorcycle for many years now. In the case of Harley to the tune of about 250,000 motorcycles a year worldwide. I think the Spirit Lake Indian will be doing good if it sells 10,000-12,000 motorcycles this year and another 10,000-12,000 motorcycles next year. As you can see with those numbers there probably will not be a parts supply catalog call "The Fat Book" for Indian motorcycle anytime soon.
As far as the Indian "Lifestyle" goes. If you are a person that like to be part of an exclusive, limited, small, fledgeling, rare, club you will enjoy the Indian "Lifestyle" for several years to come. If you enjoy being part of a Huge, gianormus, packed, dense, common, club then there are other motorcycle manufactures "Lifestyles" that fit that bill a little better. The good news is that it would appear (to most casual observers) that because Indian is an "iconic" American made motorcycle company that others from the gianormus, common club may be a little more tolerant of riders of Indian motorcycles and may not make attempts to ostracize them as much as riders of other motorcycles. However this is also yet to be seem and confirmed.

I've tried to answer your questions as best and intelligently as I am able. I truly hope you take the plunge and acquire a new Spirit Lake Indian and ride the heck out of this great machine.
Best Reguards,
Xlr8

#3 ·
Indian has also said if you don't have an "authorized" dealer near you will be able to get parts and service from a Victory motorcycle dealer. So that makes it a little more reasonable (IMPO).
Xlr8
That is really good to hear, my dealer said the opposite. I was hoping for this as there is a Victory dealer in my home town.

As for the above questions, I had a similar thought on parts longevity, that is until I got to the Indian dealership. I have been an Indian fan since I was a kid, once I laid eyes on the bike in person I bought it instantly, didn't even bother to test drive, couldn't be happier.

#4 · (Edited)
Sometimes it's really hard to take these post serious. But I will address your concerns as best and legitimately as I can. First one must understand that things will not happen over night. Polaris is relaunching the Indian brand of motorcycles and it will take 2-3 years for everything to come on-line. They are adding dealers monthly and they have stated from the beginning of the relaunch that they expected around 120-140 dealers within a year. I don't know the number of Harley dealers there are but obviously it's probably more than 150. If Indian adds 140 dealers this year and another 60-80 dealers next year that should put a dealer within reasonable reach of most population centers. Indian has also said if you don't have an "authorized" dealer near you will be able to get parts and service from a Victory motorcycle dealer. So that makes it a little more reasonable (IMPO).

Sketchy business history is not necessarily the words I would have used, Shakey maybe. But the BIG difference this time is this ONE FACTOR= POLARIS. Polaris is a diverse Multi-Billion dollar global corporation. They have deep pocket and have stated they are behind the revival of Indian motorcycle 100%. And if initial success is any indication it appears they have chosen wisely and that it will pay good dividends for them. Polaris money has backed Victory motorcycles for 15 years and they are going stronger than ever. I don't see that trend (baring some unforeseen catastrophic event) changing. So my money would be on the new Spirit Lake Indian being around at least 15 years.

As far as the bike lasting a lifetime? The new Spirit Lake Indian is a 100% completely modern engineered machine using some of the absolute latest technology available in manufacturing today. The Victory motorcycle built by parent company Polaris have proven V-E-R-Y reliable over their lifespan. Most peoples complaints with Victories (if they have one) have been with some occasional electrical issues and paint quality issues. Those have actually proven to be the exception to the rule and not the norm. However one must remember that this is an electro-mechanical device and some occasional issues will pop up. Generally within the first couple years of a new model release. We see this with any manufacture of vehicles.

The cost of part will come down as more motorcycles are on the road and as more after market companies began making parts for these motorcycles. However as mentioned earlier this is a completely new machine and it will take a few years for the supply chain to catch up. Harley and Honda have been cranking out motorcycle for many years now. In the case of Harley to the tune of about 250,000 motorcycles a year worldwide. I think the Spirit Lake Indian will be doing good if it sells 10,000-12,000 motorcycles this year and another 10,000-12,000 motorcycles next year. As you can see with those numbers there probably will not be a parts supply catalog call "The Fat Book" for Indian motorcycle anytime soon.
As far as the Indian "Lifestyle" goes. If you are a person that like to be part of an exclusive, limited, small, fledgeling, rare, club you will enjoy the Indian "Lifestyle" for several years to come. If you enjoy being part of a Huge, gianormus, packed, dense, common, club then there are other motorcycle manufactures "Lifestyles" that fit that bill a little better. The good news is that it would appear (to most casual observers) that because Indian is an "iconic" American made motorcycle company that others from the gianormus, common club may be a little more tolerant of riders of Indian motorcycles and may not make attempts to ostracize them as much as riders of other motorcycles. However this is also yet to be seem and confirmed.

I've tried to answer your questions as best and intelligently as I am able. I truly hope you take the plunge and acquire a new Spirit Lake Indian and ride the heck out of this great machine.
Best Reguards,
Xlr8
No, hey I really appreciate the thorough answers. It is a serious question, I'm not here to stir a brand VS brand debate.
I remember the first time I seen an Indian on the highway, that image never left my head. I am really considering one, I would just hate to take the plunge and then years later be unable to obtain parts.
After reading your response I'm feeling a bit better about it all. I didn't know Polaris was now involved, that's great news.

Most of the HD guys I know love the Indians, but they wouldn't want to own one because of the reasons above and the history (and pricing). Maybe the more Indian establishes itself this time around that will change.

I was told they were so expensive because they only make limited runs every year.
Now in comparison, say compared to a HD or Honda, how much are Indians parts? An oil filter for example? I couldn't find pricing on Polaris's parts website.

One last quibble, they don't seem to make service manuals for the Indians.?

Thanks again for the help.

#6 ·
I just made the switch, being a Harley guy since 1970. Polaris now owns Indian, and they have the financial resources and reputation behind them. They also have a network of Polaris/Victory dealers (my Indian dealer is also Polaris/Victory). I have had many different Harleys (last one an 08 Ultra Classic) and although I loved them all, so far the new Indian Chieftain tops them all.

#8 ·
Would be nice if Polaris/Victory fast tracked getting Indians to Alaska, I would be first in line for one.
S,, fly down to Seattle (****** got a Fly n Ride on their dime), buy yor new Big Chief ***** and ride it back. there are roads, at least one that goes there? make a vacation out of it. how far can that be? I flew 800 miles to Lincoln, Nb (on ****** dime) and rode 3k smiles home.

oh, yor concerned about dealer support. are you married to your current dealer there at north pole? do you do all/most your own service? why would you think these new state of art engineered ****** are any diff than say a new Honda.. or for sake of the minions Victory?
somebody wrote, well how much are oil filters? yeah like ***** makes their own filters, there 10bux, its the same filter and oil.
As much as these are Iconic brand name iron, these New motor sleds have more in common with current state of engineering products ISO90002 than those farm grade paint n kromed over lawnmowers coming outa milwaukee.. having a dealer in your neighborhood is no longer a requirement to keep your motor on the road. and out of the shop.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.