Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2014 Vintage that I have spent considerable time, and some money, into making it what I want. I love the bike, and I want to keep it.
Herein lies the issue. As I near retirement, I want to do more touring. One up isn't a problem, I have a nice tour bag, and along with what I can put in the saddlebags, it serves me well. But I can see a time or two every year (for a while) taking my wife with me, and for touring any long distances for her the Vintage pillion seat and passenger pegs are not very comfortable, at all.
Two of my riding buddies just got new Roadmasters, and they look alot more comfortable. This last summer our little group flew to the Pacific northwest and rented Harley RoadGlides. My wife was comfortable, but anything under 10 mph the bikes were a total handful, being incredibly top-heavy. My Vintage 2-up was much more maneuverable, and my friends with the Roadmasters said the same with their rides.
So...here's what I want to find out. Before we go any further, I LOVE my Vintage, I don't want to get a Roadmaster. I can get passenger floor boards, but I need suggestions for a more comfortable seat, backrest and probably a trunk; all that can be removed when I'm not touring. My leather is the distressed brown, and any seats and other I would like to make match.
Please give me your ideas... they're all welcome

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here’s a trunk option …

For seats you could try something like this … sheepskin pads with/without a gel seat underneath…

depending on what you want to spend … I believe a roadmaster heated seat would fit. (About $1100) and you could cover it with the sheepskin too … (cause it probably won’t match…

Also you can change your stock shock for an Air Shock … like the Springfield, Chieftain and Roadmaster …

I look forward to suggestions from other folks too…

·
Bronze member
1,668 Posts
I owned a Vintage and have an RM and I can tell you this - putting a trunk on a Vintage, of any type, will change the way it handles. A trunk raises the overall center of gravity of the bike and impacts handling. Plus, with the increased rake on the VIntage, it's already a "slower" handling bike than the RM. Also, H-D's by nature have a completely different handling issue due to a naturally higher CG as well as a mild steel frame that has a tendency to flex.

I would suggest taking your wife on a demo ride On an RM and seeing for yourself. If you haven't ridden a lot with a passenger and luggage, it does take some getting used to as well as adjusting your braking points and steering. Anytime you have a passenger on any bike it's going to be harder under 10MPH.

Reactions: Bird Dog

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I owned a Vintage and have an RM and I can tell you this - putting a trunk on a Vintage, of any type, will change the way it handles. A trunk raises the overall center of gravity of the bike and impacts handling. Plus, with the increased rake on the VIntage, it's already a "slower" handling bike than the RM. Also, H-D's by nature have a completely different handling issue due to a naturally higher CG as well as a mild steel frame that has a tendency to flex.

I would suggest taking your wife on a demo ride On an RM and seeing for yourself. If you haven't ridden a lot with a passenger and luggage, it does take some getting used to as well as adjusting your braking points and steering. Anytime you have a passenger on any bike it's going to be harder under 10MPH.
I've had the Vintage for six years, and we're accustomed to riding 2-up. Every summer I've taken an extended trip with luggage one up. The slow speed handling on the Harley was so bad that my one buddy who was a hard-core Harley man traded for a new Roadmaster after one test ride. The RM's quicker handling was apparent when I rode his RM. I am expecting a change in the way it handles, it's just that I really like my Vintage and I don't need another bike sitting around.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here’s a trunk option …

For seats you could try something like this … sheepskin pads with/without a gel seat underneath…

depending on what you want to spend … I believe a roadmaster heated seat would fit. (About $1100) and you could cover it with the sheepskin too … (cause it probably won’t match…

Also you can change your stock shock for an Air Shock … like the Springfield, Chieftain and Roadmaster …

I look forward to suggestions from other folks too…
I do have an air shock to install, it's on the list of sh*t to do. I'm wondering if a Roadmaster seat is any more comfortable for the passenger than the stock Vintage pillion?

·
Bronze member
3,564 Posts
every body's butt is different... but a lot of RM owners change it out... you could put out a BOLO on a RM Classic trunk and it would match your leather fine... maybe you can even order them from Indian yet I don't know..

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had a 2016 Springfield with a Indian Trunk and when I was going two up fully loaded with luggage, I found that it was quite a handful at slower speeds, especially coming to a stop I found the bike would "wobble" a bit and the front felt light. All this went away when I removed the trunk and rode single.

I have since upgraded to a Roadmaster, and surprisingly, even though it is heavier, it handles much better than the Springfield. It feels lighter and much more stable. I don't have the wobble issue when stopping and the seating position just feels better and more comfortable to me. My wife absolutely loves the RM and finds it very comfortable for long all day rides. I have the stock RM seat and see no reason to change it.

Hope this helps.

Hank.

·
Bronze member
2,975 Posts
Any bike that has a loaded trunk added will feel more top-heavy. I had my RM setup without the trunk and a solo seat. When touring, I’d change to the touring seat and add the trunk…yes, it was noticeably more top heavy. Add a passenger and it’s even worse.

if you really like the Vintage, add floorboards, get a better seat for your BSR, and add a removable trunk. You’ll have a fine touring bike.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I put a air shock and passenger floor boards on my 2016 Vintage then added the Roadmaster seat . Wife says its way more comfy now. The luggage rack fits tight but does go on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep... I understand that any bike loaded up will be top heavy and suffer handling problems.

My point was, that the Roadmaster was built to accommodate a trunk and a passenger and that as such it feels more stable loaded than the Springfield did, and that I spent a lot of money on my Springfield to turn it into a "Touring Machine", (Trunk, Oil cooler, Heated Grips, GPS, Wind Deflectors, etc.), only to be dis-satisfied with the result.
So, all I meant to convey was to have a good think on what you really want before you commit to the big dollars.

Hank.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yep... I understand that any bike loaded up will be top heavy and suffer handling problems.

My point was, that the Roadmaster was built to accommodate a trunk and a passenger and that as such it feels more stable loaded than the Springfield did, and that I spent a lot of money on my Springfield to turn it into a "Touring Machine", (Trunk, Oil cooler, Heated Grips, GPS, Wind Deflectors, etc.), only to be dis-satisfied with the result.
So, all I meant to convey was to have a good think on what you really want before you commit to the big dollars.

Hank.
If you are dis-satisfied, sell the bike and move on to bagger Chieftain or Roadmaster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you have misread everything i said.
I did buy a new Roadmaster to tour on. That was the whole point of my previous posts!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts