Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Rider
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Chieftain and I need to get two new tires and I told them that the TPMS doesn't come on for about 8 -10 miles. They tell me that I need to replace them both as they are only good for about three to four years. The tires were $528.00 mounted and balanced and installed for Dunlaps or $492.00 for Metzlers. At first the TPMS were $175.00 each and then dropped the price when I complained and said forget the TPMS just do the tires. Well then the service manager says let me look at this and the price comes down to $101.00 each and he says we will throw in the reprogramming for free as the ECM has to be done. This is at my local Indian dealer and the next Indian dealers are well over 100 miles away and the rear tire is bad. It seems like when ever I need work done it is big bucks. What has everyone else paid for this?

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Yup. Just tires though. Dunlop E4. My 2014 was still on the 5 year warranty so tpms was fixed for free. I don't do tires and a belt alignment myself

·
Silver member
6,285 Posts
That's pretty pricey to be replacing TPMS every 3 yrs or so. Not worth it IMO.
You might be better off getting them to install metal tire valve stems if you don't already have them and then buy wireless TPMS valve caps from SYKIK for $50 or from somewhere else.

·
Rider
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem is that the dash flashes when the tires are low and I don't know if this can be over ridden. I have never replaced them, just looked on Cheap Cycle parts and they list them at $102.50 each. If I was younger I would pull the wheels off my self and get new tires installed but at current prices it doesn't seem to save much.

·
260 Posts
2014 don't have a TPMS shut off so you have to pay the price or live with the flashing light . I think they changed an over-ride in 2017.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Those prices sound very reasonable to me. The tires can be bought for about $375 mail order...add about $30 for mounting an balancing (each) and you're up to $435...so @ $528...about $100 for the R&R labor sounds good. (I recently removed my own tires/wheels and saved $ but @ $528 I'd consider letting someone else have all the fun! lol.) The TPMS parts are expensive (like all genuine Indian parts and accessories) and the dealer gave you a discount. I'm sure my local dealer would be $800+ for the tires and $400+ for TPMS...

·
Rider
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just have to wait until then, way too hot to ride right now as it was 117f in phoenix while there yesterday and 109f in Tucson.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just have to wait until then, way too hot to ride right now as it was 117f in phoenix while there yesterday and 109f in Tucson.
I hear ya....these bikes aren't nearly as much fun to ride in the heat. I'm always amazed at how much better mine runs on a cool day....they love cool, dense air....and I like the engine heat on a cool day. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2014 Chieftain and I need to get two new tires and I told them that the TPMS doesn't come on for about 8 -10 miles. They tell me that I need to replace them both as they are only good for about three to four years. The tires were $528.00 mounted and balanced and installed for Dunlaps or $492.00 for Metzlers. At first the TPMS were $175.00 each and then dropped the price when I complained and said forget the TPMS just do the tires. Well then the service manager says let me look at this and the price comes down to $101.00 each and he says we will throw in the reprogramming for free as the ECM has to be done. This is at my local Indian dealer and the next Indian dealers are well over 100 miles away and the rear tire is bad. It seems like when ever I need work done it is big bucks. What has everyone else paid for this?
101 dollars per sensor is right and well worth the price for your safety. More than once a sensor has warned me of a nail in my tire and gotten me home safely. Tire price is very good deal out the door. Larry

·
Rider
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone, I guess getting a new tire out the door for $200 is long gone unless you want some junk tire. Last new tire I purchased was on the Vic and was an Avon for that.

·
Rider
1,233 Posts
I hear ya....these bikes aren't nearly as much fun to ride in the heat. I'm always amazed at how much better mine runs on a cool day....they love cool, dense air....and I like the engine heat on a cool day. :)
My 2016 Stage 2 Chieftain is the same way, it seems to really love the cool dense air on 50-60 degree days. :p

·
Bronze member
2,477 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
How's the grip?

Did a write up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts