Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a new Cheiftan and in the effort to remove the CAT I'd like to replace the full exhaust system. The key is she does not want it any (or much) louder than the factory exhaust. Rush offers several sizes in baffles and am wondering if any one has experience with the 2.25" or 2" exhaust baffles.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,005 Posts
My wife has a new Cheiftan and in the effort to remove the CAT I'd like to replace the full exhaust system. The key is she does not want it any (or much) louder than the factory exhaust. Rush offers several sizes in baffles and am wondering if any one has experience with the 2.25" or 2" exhaust baffles.

Thanks!
You remove the cat and put Warhorses on its gonna be L.O.U.D.

I just have the Rush Warhorse slip ons and they are much louder than stock. The nice thing about Rush is the ease of baffle switching.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You remove the cat and put Warhorses on its gonna be L.O.U.D.

I just have the Rush Warhorse slip ons and they are much louder than stock. The nice thing about Rush is the ease of baffle switching.
Which baffle size did you get?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have Rush True Duals with Warhorse mufflers and 2.5” Baffles matched up to a Lloyd’s intake filter and Indian Stage 2 Cams. I did the exhaust and intake first and lost torque. The Indian Cams brought a lot of the torque back.

My person preference I have the rush exhaust powder coated matt black because I didn’t like the color they came from Rush. The pic are the pipes after the powder coating I had done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Rush's can be just as quite if you get the smaller baffles. I think it Larger louder but forget.
the lower the number on the baffle, the quieter it is. Lower number equals more restrictive.

Hoping to hear from someone that has the 2.25" or 2".

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have Rush True Duals with Warhorse mufflers and 2.5” Baffles matched up to a Lloyd’s intake filter and Indian Stage 2 Cams. I did the exhaust and intake first and lost torque. The Indian Cams brought a lot of the torque back.

My person preference I have the rush exhaust powder coated matt black because I didn’t like the color they came from Rush. The pic are the pipes after the powder coating I had done.
Thanks for the input! she has Chrome so maybe i wont have the same issue. Did you do the install yourself?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for the input! she has Chrome so maybe i wont have the same issue. Did you do the install yourself?
Yes, it was fairly easy. The hard part is they add a washer to the right footboard mounts to give the pipe room to route through.

·
Registered
399 Posts
To tell you the truth, any changes over stock exhaust will make it louder. I initially went with Rush and their standard 2.5" baffles and was fine with it. That is until I removed the CAT. I since switched to the 2.25" baffles and they are much more tolerable, but still louder than stock. I like the tone since it moved down the frequency range to a much lower tone that my ears can handle with tinnitus. My ears can't stand loud high frequency noises. I know some people frown upon using ear plugs, but they remove some of volume of noise and make long distance ridding more enjoyable for me. If you can, order them with the 2.00" baffles first. You can always install the larger baffles if it is to quiet. If I remember correctly, the Indian OEM mufflers are 1-5/8" baffles from the factory.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh man, you are a life saver! That is the response I needed. BTW, I’m running Freedom TD with the Indian S1&2 and it is too loud for me, and yes, I have a wicked case Tinnitus also so I almost always ride with my Earpeace M earplugs. Mainly for wind noise. Anyway, the wife says my bike is too loud for her also. Thanks so much for your advice!! Life saver!

To tell you the truth, any changes over stock exhaust will make it louder. I initially went with Rush and their standard 2.5" baffles and was fine with it. That is until I removed the CAT. I since switched to the 2.25" baffles and they are much more tolerable, but still louder than stock. I like the tone since it moved down the frequency range to a much lower tone that my ears can handle with tinnitus. My ears can't stand loud high frequency noises. I know some people frown upon using ear plugs, but they remove some of volume of noise and make long distance ridding more enjoyable for me. If you can, order them with the 2.00" baffles first. You can always install the larger baffles if it is to quiet. If I remember correctly, the Indian OEM mufflers are 1-5/8" baffles from the factory.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh man, you are a life saver! That is the response I needed. BTW, I’m running Freedom TD with the Indian S1&2 and it is too loud for me, and yes, I have a wicked case Tinnitus also so I almost always ride with my Earpeace M earplugs. Mainly for wind noise. Anyway, the wife says my bike is too loud for her also. Thanks so much for your advice!! Life saver!
No problem. Glad I could be of any help. Yes the wind noise is the reason why I too, use ear plugs when I ride. I use them when I ride more than 10 minutes. How are the "Earpeace M" earplugs work for you? Are they custom fitted?
Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The EarPeace unit is a one size fits all equation. It comes with a nice little carry tube and different value attenuators though I settled on the least attenuation as it works beautifully with our coms units am still hushes all the wind. I can still listen to music from my headset as well.

Question on your exhaust, do you you just have the mufflers or do you have the full exhaust system?

No problem. Glad I could be of any help. Yes the wind noise is the reason why I too, use ear plugs when I ride. I use them when I ride more than 10 minutes. How are the "Earpeace M" earplugs work for you? Are they custom fitted?
Thanks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have the OEM exhaust with the CAT removed and the Rush Warhorse mufflers. Thanks for the EarPeace information. I'll look that up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great thread. I just installed WH muffler w/ 2.5" baffle on my Chieftain and it sounds great. My question is, where are you finding replacement baffles for your Rush mufflers?! I've looked all over the web and can't find them for the Indian (45005/45015 series pipe). Plan to go true dual and want to find 2.25". Thanks!

·
Founding member
1,074 Posts
I have the full Rush exhaust. They are ceramic coated which also helps with the heat. I have the Indian stage one air cleaner and factory stage one tune.The bike runs great.

I have 2.25 baffles which are louder than stock but not crazy loud.

Two years and the chrome looks good as new.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts