Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get my hair cut yesterday for a funeral today.
I was wearing one of my Indian jackets. The stylist ask if I owned an Indian. I replied yes. She then says we do too.
So I start asking her about her Indian during my haircut. Here is the short version:
Her husbands Aunt (Yes) purchased it new in 2003. She put 900 miles on it. 9 months after purchasing she died of cancer. The bike was parked in her parents garage for the next 13 years!
My stylist and her husband were over at the deceased owners parents how just drinking beer and one thing led to another and tge subject of the 03 Indian was brought up.
They were all standing around drinking in the garage. The deceased lady's dad, pulled the tarp off and they were all checking it out.
My stylist husband finally ask if the parents would consider selling it. Her father then said, how about we give it to you?
This was in the early summer of 17. The new owners hauled it up to my dealer to be gone over. After all new fluids, tires belts etc they picked it up and rode in 15 miles home.
The new owner then took the safety class. He as never riden it since 17.
He is afraid of the size since he's never riden a bike, so his wife wanted to know what I thought it was worth. I guessed 10'12k and told her about the forum.

So, guys....tell me what you know about this year and model Gilroy. I think with cash, I could get it for between 8-10k. Would that be a good deal?

Are there any bad characteristic to look out for?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Darren

·
Silver member
5,294 Posts
8-10 is a good price, but it needs the engine update before 10k unless it’s already been done. Otherwise it will likely grenade in you. Review Jamltd’s and Blackhawk mototworks, and Joe Malaga’s site for info. The correct fix will cost you about 3,500.00, but then you have a 100k engine.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
8-10 is a good price, but it needs the engine update before 10k unless it’s already been done. Otherwise it will likely grenade in you. Review Jamltd’s and Blackhawk mototworks, and Joe Malaga’s site for info. The correct fix will cost you about 3,500.00, but then you have a 100k engine.
Expound on "engine update" before 10k?
I can assure you it hasn't been done. I wouldn't think they knew of an issue in 03 when it was bought and subsequently parked.
Is the original engine that much of a time bomb?

·
Silver member
5,294 Posts
After reading that article, sounds to me like the PP was a junk engine.
The junk aspect of it was the venture capitalists that forced them to cheapen the product when it went into production. The prototype models were very solid. The KM bike's utilized the same engines, but tightened up on the specs.

Not all of them will time bomb, but many did. You just don't know unless you test them. Once they are fixed they are a solid engine and run great with lots of power. The point being if you are out ahead of it you won't damage your cases and the fix is much cheaper...

·
Silver member
5,294 Posts
I would like to have a PP100 just because it was a proprietary engine that was designed as an Indian motor vs. my S&S Indian built in 2001. Granted, I love the 01, but it seems more original if you have the PP100. Plus the bottlecap is a beautifully sculpted motor...

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The junk aspect of it was the venture capitalists that forced them to cheapen the product when it went into production. The prototype models were very solid. The KM bike's utilized the same engines, but tightened up on the specs.

Not all of them will time bomb, but many did. You just don't know unless you test them. Once they are fixed they are a solid engine and run great with lots of power. The point being if you are out ahead of it you won't damage your cases and the fix is much cheaper...
With this in mind, since it has most likely never even been check, I think I should make an offer lowered by the potential cost to fix in the event I have to.

·
Registered
199 Posts
With this in mind, since it has most likely never even been check, I think I should make an offer lowered by the potential cost to fix in the event I have to.
I got mine with 10k miles for $4,500 less than a year ago. The engine is at Blackhawk Motors as we speak. If the bike is as pristine as it sounds, you might get it cheap enough to still be good after a rebuild. Just a follow up on that rebuild,,,,I'm gonna be just under $6k with the $1k upgrades I've chosen and just under $550 for freight. Soooooo you might conciter that before you make that offer.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I would like to have a PP100 just because it was a proprietary engine that was designed as an Indian motor vs. my S&S Indian built in 2001. Granted, I love the 01, but it seems more original if you have the PP100. Plus the bottlecap is a beautifully sculpted motor...
Got one sitting in my garage on an engine stand I'd part with......it was bought at the factory when it closed. If the bike has the newer Mansfield or Ramsden cases you are in much better shape. The earlier cases were shit. When I worked for Crazyhorse Motorcycles, the owner had cases cut in half so you could see the differences in all of the 3 castings and where the issue was......Gilroy could have fixed the issue for about 250 bucks per engine but decided it was better to hemmorrage 250,000 grand a month in warranty work which is what ultimately did them in.

The PP100 is a good engine.

·
Silver member
5,294 Posts
How can I tell which cases I have. Mine is a blackhawk rebuild
If Blackhawk already rebuilt yours than you should have no worries. Ride on!

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got one sitting in my garage on an engine stand I'd part with......it was bought at the factory when it closed. If the bike has the newer Mansfield or Ramsden cases you are in much better shape. The earlier cases were shit. When I worked for Crazyhorse Motorcycles, the owner had cases cut in half so you could see the differences in all of the 3 castings and where the issue was......Gilroy could have fixed the issue for about 250 bucks per engine but decided it was better to hemmorrage 250,000 grand a month in warranty work which is what ultimately did them in.

The PP100 is a good engine.
Any way to tell if they are Mansfield or Ramsden from the exterior

1 - 20 of 48 Posts