Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just ordered a set of spoke laced wheels.

-The front wheel is 3x19. The front tire is a 130/60-19.

-The rear tire is 5.5x18. The rear tire is a 200/55-18

Ive gotten conflicting information from various experts as far as inner tube size. Some recommend to install an inner tube that is slightly smaller than the tire width, while others recommend to install an inner tube that is a little bigger than the tire width. For example, some say that running a 180mm tube on the 200mm rear tire will work. Others recommend running a 240mm tube even if the tube is not fully inflated. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, I’m new to the Indian family and to this forum. Super excited to join the tribe

·
Registered
442 Posts
Go with the smaller ones and keep in mind that your tire size is measured OUTSIDE a fairly thick "rubber-thing" and your inner tube, as the name suggests, goes INSIDE, where the width is considerably smaller. :unsure::geek::cool:(y)It's "rubber" for god's sake and even a little "overinflation" is always better than an underinflated, too big inner tube, that could have wrinkles in it which for sure weakens the tube and could cause premature failure. :eek::mad:

Reactions: Max Kool

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah well, that was my train of thought too but a wheel expert who I spoke with yesterday said that a slightly bigger inner tube will fill out a tire more adequately even if it’s not fully inflated. According to him, the tire has enough structure to where the ride won’t feel mushy, and the inner tube is less susceptible to popping since it’s not over stretched

·
Registered
442 Posts
Go with whatever YOU believe :unsure:- no clue what makes your "expert" and "expert" :geek: - know what I mean? I'm for sure no wheel/tire expert but am running slightly smaller inner tubes in the spoked wheels of my Bonnie hack - all 3 wheels - for years and without any problems. Guess others should/will have an opinion here, too.
And don't forget, this is the internet :alien::devilish::eek: and whatever you read on the internet is true :LOL::ROFLMAO:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts