Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*****THIS IS NOT A SALE LISTING BTW :)

How do you guys do this? How do you price your trade in or know what to expect? After 3 years and 25K miles on my 2016 Scout. I'm ready to make the upgrade and get either a Chieftain or a DH Springfield. In a perfect world I'd keep my baby and have two rides to choose from, but I'm trying to prepare because I know my fiance will definitely veto that idea haha.

2016 Scout Silver
3-4k invested in accessories- all listed below
I religiously read the forums to make it the best ride possible. 25K in mileage def makes the value go down, but no regrets right? Every single mile was earned and enjoyed. I'm just trying to price it fair. What do you guys think for CA? 6000-7000? Is that a fair price? I want the bike to go to a good home, just don't know if its worth it to sell privately or take a shot trading it in. I want to service the bike at least and make a decision on maybe keeping the radiantz slimline tailight which has been ooookkkk as far as performance. On cycle trader i've seen anywhere from 5k to 10k for similar years.

Kuryakn Handgrips.
10 inch mini apes
Vance and Hines Slash cut slip on exhaust
Indian skull cover- oil- Dean Speeds
Scout dean speed sissy bar
Mustang solo seat
Mustang passenger seat
Dark Horse front shocks
Dark horse rear adjustable shocks
Passenger pegs
Pirelli night dragon tires
JW SPEAKER headlight
Radiantz Rear slimline taillight
Dime city cycles front and rear blinkers

Again, this is not a sale listing. I'm just trying to find help from the community on setting a fair price. Next option is what bike to get, either a DH chieftain or Springfield but we'll get to that later :).

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
*****THIS IS NOT A SALE LISTING BTW :)

How do you guys do this? How do you price your trade in or know what to expect? After 3 years and 25K miles on my 2016 Scout. I'm ready to make the upgrade and get either a Chieftain or a DH Springfield. In a perfect world I'd keep my baby and have two rides to choose from, but I'm trying to prepare because I know my fiance will definitely veto that idea haha.

2016 Scout Silver
3-4k invested in accessories- all listed below
I religiously read the forums to make it the best ride possible. 25K in mileage def makes the value go down, but no regrets right? Every single mile was earned and enjoyed. I'm just trying to price it fair. What do you guys think for CA? 6000-7000? Is that a fair price? I want the bike to go to a good home, just don't know if its worth it to sell privately or take a shot trading it in. I want to service the bike at least and make a decision on maybe keeping the radiantz slimline tailight which has been ooookkkk as far as performance. On cycle trader i've seen anywhere from 5k to 10k for similar years.

Kuryakn Handgrips.
10 inch mini apes
Vance and Hines Slash cut slip on exhaust
Indian skull cover- oil- Dean Speeds
Scout dean speed sissy bar
Mustang solo seat
Mustang passenger seat
Dark Horse front shocks
Dark horse rear adjustable shocks
Passenger pegs
Pirelli night dragon tires
JW SPEAKER headlight
Radiantz Rear slimline taillight
Dime city cycles front and rear blinker.
nice bike! Man you put a lot into that. This is just my opinion, i would ask the dealership what they’re going to give on trade in. I would do a search in your area for other scouts and similar bikes - see what the range is.

if it looks possible i would just add $1g to $2g to what the dealer is offering and see if you get any hits. If not kill the ad and take it in on trade in day.

or if you have the time, with that much done to it ask around the upper limit you found $10g. Good newer exhaust Is a pretty good selling point

·
Registered
386 Posts
First off: Forget all the money you spent on the upgrades over the years! :eek: Ok, forget most of it :oops: your future buyer might not even want these upgrades on your bike and you have to rebuilt to OEM - the good news then is, you can sell the parts here for extra cash. (y):cool:
Second: You have arrived at the only fair price when you found a buyer handing over cash ;)
Third: Honestly I'd say (I'm by no means an expert in pricing) a listing of 6-7k sounds "fair" to me and I might call you on this bike (no, I might not actually call you, I'm fine with what I have - but assuming I'm in the market for a 2016 Scout, I'd probably call) But be prepared the caller is a pro and negotiates the price down to 5k. Just be mentally prepared for a "low-end" you'd let her go and start higher. Keep in mind very few people buy "list price" - but it must be marked "close enough" to get people interested.
Best bet would be to show the bike to a dealer and talk about a trade in. A private sale should be 1-2k higher than the trade in.
All the above is my personal opinion and experience - so take that advice or leave it, don't beat me up if anybody disagrees :D:cool:

Reactions: bayardod

·
Registered
81 Posts
First off: Forget all the money you spent on the upgrades
All the above is my personal opinion and experience - so take that advice or leave it, don't beat me up if anybody disagrees :D:cool:
ive heard the same, the most you can get for your bike is when its stock. My buddy told me to keep everything ive replaced on mine because everyone wants to start with a blank slate

however, when it comes to exhaust, bags, The seat, even the sissy bar - those are options a potential buyer might prefer over stock.

i think this guys right, sell your upgrades seperately if you have the original stuff - if not hope the person buying it wants it cuz it looks killer. Personally id take any exhaust over stock because its newer than stock. Even though they’re slipons in this case....

hope thats confusing af.

sorry lol

·
Registered
480 Posts
First off: Forget all the money you spent on the upgrades over the years! :eek: Ok, forget most of it :oops: your future buyer might not even want these upgrades on your bike and you have to rebuilt to OEM - the good news then is, you can sell the parts here for extra cash. (y):cool:
Second: You have arrived at the only fair price when you found a buyer handing over cash ;)
Third: Honestly I'd say (I'm by no means an expert in pricing) a listing of 6-7k sounds "fair" to me and I might call you on this bike (no, I might not actually call you, I'm fine with what I have - but assuming I'm in the market for a 2016 Scout, I'd probably call) But be prepared the caller is a pro and negotiates the price down to 5k. Just be mentally prepared for a "low-end" you'd let her go and start higher. Keep in mind very few people buy "list price" - but it must be marked "close enough" to get people interested.
Best bet would be to show the bike to a dealer and talk about a trade in. A private sale should be 1-2k higher than the trade in.
I concur.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
I agree with the comments above. First, get a trade in price from a dealer. Most might do it by phone with the understanding it is subject to physical inspection. Check it against Blue Book or some other 3rd party source (or do this first). I have traded in 2 bikes in the last 3 years and was offered a trade in value nearly exactly the same as listed in Blue Book or similar places. Bear in mind the dealer's trade in price will not be a single cent higher because of what options you have. Tell the dealer you have some accessories, but will remove them. Strip all (or most) the accessories and sell them here or Ebay. That's what I did each time and got about 50-60% of MSRP on most items. Removing accessories, listing then, and selling them is bit of I pain, but you will be making about $300 an hour to do so. Just my suggestion based upon personal experience. Also check for Indian factory trade in incentives. Both of my trade ins included $1500-$2500 extra trade in value, making the trade in a no-brainer compared to a private sale.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts