Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Need help on Scout Decision, new Scout 60 or used Scout?

11640 63
I am pretty sure I am going to purchase a Scout after doing research and looking at what feels right. I am planning to test drive one tomorrow and there seems to be very little difference between the Scout and Scout 60.

There is a used Scout 2016 with about 4500 miles on it that also comes with quite a few accessories including jacket, helmet, back pegs, back seat, gloves, black leather seat, and saddlebags to name a few. It is priced ~ 8k. I do not know how long there is left on the warranty but I understand that in the US it usually comes with 2 years?

On the other hand, I really like the Red model for the Scout 60 (better price point). I would like ABS but I think that only comes on the 2017 Scout Red and I can't go above 10k. Also, there is a 2016 Black Scout 60 for also around 8k, no accessories but only 1400 miles on it.

I want to be prepared if I really like the bike but I really don't know the the best call here. I would value your opinions as 4500 seems like a lot but they are all the same 2016 which I understand has slightly improved shocks.

Thanks in advance!
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I bought the 60 for a number of reasons. First, I dont like chrome, second, it was reasonably priced and lastly its fast enough for me, this coming from a guy whos last three bikes I had were a modified Buell(133hp) a Busa (168hp) and an MV Agusta Brutale 800 (116 hp). I don't think you will be disappointed with either Scout. The 60 is actually one of the most enjoyable (and lowest powerd bikes Ive ever owned. You wont regret buying either model.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would usually advocate the 60, but there are a lot of accessories on that big Scout. One thing you might want to think about is how many of those accessories are important to you? If you buy 60, how many of those accessories are you going to want to buy right away? The saddle bags and rear pegs alone are like $1500. If the jacket and helmet fit and you need them too, that's a pretty sweet deal.

As for the ABS, I don't want to open that can of worms, but the Scout does have very good brakes and if ABS is entirely out of your price range anyhow, it is moot for this calculation.

Whatever decision you make, the Scout and 60 are great bikes and you will be happy.

·
Untilted.
451 Posts
If this were a stock 60 vs used, stock 69, 60 every time I guess, but because it has all that free swag with it. BUY THE 69.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. The new scout 60 is 9k. Used Scout 60 Black $8200 with 1400 miles. The used Scout Black with 4500 miles 8k with Wind shield. All same year 2016. Isn't the Scout a higher end bike than Scout 60? Should I be nervous about 4500 miles? Chrome looks ok but like blacked out a but more but Scout usually runs 2k more than Scout 60? Seems like 60 more desirable even if Same year?

Thanks for all thoughts!

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Thanks. The new scout 60 is 9k. Used Scout 60 Black $8200 with 1400 miles. The used Scout Black with 4500 miles 8k with Wind shield. All same year 2016. Isn't the Scout a higher end bike than Scout 60? Should I be nervous about 4500 miles? Chrome looks ok but like blacked out a but more but Scout usually runs 2k more than Scout 60? Seems like 60 more desirable even if Same year?

Thanks for all thoughts!
If $800 is the only difference between new and used 60, get the new one.

No, the Scout is not a higher end bike than the 60. The 60 is a variation of the Scout. The Scout came out first. The 60 a year later. For the $2,300 difference you get lots of chrome bits, an extra gear in the transmission (5th), and 133cc more engine. It's a paradox. The Scout 60 has higher compression, more torque, and runs a richer mix. The Scout says 100HP, the Scout 60 at 78, which has already been disproven. It dyno'd at 84. When you use a DynoJet PCVX to undo the 60's hobbling, it gets almost identical HP, but still has greater torque and higher compression. Frankly, this all makes no sense, but is true.

So yes, to answer your question, the Scout 60 is a greater value for many of us. If you like all the chrome, get a Scout. If you like the blacked out look, get a Scout 60. If you want to save $2,300, get a Scout 60, buy the DynoJet, and then use the other $1,900 to buy all the accessories that YOU want. Don't get hung up on somebody else's idea of the right accessories on a used bike.

With a new bike, you know it. You broke it in right. You know how it's been treated. With used, you know nothing. If it's cheap enough, it might be worth the risk, but not in the examples you've given...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Actually, I wonder if insurance is a little cheaper on the 60 being a sub 1000cc engine and the Scout being 1133? I know years ago that 1000cc was a price point for insurance.

Reactions: Graham UK and Hatt

·
Diamond member
9,093 Posts
I never buy new, I let the first buyer take the depreciation hit.
And so I'll have bias.
I'd go the used route.
No depreciation hit. And that amount of accessories is alot of money.
From a bang for buck standpoint, the used One is by far a better purchase, even if both were 60s.
IMO.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I never buy new, I let the first buyer take the depreciation hit.
And so I'll have bias.
I'd go the used route.
No depreciation hit. And that amount of accessories is alot of money.
From a bang for buck standpoint, the used One is by far a better purchase, even if both were 60s.
IMO.
I agree. I only bought my 60 new because there was no such thing as a used one at the time. But 4,500 miles on that engine is NOTHING. My stock pipes didn't really loosen up and start to breath until around that point. It all comes down to the accessories. The OP gave a list and said 'to name a few'. The actual list is important, but if the gloves/jacket/helmet fit, that is a big deal. Assuming that the gear on the bike itself is OEM the saddlebags with mounts are about $1,200, seat and pegs $400. If the jacket/gloves/helmet work and without knowing the quality I think we can say roughly $300/$75/$300 for another $675. Right there is $1,875 and it sounds like there might be more little bits. If the OP wants saddlebags and likes the rider gear, I think this is the right deal without having all the details.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Get the one with the biggest engine.....you won't regret it.
For reasons very specific to the Scout and Scout 60, it is a little more complex. The biggest engine in this case might not be the strongest engine and even if it is, it might not overcome the price differential.

·
Diamond member
9,093 Posts
I agree. I only bought my 60 new because there was no such thing as a used one at the time. But 4,500 miles on that engine is NOTHING. My stock pipes didn't really loosen up and start to breath until around that point. It all comes down to the accessories. The OP gave a list and said 'to name a few'. The actual list is important, but if the gloves/jacket/helmet fit, that is a big deal. Assuming that the gear on the bike itself is OEM the saddlebags with mounts are about $1,200, seat and pegs $400. If the jacket/gloves/helmet work and without knowing the quality I think we can say roughly $300/$75/$300 for another $675. Right there is $1,875 and it sounds like there might be more little bits. If the OP wants saddlebags and likes the rider gear, I think this is the right deal without having all the details.
Exactly.. and if the accessories aren't what the buyer wants or desires, he can look at them as "cash back" incentives if he were to sell them lowering cost, and raising bang for buck level... And the accessories would sell quickly.

And as @The Painter states, (with out getting into the 60/69 debate) the 69 will always hold it's value more than the 60. Not that I care of that personally,, I also don't transcribe to the "ones better than the other" stuff, but, fact is fact and that's the way it goes, you only need to look at comparable 1200 sportster prices v 883 prices in used market..and that's only one example of thousands to refer to..

·
Registered
200 Posts
Exactly.. and if the accessories aren't what the buyer wants or desires, he can look at them as "cash back" incentives if he were to sell them lowering cost, and raising bang for buck level... And the accessories would sell quickly.

And as @The Painter states, (with out getting into the 60/69 debate) the 69 will always hold it's value more than the 60. Not that I care of that personally,, I also don't transcribe to the "ones better than the other" stuff, but, fact is fact and that's the way it goes, you only need to look at comparable 1200 sportster prices v 883 prices in used market..and that's only one example of thousands to refer to..
I didn't even think about cashing back out on any unwanted parts! Good idea. Not sure that the 883/1200 comparison exactly applies in this case. But, when I buy a motorcycle I always assume its value the day I get rid of it to be $0.

·
Diamond member
9,093 Posts
I didn't even think about cashing back out on any unwanted parts! Good idea. Not sure that the 883/1200 comparison exactly applies in this case. But, when I buy a motorcycle I always assume its value the day I get rid of it to be $0.
Your right, to us Indian owners, and likely to sporty owners it doesn't apply either, but to the market and the institutions that hand out money, and regulate money (banks) and markets,(NADA/Kelly) it applies greatly.
what we think of the Scouts and there comparison has no baring in what they think.
They don't know or care that they are both great bikes.. they simply care that one was 2k less, and that will always be reflected in the depreciation rate and resale values..
I also agree on your sentiment to how you personally approach resale value.. I also assume mine is worth scrap or parts, as that's what they usually are when I part with my machines, but do I feel like we are minority in that tactic of ownership..;)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.