Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Rider
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a continuous engine fault code for knock sensor negative low voltage and I’ve been informed it might have been caused by bad wire bundle routing when my 116 kit was installed. I don’t have a manual so I have no idea which wires are for the knock sensor, anyone have an idea and could post a picture of where it comes out of the motor?

(Yes I know my dealer will look at and tell me, that’s not what I’m asking)

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
It bolts onto the rear face of the front cylinder. Take off the coil cover on the right side. Take off the coil pack. You might need to remove the frame as well. You should be able to see the knock sensor. It looks like this. You can see where mine hit the heat and melted the insulation. The lead runs up and over the motor. It can be repaired if it's not too badly melted and then tie it away from the heat.

If the bike is still under warranty and you can see it's melted without having to remove the stuff, it should be a warranty repair as mine was.

·
Rider
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It bolts onto the rear face of the front cylinder. Take off the coil cover on the right side. Take off the coil pack. You might need to remove the frame as well. You should be able to see the knock sensor. It looks like this. You can see where mine hit the heat and melted the insulation. The lead runs up and over the motor. It can be repaired if it's not too badly melted and then tie it away from the heat.

If the bike is still under warranty and you can see it's melted without having to remove the stuff, it should be a warranty repair as mine was.

View attachment 593735
Awesome thanks! Was yours melted after installing a 116 as well?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
I had that very same thing happen to me right after the 116 install. I also had a hard time finding a diagram/pictures of exactly where the wire was, and could really only see the bolt end, but figured the tank needed removed to replace. The dealer eventually replaced it, and mine was pinched under the tank, causing a short. Best of luck and safe riding

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Awesome thanks! Was yours melted after installing a 116 as well?
No, mine was picked up when it was being dyno tuned. The tuner guy said their numbers were going all over the place and he went looking for what was causing the random problems. He's an Indian rider and sells Indians from his shop, and he took the sensor off his own bike to put on mine to save a day waiting for a new part. Indian OK'd it for a warranty replacement.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts