Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm torn between the vintage and the classic.

Either are nice but I like things about each model. I need bags and shield on either model I end up with.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I purchased the red vintage and plan on changing the decal.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
19654 said:
I'm torn between the vintage and the chief.

Either are nice but I like things about each model. I need bags and shield on either model I end up with.
All three models are Chiefs! I assume you mean Chieftain. If so, then consider how much do you with with audio on? Bluetooth used frequently? The answers to these questions should help you make your decision. Either way, enjoy!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
18725 said:
All three models are Chiefs! I assume you mean Chieftain. If so, then consider how much do you with with audio on? Bluetooth used frequently? The answers to these questions should help you make your decision. Either way, enjoy!

Sorry, I meant Classic vs. Vintage.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you buy the Vintage, you can remove the saddle bags and windshield and have a Classic. The bags and windshield can be removed in a few minutes, and the bike looks great either way. Two bikes in one!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
19311 said:
If you buy the Vintage, you can remove the saddle bags and windshield and have a Classic. The bags and windshield can be removed in a few minutes, and the bike looks great either way. Two bikes in one!
yes, but if I buy the Classic and add bags and windshield, I will get the cool Indian logo on the tank.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
19654 said:
yes, but if I buy the Classic and add bags and windshield, I will get the cool Indian logo on the tank.

Which color leather do you prefer? I also need bags but got the classic for the black leather. Now I'm wondering if I can get ahold of some red hard bags from the chieftan somehow, that may be a cool look.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
19584 said:
Which color leather do you prefer? I also need bags but got the classic for the black leather. Now I'm wondering if I can get ahold of some red hard bags from the chieftan somehow, that may be a cool look.
Tough question. I like the brown leather but the black looks good too, if not better on the red ones to me.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
19654 said:
I'm planning on a Classic and add some type of bag, not sure yet, and windshiled comes later. I saw the black bag at the dealer on the wall. It doesn't come with fringe it that's important, but sure it can be added. Bossbags is looking for a volunteer with a Classic to build some Indian bags and has posted on here but not sure where as he just answered my email about this. Black hides dirt and stains 'very well'.

I didn't realize the stage 1 upgrade was so expen$ive as I was pondering that, but on top of the cost of the slip on, you new new filter, map, etc, so it looks like Classic for me. I can live without a windshield for what type of riding I'm doing now. I've had plenty of naked bikes.

Guess it depends on how much money you have. If you have extra money that you don't spend, please PM me and I'll give you an account number to send it to.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2108 said:
I'm planning on a Classic and add some type of bag, not sure yet, and windshiled comes later. I saw the black bag at the dealer on the wall. It doesn't come with fringe it that's important, but sure it can be added. Bossbags is looking for a volunteer with a Classic to build some Indian bags and has posted on here but not sure where as he just answered my email about this. Black hides dirt and stains 'very well'.

I didn't realize the stage 1 upgrade was so expen$ive as I was pondering that, but on top of the cost of the slip on, you new new filter, map, etc, so it looks like Classic for me. I can live without a windshield for what type of riding I'm doing now. I've had plenty of naked bikes.

Guess it depends on how much money you have. If you have extra money that you don't spend, please PM me and I'll give you an account number to send it to.
I like your thinking and did notice the fringe missing on the classic. I'll most likely get Indian black bags if I go with the classic. Unlike you though, I can't leave the dealer without a windshield. I have noticed someone selling the windshields cheaper on eBay though

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I originally put my deposit on a Classic and switched to the Vintage. This was my rationale:

Most of my riding is done between 5 and 10C ( 40 - 50 F), and potential rain. A windshield was going to be necessary.

Saddlebags weren't absolutely necessary, but the tan leather on the Vintage sold me. Turns out that the leather is one of the most commented upon things on this bike. It really attracts attention.

I wanted crash bars, too and at the time, my understanding was that they were standard on the Vintage, but not on the Classic. I wasn't even sure at the time that they would come on the Vintage, either, but this was all happening even before the bikes were unveiled.

The good part is that I can turn my Vintage into a Classic in about a minute (except for the tank logo, of course.) I'm partial to the metal as opposed to the sticker, so that was another thing that aided in my decision.

We all have our tastes and thankfully, there's no right or wrong. There's 9 bikes to choose from and they're all gorgeous.

Just a side note: I demo'd the Vintage first, of course, because that is what I had ordered. Had a chance to demo again, and went with a blue Chieftain. If my order hadn't already been in, I may have changed my mind - the Chieftain was that nice. It feels way lighter at slow speeds due to the steering geometry. I didn't find the wind protection to be any better than the big cop-windshield on the Vintage. I was going to get the stock windshield trimmed down to my normal height, but now that I've been riding it, I'm actually getting used to looking through it and don't mind it as much as I thought I would. Just my 2C.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, and I wasn't sold on the white stitching on black leather. Again, personal taste.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You could stop worrying so much about looks and buy a Vision. Just sayin'.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thinking I'll be keeping my pearl king, went to see the Indians today, near $1k setup fee, after adding bags and a shield, its just way out of reach.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Personally - I wasn't a big fan of the brown leather, which is why I went with the Classic and have intentions of making it look like the Vintage. I only wish now that I would have gone ahead and ordered the saddle bags as that is something I will have to save up for now. 502 has some very good points about the Vintage's crash bars, and being able to strip it down in minutes to look like a Classic. My only regret is that the Vintage has that nice shiny Indian logo, and the Classic doesn't... All of which can be remedied over time... Basically it all boils down to what you like, and what you can afford.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
10966 said:
You could stop worrying so much about looks and buy a Vision. Just sayin'.
magazine - here's some advice: disregard jibes from those non-Indian owners that can't help themselves from cruising the Indian forums looking for ways to make themselves feel better by belittling someone else. Do what appeals to you. It's your dime.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Which Indian forum are you on 502flier?
VOG=Victory Owners Group

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This one. TheVOG.net, Indian Forum, Indian General Discussion. So that's what VOG means! Duh. See my last post.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's too bad this Thread / Forum is turning ugly as evidenced by sniping between 2 groups of brands owned by the same parent company but seemingly precipitated by a minority of posters?

I'm still hoping to go Indian in the spring, but had 5 Victory bikes prior. I can tell you after going bikeless for over a year now, I'll just be grateful to get back on a bike again. Nothing wrong with either brand.
Some of us are moving from Victory to Indian for whatever reasons we choose, OR to stay on a Victory.
They're both great bikes in their own right.

Would everyone feel better if we changed the parent name of this site to PIVOF.com (Polaris Indian / Victory Owner's Forum)?

OR leave the VOG alone and start IOG for Indian with separate registration and passwords?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The voices in my head tell me you should get the Vintage. In fact, they insist on it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts