Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clutch loosens up after every ride. It’s 2018 Indian scout with a barnett clutch. Stock clutch was doing the same too before it went out on me. Anyone know what can cause this?

·
Registered
409 Posts
oem cables are just crap quality sadly. best solution is to get either a barnett one or one from LA Choppers. i went LA myself because of the mightnight stainless they offer. havnt had the need to touch the adjustment on my bobber in about 4000 miles now

·
Bronze member
2,011 Posts
I have no idea why a cable would do that unless it were unraveling inside the sheath or something unusual.

I have only adjusted the OEM cable twice in 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What oil are you using? Only time (not on Indian) I've had clutch slipping was with the wrong oil.

If the plates swell with heat (increasing free play), then you adjust the free play while hot, they likely will slip when cold and the free play is inadequate. Have you tried just leaving it alone? How much is the free play changing?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oem cables are just crap quality sadly. best solution is to get either a barnett one or one from LA Choppers. i went LA myself because of the mightnight stainless they offer. havnt had the need to touch the adjustment on my bobber in about 4000 miles now

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a stainless steel Barnett cable

·
Bronze member
1,919 Posts
If you are wondering why the original OEM Indian cable needs frequent adjustments, it is because the cable (inner cable) stretches.

Also, never lube a Barnett cable (causes the cable to gum up).

Hope this clears up some Quandries and Quearies.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where you are checking may be the issue. I was shown by my dealers tech to check it by pulling on the cable and using the gap on the other side of the handle. Since doing it that way I have had zero issues getting my clutch into the happy zone. View attachment 598068
Yes I check it like that too when I’m adjusting it...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Either way you should have a very, very similar gap when checking.... I have a Barnett cable and adjusted it once. Right after installation. No problem since......that was maybe 2000 miles ago.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Adjust your cable so you have some slack no matter what the situation, then go ride your bike instead of worrying about it. Exact measurements are not important. If the clutch starts slipping or not disengaging, get it fixed. Worry about other drivers -- keep your head in the game and don't get distracted by mechanical concerns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Adjust your cable so you have some slack no matter what the situation, then go ride your bike instead of worrying about it. Exact measurements are not important. If the clutch starts slipping or not disengaging, get it fixed. Worry about other drivers -- keep your head in the game and don't get distracted by mechanical concerns.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Either way you should have a very, very similar gap when checking.... I have a Barnett cable and adjusted it once. Right after installation. No problem since......that was maybe 2000 miles ago.....
[/QUOTE
Thank you JO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts