Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please see the attached pics.

I started the process of removing the air filter assembly in order to add / modify / route a new crankcase breather hose downward and under the bike (21 Chieftain w/factory 116). Reason being; I'd like to keep my paper filter element completely free of oil residue (which isn't much).

After removing the the air box cover (14) and filter (12) I removed the three T25 Torx screws holding on the air filter retainer plate (10). Problem is, I have been unable to remove the retainer plate due to the retainer plate seal (11) which sits behind a lip on the throttle body. No matter how I twist or how much pressure I put on it the seal won't come over that lip, and of course I don't want to exert too much force for fear of breaking something or having to replace the seal which is a $22 part if I could even get one.

So . . . any advice on how to remove that retainer plate without damaging the seal. Unless I can get this off I can't get to the breather hose. Any help would be appreciated.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment
Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Font Naval architecture

·
Registered
283 Posts
Please see the attached pics.

I started the process of removing the air filter assembly in order to add / modify / route a new crankcase breather hose downward and under the bike (21 Chieftain w/factory 116). Reason being; I'd like to keep my paper filter element completely free of oil residue (which isn't much).

After removing the the air box cover (14) and filter (12) I removed the three T25 Torx screws holding on the air filter retainer plate (10). Problem is, I have been unable to remove the retainer plate due to the retainer plate seal (11) which sits behind a lip on the throttle body. No matter how I twist or how much pressure I put on it the seal won't come over that lip, and of course I don't want to exert too much force for fear of breaking something or having to replace the seal which is a $22 part if I could even get one.

So . . . any advice on how to remove that retainer plate without damaging the seal. Unless I can get this off I can't get to the breather hose. Any help would be appreciated.

View attachment 652704 View attachment 652705 View attachment 652706
Find the service manual. Plenty of them floating around on the internet you can download free. It should tell you how.

Edit: looking at older service manuals, I don't see it show how to disassemble. Just that diagram. You aren't meant to take that apart. Seems like it would be pretty easy though...

Edit: I found it. The manual does show how to remove this. It shows the 3 screws you pointed at, then says to simply remove that black plate... you should be able to just pull it off. Then, you can detach that throttle body.

Jaw Font Parallel Diagram Oval

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,143 Posts
Apply a little oil on the lip of the throttle body. Also remember that the vent hose is attached to the back of the adapter plate, and it's providing some resistance too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently took the air cleaner assembly off of my Chief. Agree with others - use a little oil on the throttle body lip (or directly on the rubber seal) AFTER you make sure all the screws are removed. That plate is really hard to get off. I got it to come off by twisting it while pulling it towards me. Be careful and don’t hit yourself in the face when it lets go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts