Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into GPS units for use on my Indian Vintage. I need one with bluetooth that will pair with my Scala Rider G9 communication device. I'm more interested in a basic unit without all the bells and whistles that some of the higher priced units come with. The Garmin 220 and 350 look like they will fit my needs, but I'm not convinced that I need to spend $500.00 to $700.00 for a GPS unit that is specifically designed for motorcycle use. I know the cases are waterproof, but I can also buy a car unit and a waterprof case for it for less money than the motorcycle units sell for.

So, I'm looking for a little help here. What GPS units are you using? How do you like it? How much did it cost?

Thanks in advance,

Will

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your advice. I've got an iPhone, and for most riding, it would work just fine. But, there are times when there are no cell phone towers around and a satelite linked GPS would be helpfull at those times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The advantage of the motorcycle GPS is that you can plan what route you want to take by using way points. Not sure if you can do that with a car gps. I also like the Tom Tom Rider that I have because of the bluetooth voice commands that chime in Scala headset while cruiseing along lisening to music and enjoying the scenery without a care in the world. Then all the sudden it wakes you up and tells you you have to make a turn in half a mile.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
13945 said:
I also like the Tom Tom Rider that I have because of the bluetooth voice commands that chime in Scala headset while cruiseing along lisening to music and enjoying the scenery without a care in the world. Then all the sudden it wakes you up and tells you you have to make a turn in half a mile.
lou, I was looking at this tomtom rider.how isit in the sunlight? Reviews were not so good there

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use my car GPS on my bike whenever I go on a long trip. Garmin Nuvi 1370. It won't work in the rain, but neither will an I-phone. This is an older model that doesn't have Bluetooth but it does what I need it to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a Garmin Nuvi that we use in the car and on the bike. Not real sure how it works with the bluetooth on your headset but it hasn't successfully paired with mine yet (Scala Rider G2). Not real worried about it because the on screen prompts work very well for my needs. I can see it really well even in the sunlight.
I got a refurbished unit off of Amazon.com for about $140 delivered. No regrets at all... BTW I mount it to my fairing on the Electraglide with a RAM mount that is good and solid, it's wired up inside the fairing using a hidden cigarette lighter in the fairing and the factory power cord. We're looking into posabilities of using another RAM mount on the Indian, but I'll have to make the bracket to suit my taste. I don't want to trash it up with a pile of ugly brackets.
EASY

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After using the car gps units for years I finally broke down and ordered the zumo 390. I use the gps quite a bit and find that the car gps units have problems with the vibration, namely the electrical connection to the bike will be broken and cause the unit to reboot. Gets to be a real pain when you are waiting for your next turn and the unit decides to reboot. If you are not going to use it much, I am sure you could get by with one as you have noticed they are considerably cheaper. I also paired them with my g9 and never did have any problems there. I havent added it up but I wouldn't be surprised if I have spent more on replacement car units than I would have spent if I had just purchased a zumo from the start. You just have to decide how much you are going to use it.
As for using phones; I have used them also, however they are VERY unreliable if you are traveling across country. Garmin's sometimes have problems but they seem to work the best. For some reason the phones have led us to incorrect destinations more often than the Garmins do.
Good luck..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
14255 said:
lou, I was looking at this tomtom rider.how isit in the sunlight? Reviews were not so good there
It's not great in the sunlight but I bought a sun shade for about $15 and it is a little better. Thats why I like the voice commands. My Buddy has the Garmin motorcycle gps and it's not much better in the sun. His Garmin doesn't have voice commands but one thing about it is he can download a mapquest route on it. All the reviews will tell you the Garmin is a better unit with many more features. I've had my Tom Tom rider 2 for about 5 trouble free years and like the simplicity of it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used a Garmin on all of my trips on a Victory. My current Garmin is a Zumo 350LM.
It works everywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recommend Garmin as well... The simple fact that they offer free map updates makes them the best choice IMO. My Garmin is really good about showing me which lane to be in when travelling through big cities (Chicago). I don't know how well it will work on the bike and with glare, but there are contrast settings I can mess with before spending extra on something that says 'motorcycle' on it... My other hobby besides motorcycles is boating, and the same thing applies there... If it says 'Marine', you can bet you are going to pay 3x the normal cost just for the satisfaction of buying specifically designed for that application. There are aftermarket cases you can buy that will make your GPS waterproof. You may have to think outside the box and get creative with your setup. Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I use a Tom Tom 1501 with a case that mounts to the handle bar,s . I like it alot better than the garmen , It has a large screen, and split screen traffic, I can also plan my route be for I leave, It lets you miss buse roads in towns and gives you alot of good info. and with the 1501lm you get free life time maps and traffic, I think I have 229.00 in it case and all, if you would like to see my set up let me know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gramin Nuvi 2597LMT at Costco.
5 inch screen, lifetime maps and traffic, bluetooth and routing for under $200.
http://www.costco.ca/Garmin%C2%AE-n%C3%BCvi%C2%AE-2597LMT-GPS.product.100043390.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I'm thinking that so far it's between the TomTom Rider and the Garmin 350LM. I'm going to do some research on both and see which one I like better. Please, if anyone else has some input, I'd like to hear it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought a garmin Nuvi 760 on Ebay for $50. They're super cheap because all the newer cars have GPS built in. Bought a bar mount holder for about $50. the 760 has Bluetooth, takes memory cards (i got 8 gig right now), FM transmitter. links with my phone just like the earhpone types. Got 1800 tunes on it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've used Garmin Nuvi's for the last 2 motorcycles covering 99,500 miles.

I'm too cheap to shell out the megabucks for a Garmin Zumo.

If you decide on a Garmin Nuvi, make sure it has lifetime free maps and traffic updates. LM/LT

My first Nuvi (2007) required $60 every time I updated the maps.

When it rains, I put a Ziplock sandwich bag around it and keep on trucking.

I just use the suction cup mount that comes with the unit.
I take it from my motorcycle and also use it in my cars.
Around town when I don't need it, I put it in the trunk out of site.
No empty mounting device hanging on my handlebars.

If you don't wear a white T-Shirt, you won't have any problems with glare.

You can go here to compare one against the other:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/cOnTheRoad-p1.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've used the zumo 550 for years, works fine and will get you there, it's no longer made and you can find them on ebay for fare cheaper then the new garmin zumo's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...iPhone, Motion GPX Drive App, Kuryakyn bracket that disconects leaving a ram mount, powered out of the 12 volt socket in the fairing...works great, works great, and I can still get telephone calls and audio via my synced Scala Rider

1 - 20 of 39 Posts