Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be buying a Indian scout or a 2012 Harley Davidson superglide custom. I will need to commute 130 miles to work round trip

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I'll be buying a Indian scout or a 2012 Harley Davidson superglide custom. I will need to commute 130 miles to work round trip
very similar bikes. I don’t think you could go wrong either way. Bigger engine in that superglide, but that 69 ci scout engine is fierce. I’d probably vote the superglide if you’re getting a good deal on it. 2012 can have some issues depending on the previous owner/s.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a 2016 Indian chief vintage I got a good deal on. Expecting to buy a cheap car expensive bike. But recently my car is dead. So I'll be selling the Indian chief and buying a small car and enough left over to buy a Indian scout or Harley Davidson superglide. I'll need to commute 65 miles one way to work also. It's all highway miles. I have a little experience in riding. I'm taking msf class this month to get license no more permit for me. I'm 6ft 2 and will be concerned about the scout. But won't be able to just go out and buy parts to make it rider friendly for me height. Thanks

·
Bronze member
3,393 Posts
test ride the Scout... as much as I think the Scout is a superior bike... without the funds to make it comfortable you'll probably have to go with the HD.. around here a 2012 Superglide is way cheaper than a Scout.. shop around you never know what kind of deal you can get..

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,281 Posts
~80,000 km via 100 mile round trip commuting and a ton of long distance touring on my Scout. I'm 6' / 175 lbs and have loved every minute of it but would agree with most that it's far from luxurious cruising. The suspension bucks, the wind pummels you and the engine screams like a banshee w/ a proper set of pipes. No doubt in my mind that a Superglide would be more comfortable and practical from a range perspective, also no doubt in my mind that it'd bore me to death after spending 2 years on a Scout. I'd suffer a thousand miles riding a 2x4 if the Scout's engine was mounted beneath it.

Reactions: GreatWhite

·
Registered
309 Posts
Doing those miles every day, enjoy them get a bagger. $7500 is so cheap compared to over here, buy the Dyna

·
Registered
212 Posts
Is there any particular reason that you narrowed it down to those two bikes? If I had to commute what, 3 or more hrs every day (?) I'd probably want a full fairing, a windshield and some hard bags for my stuff. (like a rainsuit ) And a six speed.
Have you considered something like a Concours or an FJR? A good used one of those should be in the same price range. Maybe a GoldWing or a bagger? A little more $ But any of those bikes would be more suitable for that kind of ridfing..
Always try to get the right tool for the job. (y)
But between the two bikes that you listed, I'd pick the Dyna and add a windshield and hard bags and a good saddle.

·
Rider
441 Posts
My previous bike was a 2010 Dyna Super Glide. I rode it for 3 years and 38,000 miles including my Iron Butt at age 65. the Dyna is an awesome bike that eats up miles easily with plenty of smooth power and only weighs around 700# which isn't all that much for a decent cruiser. The ride and handling are both excellent and long days in the saddle are not a problem.You will easily get 200+ miles of range which for the OP is huge compared to the short legs of the Scout.

Mine had a nice Memphis Shades Batwing fairing and a pair of Leather Lyke bags and top case. Here is a shot of the Dyna on the left and my current 2017 Springfield. I moved up to the SF because I wanted the newer tech - ride by wire, air suspension, remote locking bags etc. I loved the Super Glide and recommend the OP go that route, it is more bike and far better suited for the OP's situation than the scout.

(y)

Reactions: Kost

·
Bronze member
1,941 Posts
Maintenance records are a must no matter which you choose IMHO. Especially a bike with 12k miles. One thing to check is to see if the dyna has the oiling mod for the compensator or has the updated primary cover that has the mod cast in. Don’t recall the year when the new primary cover was standard. An internet search should tell you. For your situation the dyna would be my choice if everything checks out. Good luck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'd be looking at a large metric cruiser for those kinds of miles. The Scout would be aggravating me with all the required gas stops and it is not a comfortable bike for long distance cruising right out of the box. For $7500, you could probably easily find a used metric cruiser with added bags, windshield or even a fairing.

·
Rider
519 Posts
1.) Get the Scout and slap a 1920’s solo seat on it. Even if you leave everything else stock you’ll end up with a much roomier cockpit with additional leg room.

2.) I’m getting a consistent 145-150 miles per tank before my reserve light comes on. Plenty of range for a commute of that length.

3.) I put 14K on my 2018 Scout in one year and am on pace for 25K on my 2020. Both bikes have been absolutely bullet-proof.

Good luck either way!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree gas tank capacity is a major concern. My girlfriend rides a Scout, and she's filling up 2-3 times as often as I am.... this is the one major issue Indian needs to address on the Scout.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I get 150/tank on my scout and 200-220/tank on my Roadmaster. It’s not really that bad.

I agree gas tank capacity is a major concern. My girlfriend rides a Scout, and she's filling up 2-3 times as often as I am.... this is the one major issue Indian needs to address on the Scout.

Reactions: CaptFlood

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought a 2016 Indian chief vintage I got a good deal on. Expecting to buy a cheap car expensive bike. But recently my car is dead. So I'll be selling the Indian chief and buying a small car and enough left over to buy a Indian scout or Harley Davidson superglide. I'll need to commute 65 miles one way to work also. It's all highway miles. I have a little experience in riding. I'm taking msf class this month to get license no more permit for me. I'm 6ft 2 and will be concerned about the scout. But won't be able to just go out and buy parts to make it rider friendly for me height. Thanks
I own a 2020 Indian Scout Bobber and I replaced the seat AFTER springing for the “Comfort” seay that was just horrible. Almost $600 for a custom Corbin, but worth every dime. Please don’t plan on commuting that far on a stock Scout seat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd be looking at a large metric cruiser for those kinds of miles. The Scout would be aggravating me with all the required gas stops and it is not a comfortable bike for long distance cruising right out of the box. For $7500, you could probably easily find a used metric cruiser with added bags, windshield or even a fairing.
Agreed, for 7,500 I think you could find a really good deal on a bike that already has the accessories you might want. I owned a Scout for 2 years and loved it. But the reason I ended up trading it in was because it wasn’t the greatest long distance rider and only has a 3.3 gal tank... the Springfields and larger have 5.5 gal (almost twice the capacity). Now that’s not to say you can’t turn it into a more comfortable cruiser but that cost more money. End of the day comes down to what you want in a bike.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts