Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i am new here, but not new to online forums. My elderly father has a 1947 indian chief we would like to sell. It was completely restored in 2001. He put roughly 300 miles on it, some life circumstances happened, and this bike has been inside a dark airplane hangar in southern california for the past 18 years.
I have no idea where to begin as far as value. I understand the restoration is 20 years old and things will have to be done to restore again.
What I know;
The motorcycle was restored by charles “chuck” rouse. Apparently he has restored quite a few. I have a complete restoration log, with receipts. Motor was gone through (.040).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Inquiries are welcome.

Thank you.

These photos were taken today as it has sat untouched for 18 years

Attachments

·
Founding Member
1,919 Posts
Make contact with Jerry Greer’s engineering in Deadwood, SD. If you send them your pics they can give you a rough idea of value. After that post in on cycle trader. There are also a couple of vintage M/C for sale groups on Facebook. Good luck, looks like a nice bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, i am new here, but not new to online forums. My elderly father has a 1947 indian chief we would like to sell. It was completely restored in 2001. He put roughly 300 miles on it, some life circumstances happened, and this bike has been inside a dark airplane hangar in southern california for the past 18 years.
I have no idea where to begin as far as value. I understand the restoration is 20 years old and things will have to be done to restore again.
What I know;
The motorcycle was restored by charles “chuck” rouse. Apparently he has restored quite a few. I have a complete restoration log, with receipts. Motor was gone through (.040).

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Inquiries are welcome.

Thank you.

These photos were taken today as it has sat untouched for 18 years
Hi i work on vintage indians. I have a 47 for sale also we are located in solana beach moreland choppers 858 755 5044 Thanks Ken or ask for Ben

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've sold a number of old Indians and have had the best results with eBay. From the pixs the bike looks complete and mostly original. You want to check the last 3 numbers on the pad on the engine case below the carb and the last 3 on the frame stamp on the left side by the rear axle. If they match you can list it as a numbers matching bike which increases value a little. As for price 47's are not that uncommon as there were just under 13,000 made but yours is a good example. They normally go for somwhere in the twenties. If you go the eBay route I would put it at auction but make sure you have a reserve price for the least you would sell it for. Without seeing it I can only guess from the pix but best guess is a reserve in the $24,000 range +- with a Buy it Now at $28,000. If you feel that's too low you can always go higher and when it doesn't sell relist it and adjust the price. Some may tell you it should be higher but it's only worth what someone is willing to pay. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you listed this bike yet?

have you got a price on it yet im looking to buy another thanks Ken
Im not looking to make a killing on it. Just get my dad some money. Would like to see it go to a person that wants to do the minor rerestore it will need to make it roadworthy again. Not really interested in letting it go cheap to a flipper. Will let it go cheap to the guy that wants this for himself

1 - 10 of 10 Posts