Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... Can someone with a roadmaster classic or someone that has purchased the trunk mount with just the flat base plant get me some measurements? I need the dimensions of the top plate in which the trunk mounts to. I have a perfectly new trunk off of a Victory Cross Country that I think would look good on my cheiftain once i have it painted. Just don't know if I can make it work until I get a the dimensions of the base plate where the trunk bolts up. Any help with this would be awesome. Thank you in advance for any help with this!!

·
Early joiner
221 Posts
So... Can someone with a roadmaster classic or someone that has purchased the trunk mount with just the flat base plant get me some measurements? I need the dimensions of the top plate in which the trunk mounts to. I have a perfectly new trunk off of a Victory Cross Country that I think would look good on my cheiftain once i have it painted. Just don't know if I can make it work until I get a the dimensions of the base plate where the trunk bolts up. Any help with this would be awesome. Thank you in advance for any help with this!!
View attachment 482684

Here's a pic of the part and the measurements that I'm asking for
From my diy experience:
About 5-years ago before my present ‘15 RM, I had a Chieftain and did the “fix.” I dabbed the base FRAME out of homeyDepot aluminum bars, 1/4-in. thick x 2-inches wide for the base ‘plate’ trunk-mounting frame. I drilled/countersunk the ends of the bars and used small short carriage bolts. That configuration is still with the fellow in Indiana who bought the Chieftain.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From my diy experience:
About 5-years ago before my present ‘15 RM, I had a Chieftain and did the “fix.” I dabbed the base FRAME out of homeyDepot aluminum bars, 1/4-in. thick x 2-inches wide for the base ‘plate’ trunk-mounting frame. I drilled/countersunk the ends of the bars and used small short carriage bolts. That configuration is still with the fellow in Indiana who bought the Chieftain.
So you also put a Victory trunk on a chieftain? Do you have any pictures with the box mounted?

·
Early joiner
221 Posts
So you also put a Victory trunk on a chieftain? Do you have any pictures with the box mounted?
Don’t know. What I did as a diy was to build a frame onto which I adapted an H-D trunk on the Chieftain. Adapted an HD lower leg fairings to it as well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see... Well I'm hoping to use a oem Indian mount and I'm also hoping the surface area on the trunk is big enough to take this oem mount

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
Hi NessScout I am not sure if the mounting plate will be strong enough just using the Indian base I know when I had my Victory Cross Roads Classic I did a lot of modification to it and ended ups buying the Cross Country Tour Rear Luggage bag for the Classic and the base plate was so heavy all case alloy and looked great. I am not saying it won't work the way you are looking at as your basically just need a mounting point for the Luggage box . This is what mine looked like after changing to the c.c.Tour luggage box.
13442660_2066271380263901_2852856970905897279_o.jpg

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah the mounting hardware for the victory is very heavy. It's almost crazy how heavy it is. I have a complete set up for the victory and I separated the mounting dock from the trunk box and the box alone is actually pretty light and I can't imagine the Indian trunk being much different in weight. I think Victory's mounting dock was a slight over kill but not a bad thing because you know the trunk wasn't going anywhere

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@NessScout one more thing the Victory trunk weighs 50lbs a little lighter then indians. My Harley tourpak weighs 25lb huge difference. I can take it off and on like nothing alone.

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
83B281BC-3EAB-4C3B-A449-A35763A95289.jpeg
Ok I’m gonna jump in here because I tried the same thing. But here’s what happened. When you remove the base of the trunk. Your going to find it’s has quite the curve to it. I just couldn’t get it to sit right due to the curve. And there’s no way it will mount with the detachable bracket still on the trunk. I agree I thought it would look good on it and I like the extra room. Indians inside too small for me spoiled from victory’s. What I did was sell my trunk for $1500 plus shipping and went HD for $1080 out the door and it’s a bit bigger for storage purposes.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too! Thanks for the info guys but I think I'll sell the Victory box. Where did you list your victory trunk. This one is signed by Cory Ness because it was on the Victory Magnum that Polaris gave them to debut in Stugis. My uncle bought that Magnum and now I have the trunk
Screenshot_20190429-165707.png

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too! Thanks for the info guys but I think I'll sell the Victory box
You will have no problem I sold mine in January 2nd day it was gone $1500 plus $180 to ship to Vegas. They are quite the item now since they closed. A unicorn. I got a few more pics of the HD on it just hit me if you want I’m happy with it and looks great on it. Lol and says Harley on it nowhere

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will have no problem I sold mine in January 2nd day it was gone $1500 plus $180 to ship to Vegas. They are quite the item now since they closed. A unicorn. I got a few more pics of the HD on it just hit me if you want I’m happy with it and looks great on it. Lol and says Harley on it nowhere
Yeah. I think I would like to see some more pics of the harley box on it. So far it looks good. I was just hoping this victory one would work since it is in perfect condition with speakers and everything

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
22CFA788-15BB-448F-949B-D7DDCB11D657.jpeg
@NessScout heres a few more. I didn’t use indians detachable it was $500 at the time. Ridiculous price so I went with Marcus from this forum his was less then 1/2. If you can grab indians for the $208 they are advertising that’s about what they should be selling for not 500. Go that way either works

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts