Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Neatsfoot oil

10883 Views 26 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  13TAZ
I got a new Vintage for Christmas. (great wife) Has anyone used neatsfoot oil on the leather goods? The dealer told me not to use the product supplied and to use neatsfoot oil on everything every 2 weeks. Anybody used this product? Any thoughts?
Reactions: EvilMonkey
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Founding Member/ Moderator Emeritus
4,862 Posts
First, Congrats on the bike!!

You will hear many opinions on how to take care of you leather. First you must understand that real distressed leather requires maintenance, even more when it sits in the elements.

I used bees wax on my leather, it darkened it up and protects it from water. It has faded a bit since I treated it but is still a nice dark caramel color. In retrospect I would have used an oil based dye to darken the leather prior to putting the beeswax on it because the Oklahoma and Texas sun really fades the leather and I prefer a darker tan color. You can see the before and after pictures I took of my leather in my photo gallery.

Album: Faded Leather fix | Indian Motorcycle Forum

· Registered
171 Posts
Neatsfoot oil will really darken your leather, probably to a shade you won`t like. I don`t even use it on my horse saddles because of that fact. Neatsfoot WILL help very dry and cracked leather, but that`s not what you need to use on your bike.

· Premium Member
3,501 Posts
I love neatsfoot oil for baseball gloves or other leather products that it doesn't matter the color.
I am a bigger fan of mink oil or beeswax. We have no problem washing and waxing our bikes, so we should give the same attention to the leather. The fact you are already taking effort to care for yours means you are going to have no problem. Now post a pic of that new bike

· Registered
415 Posts
Neatsfoot oil will really darken your leather, probably to a shade you won`t like. I don`t even use it on my horse saddles because of that fact. Neatsfoot WILL help very dry and cracked leather, but that`s not what you need to use on your bike.
That is right neatsfoot has it uses, I use it in my leather work but a little goes a long way.
I like Skidmoores, or Montana pitch for conditioning my leather.

· Registered
701 Posts
I got a new Vintage for Christmas. (great wife) Has anyone used neatsfoot oil on the leather goods? The dealer told me not to use the product supplied and to use neatsfoot oil on everything every 2 weeks. Anybody used this product? Any thoughts?
2014 or 2015 model? Leather is different on each. 2014 will fade regardless of what you put on it, unless you don't ride it and keep it in a room without any natural lighting! Any good leather care product with UV blockers will be a better option for either model year.

Reactions: TerryJ

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
2014 or 2015 model? Leather is different on each. 2014 will fade regardless of what you put on it, unless you don't ride it and keep it in a room without any natural lighting! Any good leather care product with UV blockers will be a better option for either model year.
It's a 2014
2014 or 2015 model? Leather is different on each. 2014 will fade regardless of what you put on it, unless you don't ride it and keep it in a room without any natural lighting! Any good leather care product with UV blockers will be a better option for either model year.[/QUO
It's a 2014. Just finished 1st application of neatsfoot oil.
Bicycle saddle Motorcycle Vehicle Leather Metal

· Registered
124 Posts

· Registered
542 Posts
My equestrian friend gave me some Skidmore's, says it's the only thing he'll use on his tack. I haven't used it yet, but it sure gets high marks from the horse crowd.

Steve

1 - 20 of 27 Posts