Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks!

I am waiting for my 2015 Indian Scout to get set-up so that I can pick it up. It's gorgeous Indian Red, and I am going to put some custom touches on it, but still retain it's Indian integrity.

The girls in my riding group asking me what I named it. I said I didn't know I was supposed to! I know men name their cars and motorcycles, and boats get names too, but these chicks are giving their bikes female names. I said NO WAY! Why would l want to have a female bike? I am in the military and certainly prefer to deal with MEN when it comes to doing anything worthwhile. (Oh, and my husband can attest to that too!) There are enough females in the biker chick group - do the bikes have to be women too?

So, anyway, any thoughts? Any girls give their bike a male name? And any of you guys riding around on a bike that you named for your favorite uncle or best friend? Or are they all Candy and Hot Mama??

:);):rolleyes:

Reactions: Thumper1031

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
Well, I'm not a girl, but I named mine Outcast. I've named each of my bikes over the last 20 years. Doesnt always have to be male or female.

I never name them before riding though. I get to know them and then the name just comes naturally. Sometimes it's from the bike itself, sometimes from an experience on the bike. ( I named one bike Duck due to hitting a duck on my first ride with it.) Other names were Suzy, Zedd, Macc and Soulless.

I named my scout outcast because on every group ride I'm the only Indian in a sea of harleys. I sometimes refer to it as Scoutcast. Lately it's been "Outcast the barbarian."

·
Founding member / distinguished
5,384 Posts
When it comes to non-living things, I'm a devout 'no-namer'....though I guess I might name a boat...if I had one....which I don't.

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
The Eastern Europeans tend to name their bikes a man's name. We, in the Western world tend to give our mechanical rides a girl's name, usually because they are beautiful, fast, seductive and, more often than not, tempermental. Our Indians are often the exception. They are often given Native American names, Cherokee, Mohawk, Lakota, etc. Ride it for a few days and find its personality and then go with your gut. If you feel like George or Irving, than call it George or Irving! LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
I've never named any of my rides, haven't felt the need to. Yet lol

Reactions: LH Rizzi

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
To each his own, but I have never named a car or a bike, never will. Not naming a boat is bad luck.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is great!! I like your naming intentions! I keep telling everyone the same thing about my first grandbaby - HE gets to name ME, after get can speak and thinks up a name for me! LOL!

Reactions: Thumper1031

·
Banned
7,192 Posts
For some reason every vehicle I owns get called Bessy. I think it came from my old hot rods that when they gave me a hard time starting I would gently rub the dash and say "come on Bessy" and she would usually fire up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's funny.. I wonder where that comes from..
My dad did the same thing...
So does a friend of mine.

I bet it was a name of someone's notable horse.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
That's funny.. I wonder where that comes from..
My dad did the same thing...
So does a friend of mine.

I bet it was a name of someone's notable horse.
I often wonder if maybe I heard it in a movie or something when I was younger, but I just can't remember how it started. So now it's kind of a tradition I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
878 Posts
Thor...has something to do with lightning....Thunder....Thunderstroke
Hopefully this is the case. It's much better than the alternative derivation that springs unbidden to my mind. During the film 'Thor', I couldn't help thinking of a very, very old joke where Thor rides forth on his horse yelling "I'm Thor, I'm Thor!". Loki, of course, tells him, "Well, thit on the thaddle properly, thilly".

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I got my Vstar 650, the previous owner told me they call her Rosie. Makes sense cuz of the art work on the tank, so I kept the name.
IMG_2330.JPG
My vintage we just call her Indiona, It has a feminine and very sexy sound to it.

·
Silver member
3,423 Posts
I love affectionate derogatory names, the more I like you the worse the name so meet

Fat Ass Squaw.

Here she is naked.

You can only imagine the names i have for my wife as much as I love her. BTW I can name a bike male female or other. I need to show "Yellow Jacket".

·
Rider
410 Posts
I had an uncle that told me years ago, "never name your bike after a woman... That way you'll never be let down"...

Yeah, he was cynical and angry, and even a bit bitter, I guess. Agent Orange related cancer got him in the end. But I took his advice and never looked back. :cool:

1 - 20 of 179 Posts