Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, this will be a stupid question I'm sure, but here goes.

Can anyone confirm to me what the exact size studs/threads used for fastening the mudflaps on to the fenders?

Putting set of mudflaps on my 2015 Vintage. Mudflaps are new, came with half a dozen 5 mm nuts and washers. Washers fit over perfect. Nuts clearly too small. Studs are like new but I cleaned the paint off by hand with a wire brush and added a drop of oil. 5 mm still doesn't start, so I tryed 6 mm nuts and they slip right over the whole stud so too loose. Which makes no sense because I can screw a 6 mm die on easily and it feels only the tiniest bit loose on the stud threads.

American threads perhaps? I'll stop over the Fastenal tomorrow and see if I can find the correct fasteners, but I couldn't help but wonder if anyone else has run into this? What am I missing?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ronnie...
May have figured it out. I did try 1/4 X 20, also too big. Then I tryed the only ther nuts I had on hand, American Standard threads 10-32 and 10-24's and both too small. I had it in my head "10" was as big as they get then went to 1/4", but it appears there is a #12 right between. No other explanation that I can think of. I'll try that tomorrow and see what happens.

Not sure why but I was thinking "12" was the equivalent to "1/4"....

still I find it odd that Polaris used metric for this at least in the beginning? and so much else but then turned around and used AS threads on this...Thank you...

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
Maybe your best bet might be to go to Ace Hardware and buy matching bolts, nuts and washers for your project and save the ones you have for a future project.... Oh by the way, be sure and buy the stainless steel bolts you will be glad you did in the future.
Those bolts and nuts are down there where all the wet is and are really prone to rust.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
No mud flaps yet but was under there looking this past weekend to see how things are attached. Please relay answer when discovered. I was going to drag my "disorganized" organizer that is full of nuts, bolts and screws over to the bike and begin the tedious process of discovery soon.

I'm going to be making a cardboard template. Transfer that to plastic and making my own fringed leather mud flaps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ronnie...
Actually no bolts involved, there are steel threaded studs underneath the fenders already, just looking for matching nuts. And yes, most definitely I'll use stainless. Wasn't near Fastenal today but stopped a couple places and no # 12 threaded nuts....but I'll let you guys know tomorrow when I find out what size these are....

·
Founding member
1,110 Posts
I installed Indian mud flaps front and rear on my Chieftain. I used the supplied nuts and washers.

I used some WD 40 to lubrecate the first stud as a previous poster reported he had broken a stud.

I found this un necessary as the supplied nuts worked fine. I used care to not over tIghten the nuts.

Easy 15 minute job front and rear.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very interesting...I'm thinking Polaris made a change somewhere because on mine the studs won't come close to accepting a 5 mm nut...I took the time to clean a couple of the studs off down to bare metal with a wire brush, low mileage bike and the paint was still on them and no damage to the threads...then added a drop or two of oil but couldn't start the 5 mm...and since 6 mm too large I figure it almost has to be SAE...I'll post when I find out.

·
Bronze member
3,563 Posts
I made up and installed a pair of fairly decent sized flaps on both ends.The flap on the front is to protect the front of the motor,the oil filter,and the regulator/rectifier front debris kicked up from the front tire.The flap on the rear is basically to protect the mufflers and saddle bags.The rear fender has studs spot welded on the inside of the fender which I think were metric,but I forgot as it's been awhile since I installed it.On the front fender,I had to drill three small holes ,then use small SAE screws and nuts I had laying around to secure it..Anyways,the task was well worth it,especially on the front fender cause that flap helps protect the oil filter, regulator /rectifier mounted in front of the motor,and the block itself which are all directly behind that front tire and in the line of fire from any debris kicked up by that front tire.In other words,flaps on both ends are definitely worth installing.
I forgot to mention that my bike is a 2018 Springfield Dark Horse,meaning,the other models may have differently shaped fenders,but even if that's the case,the flaps are still well worth installing for the reasons I mentioned.

And one more thing I forgot to mention: There is NO such thing as a STUPID QUESTION.We're all here to help one another and learn from one anothers' experiences!! Dave!!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I also have a 15 vintage. The nuts that came with the flaps fit. No problems with front or rear. I would say that whoever you bought your mudflaps from owes you some nuts and washers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys,
Thanks again for all the replies! Few thoughts...I had to order 12-28 stainless lock nuts. Fastenal did not have 12-28 stainless lock nuts, but they did have 12-28 regular nuts and one of those screwed right on and fit nice and snug. So again, Polaris changed things in there somewhere, least on this bike. I thought that was interesting and I did some searching earlier today and I found a thread on the boards here where I think a gentleman said 5 mm came with his flaps also but he had to search out 6 mm nuts. Then I lost that thread or else I'd show it to you....

bigsam, this was a standard kit bought from my closest Indian dealer, but it's not a big deal. I actually learned from it, seriously, I didn't know there was such a thing as size "12" nuts...I thought "12" was "1/4". Even the gentleman at Fastenal said wow, rare size! I stopped at Lowes, Menards, two local hardware stores and they all carried every size but the "12-28" I was looking for, so I guess it is an odd size. This bike has been such a joy to own that if this is as bad as it gets I can handle that.

Davetak1...thank you for that! I get it 100%, no stupid question, but there have been times where I just wan't thinking and my answer was right in front of me but darned if I could see it! In fact one of my main problems is when I try searching boards for info. I can never find exactly what I'm looking for, but if I search a site like this through google I get better results. I usually try my best to answer my own questions before bothering others but sometimes the patience runs out first!

BC Leather...just had a thought...if it helps you out I'd be happy to trace the outline of the mudflaps along with the fastener locations...might help give you a good start at making yours? I only bring that up because working under a fender and upside down to boot might be hard for you to get a good pattern....just a thought...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hey guys,
Thanks again for all the replies! Few thoughts...I had to order 12-28 stainless lock nuts. Fastenal did not have 12-28 stainless lock nuts, but they did have 12-28 regular nuts and one of those screwed right on and fit nice and snug. So again, Polaris changed things in there somewhere, least on this bike. I thought that was interesting and I did some searching earlier today and I found a thread on the boards here where I think a gentleman said 5 mm came with his flaps also but he had to search out 6 mm nuts. Then I lost that thread or else I'd show it to you....

bigsam, this was a standard kit bought from my closest Indian dealer, but it's not a big deal. I actually learned from it, seriously, I didn't know there was such a thing as size "12" nuts...I thought "12" was "1/4". Even the gentleman at Fastenal said wow, rare size! I stopped at Lowes, Menards, two local hardware stores and they all carried every size but the "12-28" I was looking for, so I guess it is an odd size. This bike has been such a joy to own that if this is as bad as it gets I can handle that.

Davetak1...thank you for that! I get it 100%, no stupid question, but there have been times where I just wan't thinking and my answer was right in front of me but darned if I could see it! In fact one of my main problems is when I try searching boards for info. I can never find exactly what I'm looking for, but if I search a site like this through google I get better results. I usually try my best to answer my own questions before bothering others but sometimes the patience runs out first!

BC Leather...just had a thought...if it helps you out I'd be happy to trace the outline of the mudflaps along with the fastener locations...might help give you a good start at making yours? I only bring that up because working under a fender and upside down to boot might be hard for you to get a good pattern....just a thought...
I was a mechanic at a clothing factory and 12 28s were not uncommon. Along with 12 32s. But glad you got it solved.

·
Registered
49 Posts
ok, this will be a stupid question I'm sure, but here goes.

Can anyone confirm to me what the exact size studs/threads used for fastening the mudflaps on to the fenders?

Putting set of mudflaps on my 2015 Vintage. Mudflaps are new, came with half a dozen 5 mm nuts and washers. Washers fit over perfect. Nuts clearly too small. Studs are like new but I cleaned the paint off by hand with a wire brush and added a drop of oil. 5 mm still doesn't start, so I tryed 6 mm nuts and they slip right over the whole stud so too loose. Which makes no sense because I can screw a 6 mm die on easily and it feels only the tiniest bit loose on the stud threads.

American threads perhaps? I'll stop over the Fastenal tomorrow and see if I can find the correct fasteners, but I couldn't help but wonder if anyone else has run into this? What am I missing?
what a pia they were,ithink i spent 2 hrs on something that was supposed to take 5 min,those little bolts would not screw on those tiny screws,i finally got them on

1 - 14 of 14 Posts