Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new rider on a 21 Scout with about 1,400 miles so far. Loving it!

I have a full face helmet and I installed a Sena 5s bluetooth system for music and navigation. Navigation audio is fine. Music is VERY low. I'm into tech stuff and I've done the basics of making sure my iPhone volume is max, removed any high volume protection limitations on iPhone, turned Sena 5s all the way up, used their EQ to make sure I boost it, I have EQ off on the iPhone as I should, and I contacted Sena who told me the most basic stuff despite all this same info (did I turn the volume up?--seriously). I also played around with speaker location. Not much improvement.

From all the boards I've read, plenty of other Sena users have this same problem.

I tried wearing AirPods. I don't like this option for various reasons and would not use this route.

I love listening to music. Is there any way to boost the audio on the iPhone or the Sena to improve the music? Or better headsets out there someone could recommend?

Thank you.

·
Rider
2,028 Posts
Sena 10s is the same. Ear Buds or direct 3.5mm jack plug in ear speakers was the only solution I came up with. I use Bose direct plug in.

Reactions: TheRamblinMan

·
Premium Member
2,154 Posts
I use a Sena 20S connected to a Samsung and to Ride Command ('17).
Try this check list.
Volume settings: You mentioned the phone, but did you dial up the Sena wheel -- a LOT? They are designed to require a lot of finger adjustment so you don't blast your ears out if you hit a bump while adjusting. Mine takes about 3/4 to 1 revolution of the wheel to notice any change in sound level.

Do other apps/functions have different levels? Phone function? Pandora vs on-board music?

Have you checked the placement of your speakers? I find there is a lot of trial and error getting the speakers in the correct position. When they seem to fit without any pressure points, I may not have any volume. My current helmet required some modification with a Dremel to the impact layer. It helped with both comfort and volume.

Pardon me. I just re-read your post. My above comments probably don't apply.
Navigation audio is fine. Music is VERY low.
Which apps are you using?

·
Bronze member
5,127 Posts
I'm a new rider on a 21 Scout with about 1,400 miles so far. Loving it!

I have a full face helmet and I installed a Sena 5s bluetooth system for music and navigation. Navigation audio is fine. Music is VERY low. I'm into tech stuff and I've done the basics of making sure my iPhone volume is max, removed any high volume protection limitations on iPhone, turned Sena 5s all the way up, used their EQ to make sure I boost it, I have EQ off on the iPhone as I should, and I contacted Sena who told me the most basic stuff despite all this same info (did I turn the volume up?--seriously). I also played around with speaker location. Not much improvement.

From all the boards I've read, plenty of other Sena users have this same problem.

I tried wearing AirPods. I don't like this option for various reasons and would not use this route.

I love listening to music. Is there any way to boost the audio on the iPhone or the Sena to improve the music? Or better headsets out there someone could recommend?

Thank you.

Here are some tips:

Did you select the HD audio boost on the Sena phone App (assuming you have the newer 5S with HD speakers)

If you pair the headset with a Ride command unit, that will kill your volume as the Ride command limits headset volume. Only pair the headset with the Phone and not the ride command.

The speakers need to be literally touching your ears slightly, for best results.

And most important, what kind of helmet are you using. Not al helmets limit noise. The HJC 90S Carbon and Schubert helmets are the quietest modular helmets tested on the market.

I have the Sena 50S with the HD speakers and I use both a HCJ 90 S and Schubert C3 Pro and I can hear the music fine but generally have to turn the speakers to 90-100% max.

These headsets for helmets were not originally designed for music, but people are using them for that. So they are trying to adjust. The biggest issue is the noise environment in the helmet.

I have tried aftermarket mini amps and HD speakers made for music, but at 70+ MPH the helmet noise gets you every time. They could make ANR (automatic noise reduction) but no one will do that for a motorcycle system due to liability reasons.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sena 10s is the same. Ear Buds or direct 3.5mm jack plug in ear speakers was the only solution I came up with. I use Bose direct plug in.
Thanks for the note. Sorry if this is dumb question, but how did you accomplish the direct 3.5mm jack? Is that plugging into the Sena? Or just to your phone? I'm trying to have it so the Garmin nav unit I use can still be used with bluetooth audio along with whatever I use for music. Thank you!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use a Sena 20S connected to a Samsung and to Ride Command ('17).
Try this check list.
Volume settings: You mentioned the phone, but did you dial up the Sena wheel -- a LOT? They are designed to require a lot of finger adjustment so you don't blast your ears out if you hit a bump while adjusting. Mine takes about 3/4 to 1 revolution of the wheel to notice any change in sound level.

Do other apps/functions have different levels? Phone function? Pandora vs on-board music?

Have you checked the placement of your speakers? I find there is a lot of trial and error getting the speakers in the correct position. When they seem to fit without any pressure points, I may not have any volume. My current helmet required some modification with a Dremel to the impact layer. It helped with both comfort and volume.

Pardon me. I just re-read your post. My above comments probably don't apply.

Which apps are you using?
Thanks for the response.

My Sena wheel seems to be fairly sensitive and it only take a few clicks to get to full volume, which is not very loud. The navigation is super loud but the music even at full volume is low.

I have confirmed they do have different volume settings and I've maxed them all out.

I've checked the placement of the speakers. I could probably continue to improve my approach here but it's frustrating that NAV is clearly heard in every position but music is barely audible once the bike is running.

I have a Garmin nav unit that is mounted to the bike and then an iPhone using the music app. That's it for apps.

·
Bronze member
5,127 Posts
Thanks for the note. Sorry if this is dumb question, but how did you accomplish the direct 3.5mm jack? Is that plugging into the Sena? Or just to your phone? I'm trying to have it so the Garmin nav unit I use can still be used with bluetooth audio along with whatever I use for music. Thank you!

Some of the Sena units have the 3.5mm jack but not all of them do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are some tips:

Did you select the HD audio boost on the Sena phone App (assuming you have the newer 5S with HD speakers)

If you pair the headset with a Ride command unit, that will kill your volume as the Ride command limits headset volume. Only pair the headset with the Phone and not the ride command.

The speakers need to be literally touching your ears slightly, for best results.

And most important, what kind of helmet are you using. Not al helmets limit noise. The HJC 90S Carbon and Schubert helmets are the quietest modular helmets tested on the market.

I have the Sena 50S with the HD speakers and I use both a HCJ 90 S and Schubert C3 Pro and I can hear the music fine but generally have to turn the speakers to 90-100% max.

These headsets for helmets were not originally designed for music, but people are using them for that. So they are trying to adjust. The biggest issue is the noise environment in the helmet.

I have tried aftermarket mini amps and HD speakers made for music, but at 70+ MPH the helmet noise gets you every time. They could make ANR (automatic noise reduction) but no one will do that for a motorcycle system due to liability reasons.
Thanks for the note.

My Sena phone app doesn't have HD audio boost exactly. It has HD Voice and HD Intercom. That's all I see. I did enable both but I don't think either apply to my situation.

My helmet is the Shoei RF-1400 Dedicated 2. It seems pretty quiet overall with the chin strap and such, and I can hear the nav audio loud and clear.

I will keep playing around with the speaker placement.

Do you use ear plugs with your Sena 50s? I ask as you say you can hear the speakers just fine. I am using some basic foam ear plugs. With these, I can still hear nav loud and clear but not the music.

Good points about the helmets not designed for music. Appreciate it.

·
Bronze member
5,127 Posts
Thanks for the note.

My Sena phone app doesn't have HD audio boost exactly. It has HD Voice and HD Intercom. That's all I see. I did enable both but I don't think either apply to my situation.

My helmet is the Shoei RF-1400 Dedicated 2. It seems pretty quiet overall with the chin strap and such, and I can hear the nav audio loud and clear.

I will keep playing around with the speaker placement.

Do you use ear plugs with your Sena 50s? I ask as you say you can hear the speakers just fine. I am using some basic foam ear plugs. With these, I can still hear nav loud and clear but not the music.

Good points about the helmets not designed for music. Appreciate it.

Ok that makes for sense. The standard Sena Headsets suck for music period, they recently came out with HD speakers and Audio on the later models and have 2 versions of backward compatible HD speaker sets for select models.

Is this the one you have?

5S - Bluetooth Intercom System | Sena

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That unit does have HD audio and speakers, is the firmware up to date, because you should have a selection on your phone app to turn on HD audio
The firmware is update as far as it will let me. One frustrating exchange I had last week with Sena support is that their web-site says a new firmware update came out on Sept 23rd, but their own iPhone app and Mac app doesn't show this as being able to download. I told them this and their "helpful" response was for me to open the software and download the firmware update. It's simply not there.

Here are screen shots of my firmware and the HD options I have available. The Sena web-site says firmware 1.1 is now available but I see no way to download it.

Font Material property Screenshot Technology Parallel

Product Font Communication Device Line Red

·
Rider
2,028 Posts
My Sena does indeed have the 3.5mm jack plug in the helmet unit. I also extended the SAE battery tender lead up the frame to the left hand side of the seat and use an SAE to double USB adapter to keep the SENA and my phone fully charged on longer trips.

Reactions: TheRamblinMan

·
Bronze member
5,127 Posts
The firmware is update as far as it will let me. One frustrating exchange I had last week with Sena support is that their web-site says a new firmware update came out on Sept 23rd, but their own iPhone app and Mac app doesn't show this as being able to download. I told them this and their "helpful" response was for me to open the software and download the firmware update. It's simply not there.

Here are screen shots of my firmware and the HD options I have available. The Sena web-site says firmware 1.1 is now available but I see no way to download it.

View attachment 650759

View attachment 650758

Try the device manager you can install on your computer and use the USB cable, that's how I update all my units

Sena 5S Downloads - Firmware & Software Updates | Sena

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks, this post came just in time. I just tried out my SENA SRL 2 today for the first time in my Shoei helmet and was disappointed with the sound. Zero bass and mid-range. On the road the music was just distracting background noise. Hopefully I can tweak it to sound better. Otherwise it’ll be for gps and intercom only

·
Bronze member
5,127 Posts
Thanks, this post came just in time. I just tried out my SENA SRL 2 today for the first time in my Shoei helmet and was disappointed with the sound. Zero bass and mid-range. On the road the music was just distracting background noise. Hopefully I can tweak it to sound better. Otherwise it’ll be for gps and intercom only

The Sena SRL 2 and for that fact all of the Sena and Hemet manufacture designed systems don't have the HD speakers or audio. You can only get it with the stand alone units

1 - 20 of 40 Posts