Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

My Scout feels like a toy now!

2K views 17 replies 16 participants last post by  17NDNSTL 
#1 ·
Spent a long weekend on a Chieftain Classic.

At near 900lbs wet, with grips that are huge and Levers that are hard pulls and massive. Not to mention a kickstand that hides and a rear brake *pedal* - going back to my 2019 scout today made me feel a little like a clown riding the small car.

When I first got the scout it felt BIG, but after trying some longer rides I was anxious to check out an Indian Bagger. Well I loved it and had a blast. Carving on that monster was huge smiles. I still love the scout, and it felt good not to worry about breaking an ankle every-time I rolled to stop - I have to admit the allure of a big bike is tempting.

Crazy to the think that an almost 1200cc bike is "small", but after time on the big boys, The scout feels like a sport bike!

#2 ·
I get the opposite feeling. I own a Scout Bobber and a Vintage. Since I ride the Scout more I find my Vintage as feeling like a monster. I was in a parking lot doing lock to lock figure 8’s on the Bobber this evening. My even thinking of trying that on my Vintage is a bit intimidating, lol. Mechanics of doing it are exact same. It’s just a size thing.

#3 ·
I don't have a comparison, I just always liked smaller motorcycles. I can still remember seeing a Honda Goldwing from the 1970's when I only had a Honda 90 Sport and thinking, 'I wouldn't want to ride a 2 wheeled car'. The thought never left me.

Reactions: CaptFlood
#4 ·
I fully agree . I bought a 2017 Cheiftain 3 months ago with 2 miles on it and never registered and got a phenominal deal . Trade in on the Scout wasn't worth it , I wasn't going to give it away . So glad I kept it . As much as I said I'd never have a use for a BIG bike ,I was wrong . Gotta say the Chieftain handles like a dream and it really is nice having all those amenities but that weight gets tiring after a while . Getting on the Scout now is more of a joy than ever , ease of handling and control on a bike I used to think was big .

#5 ·
I rode a Scout for a little over a year then traded to a Springfield. I would not go back. The Springfield seems to offer the best compromise of all worlds. However, I as well as many other miss the Scout. The only answer is to mortgage the house and get both bikes. I assume I look like a clown on any bike.

#6 ·
I notice this whenever I demo a Scout because I ride a Chieftain. They feel like riding a mini bike, especially at first. I do think downsizing to one is a possibility in the next few years as the cost of going to three wheels is too much to afford on my fixed retirement income.

#7 ·
I came from sport bikes back in my 20's, so the Scout feels like home. There's definitely some sport bike soul in there. Still, my frame has somewhat "enlarged" (and my ass and back have softened) since then and sometimes I feel like a big bike would suit me better. Maybe someday. I'm forcing myself to put at least 2 full seasons on the Scout before considering a trade-in. I do find myself eyeing the Chieftain, Springfield Dark Horse, and M8 Heritage quite a bit.

#8 ·
I had a Scout 60 for a year and 4 months, my brother said I looked like a monkey F'n a football on it, but I loved that bike. Always thought that I would step up to a bagger at some point, and that point came when a 8 hour ride over a busted up highway. Traded it on a Springfield a couple weeks after that ride. Love the Springfield, it is nimble just like my Scout was, enjoy tossing it around and doesn't feel like work. Once you get a taste of what true comfort is, you will be sold. But I do miss the Scout for pure acceleration alone.

Reactions: Hawgrunner
#9 ·
While having my FTR in for service, (I also have a Scout) I was told to go and ride the new chieftain with a 116, and all the goodie that go with it.. yes, it was a lighter feeling bike than its size eluded to, but it was still big. But My biggest beef?
It went like and old fat dog that ran out of breath way to soon..
Sssslllllooooowwwwwww.......
That's the part I could never get used to..
I get it, they aren't for speed.. but this IMHO was just not fun in anyway...
And to think, my dealer called it the Harley killer... I instantly felt bad for those that own either of those bikes...
It reinforced my sentiments of I'd rather have a small convertible sports car than one of those bikes...

#11 ·
I owned a Rocket 3 when a new Scout Bobber rolled into the park next to my house. I’m originally from Mass so had taken the pilgrimage to the old Indian factory in Springfield during my youth and always had a soft spot for Indian’s ‘motocycles.’ I couldn’t imagine owning such a ‘small’ bike but the Bobber looked great and since the owner was effusive in his praise, and Maine’s only dealer was only 20 minutes away...
Long story short, goodby Rocket, hello Scout and 12,000 miles of curvy New England backroad and gravel-strewn farm roads later I have absolutely no regrets. Were I a two-upper or a highway man the Scout likely would not have appealed to me as much as it does. I’ve owned dozens of bikes over the years and for who I am today and the type of riding I want to do, this is definitely the bike for me.

Even if I do look like a monkey f*ck*ng a football

Attachments

#12 ·
I've gotta say - the Chieftain felt like anything BUT a car. It was all motorcycle. Not once did I feel like I wasn't on an awesome 2 wheeled bike. Carving along both sides of the Delaware with a great playlist and a roadfull of likeminded 2-wheeled buddies. Rates as one of my most treasured biking memories.

#14 ·
Man, if you can find a way. Talk about the best of both worlds. I felt like a hero on the scout afterwards. I was so tired of handling the chieftain after 4 days that the scout was a dream, but I have to tell you - riding on the highway at 80 with the cruise on and stretching my hands out I felt like I never have on the highway. The scout gets pushed around on the interstates... not the chieftain. It may take a while but Im getting one.

#15 ·
I spent 4 years on my scout. Loved that bike. Light, nimble, and unreasonably fast with the mods I did.

Enter the roadmaster. Comfortable, no wind blasting my helmet, big thump, good stereo, gobs of torque. Bigger and heavier, but that's a good thing in many respects.

Different? Absolutely. But I've gotten my rm up to the same speeds as the scout in relatively the same time/distance. The rm is just where I am as a motorcycle enthusiast.

Plus the wife loves it, so I have no argument [emoji3]

#16 ·
eddie , we all had/have that feeling. few yrs back i road a hd sporty. felt like i was riding a mini bike. in another thread a newbie posted just got a bobber, wanted to put all stuff on it. told him hold on for a bit cos in short time he be wanted to ride a bigger bike.
Mark your at same place i am . with my RM. Been riding ultra's for about a decade or so.. now the RM. Just can't go back to a smaller bike. it be like pouring a small cup of coffee in am. would work for a very short time then i need more.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.