Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brownell’s makes it for $1300
Colt version,$2500
AR-15 version(M-16 AR A1) 5113D087-CF09-4273-ABDB-3E44CCF5E4D0.jpeg 5113D087-CF09-4273-ABDB-3E44CCF5E4D0.jpeg

·
Bronze member
2,373 Posts
Brownell’s makes it for $1300
Colt version,$2500
AR-15 version(M-16 AR A1) View attachment 433154 View attachment 433154
Not a big fan of Colt since I bought a couple of Officer's model .45's many moon's ago that I couldn't get any reliability out of no matter how much money I threw at the problem. Last Colt I bought was an AR carbine in 9mm. It's OK, just way overpriced.

For serious work the Ruger's are pretty good. They make an SR (.308) that's reliable and their AR's can be had for less that $600. Any of these would be more reliable than the old service rifles sorry to say.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would buy the AR because it is exact copy. I have an AK-47 for heavy stuff

Reactions: HINK and dieselgman

·
Rider
317 Posts
The M-16 you carried in Nam is still available and will run you near $20,000.

For the "heavy stuff" it's the M-14.

·
Bronze member
2,373 Posts
I would buy the AR because it is exact copy. I have an AK-47 for heavy stuff
Ok, it's a sentimental thing. The AK however is based on a single spring with sometimes less than robust manufacture. I personally prefer something with better a better design and accuracy. The fact that millions of rabid communists prefer the AK? Only strengthens my beliefs on the matter.

·
Bronze member
2,373 Posts
Have looked at Armalite?
No question they make a good gun. Pricey too, but they are high end.
Both platforms have a purpose. Especially when they’re SBRs.
All things have purposes...some just serve their purpose better. I have no use for weapons cheaply made in a tractor factory to be used by the political minority in an agrarian culture to overcome the will of the majority. YMMV. I also prefer American made.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Brownell's makes some great products! I have some of their armor's tools and mags. They also don't cancel your back ordered stuff only to resell it at a higher price like MidwayUSA does! :mad:

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have to find a transferable M-16, not many around. My friend has one

·
Founding member
787 Posts
I saw up close what an AK can do, that's why I chose it for one of my home defense weapon. My other weapon is a double barrel 12ga.

Reactions: ScotD

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Not a big fan of Colt since I bought a couple of Officer's model .45's many moon's ago that I couldn't get any reliability out of no matter how much money I threw at the problem. Last Colt I bought was an AR carbine in 9mm. It's OK, just way overpriced.

For serious work the Ruger's are pretty good. They make an SR (.308) that's reliable and their AR's can be had for less that $600. Any of these would be more reliable than the old service rifles sorry to say.
I have the Ruger SR 15 Takedown. Also have the 300 Blackout barrel. Its one of my favorites.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,029 Posts
I have a number of weapons but one of my favorites for home defense is my Mossberg Tactical 930. Semi-auto that functions nicely.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Never issued the M16 when I was there we had M14 guess I was old Corp. ckd about getting one but backed off on price and what I could use it for but I did pick up a good shooting M1 Garand from a Ffl licensed friend close to 30 years ago and take it to the range very once in a while.

·
Senior member / gold
6,425 Posts
The M16s were so unreliable and would jam up, that we often used the AK47s when we could find them in Nam, which wasn't very hard to do. The AKs were so sloppy, they were excellent in the jungle, with the mud and steamy conditions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts