Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being distracted over the winter, i finally finished my WW2 themed scout 60. I chose the 60 not only for the price, but because everything already being blacked out saved me a lot of work. I had done a similar theme with a sidecar bike, but i thought i could get a little more into it with this one, and give that bike a brother. The factory black wire spoke rims option were a bonus, and the dealer threw in powder coating the exhaust as part of the sale.

For the markings, i chose the 302nd reconnaissance troop (mechanized) of the 1st cavalry division. Generally i look at insignia until something clicks color or design-wise, but this lined up more than just the unit insignia colors looking great on green.

The idea of a single seater indian scout being part of recon makes sense in my head. Mechanized recon squad? Take the fast single seater and scout the enemy position! This squad also turned out to have native american code talkers (lakota, navajo amongst others.) The idea of a native american riding his horse to scout the enemy, his horse being the indian scout motorcycle, well i felt it was just meant to be. The 1 Cav insignia even has the horse, everything seemed to line up. They (1 cav) were dismounted before deployment, and a bike such as this is all i could think of to replace a trusty sidekick.

Of course, actual bikes were flat green, and didn't have unit insignia, and the bags weren't marked. I get to have some artistic license here.

I have to say, the tail light was the hardest part here. The modern one had to go, and figuring out wiring without settings codes was a PITA, I didn't touch the factory harness; it has all it's plugs and the new turn signals and tail light use the plugs from the old lights. I figured lights are easier to replace than the main harness! I had the fender filled by a local body friend, and then went to town changing the color. Lastly, she needs a bath from being in the shop all winter.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Motor vehicle Vehicle Scooter

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Tire

Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Wheel

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Fender

Motor vehicle Vehicle Bag

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive wheel system

Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank Fender

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Fuel tank

·
Speak softly and carry a big stick. Teddy R
1,529 Posts
Nice

Reactions: cortcomp

·
Registered
972 Posts
Dig it!
What handlebars are those?

·
Bronze member
1,257 Posts
Great tribute/ Way to go the bike and your efforts would make them proud.

·
Founding Member
434 Posts
Great looking Scout.

·
Registered
213 Posts
WOW! !!!! ... Great Job on this bike! ... Thumbs up!

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
After being distracted over the winter, i finally finished my WW2 themed scout 60. I chose the 60 not only for the price, but because everything already being blacked out saved me a lot of work. I had done a similar theme with a sidecar bike, but i thought i could get a little more into it with this one, and give that bike a brother. The factory black wire spoke rims option were a bonus, and the dealer threw in powder coating the exhaust as part of the sale.

For the markings, i chose the 302nd reconnaissance troop (mechanized) of the 1st cavalry division. Generally i look at insignia until something clicks color or design-wise, but this lined up more than just the unit insignia colors looking great on green.

The idea of a single seater indian scout being part of recon makes sense in my head. Mechanized recon squad? Take the fast single seater and scout the enemy position! This squad also turned out to have native american code talkers (lakota, navajo amongst others.) The idea of a native american riding his horse to scout the enemy, his horse being the indian scout motorcycle, well i felt it was just meant to be. The 1 Cav insignia even has the horse, everything seemed to line up. They (1 cav) were dismounted before deployment, and a bike such as this is all i could think of to replace a trusty sidekick.

Of course, actual bikes were flat green, and didn't have unit insignia, and the bags weren't marked. I get to have some artistic license here.

I have to say, the tail light was the hardest part here. The modern one had to go, and figuring out wiring without settings codes was a PITA, I didn't touch the factory harness; it has all it's plugs and the new turn signals and tail light use the plugs from the old lights. I figured lights are easier to replace than the main harness! I had the fender filled by a local body friend, and then went to town changing the color. Lastly, she needs a bath from being in the shop all winter.

View attachment 232049

View attachment 232057

View attachment 232065

View attachment 232073

View attachment 232081

View attachment 232089

View attachment 232097

View attachment 232105

View attachment 232113

View attachment 232121

View attachment 232129
Nicely done-- I can certainly appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts