Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2014 Distressed real leather seat and stripped it down with Acetone then re-dyed it . Since the rest of the leather , saddlebags , backrest , windshield bag are the desert tan leather I had to experiment and come up with a process to make them close in color . This is the finished results . Not too bad for my 1st. time doing a leather dye job .

·
Super Moderator
5,871 Posts
Mark -
Excellent. I'm finding this very interesting. Last year I managed to scarf up a full set of 2014 leather (Distressed Tan) from a forum member who converted her bike to a trike. Got a steal - entire set for $700.

Anyway, it's been sitting in the garage until I got time to strip and re-dye the set. The seat is currently with Mean Ciry Cycles for a rebuild - extra foam and padding. I find ALL stock motorcycle seats terrible after 4-5K miles. Once it gets back (next week) I plan to begin the re-dye process.

What intrigues me is maybe re-dying my 2015 leather to match. SO . . . please detail the process, methods, AND DYEs you used to match the 2014 leather to the 2015 leather. Any "gotchas" to watch out for?

Thanks!

EQ

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Mark -
Excellent. I'm finding this very interesting. Last year I managed to scarf up a full set of 2014 leather (Distressed Tan) from a forum member who converted her bike to a trike. Got a steal - entire set for $700.

Anyway, it's been sitting in the garage until I got time to strip and re-dye the set. The seat is currently with Mean Ciry Cycles for a rebuild - extra foam and padding. I find ALL stock motorcycle seats terrible after 4-5K miles. Once it gets back (next week) I plan to begin the re-dye process.

What intrigues me is maybe re-dying my 2015 leather to match. SO . . . please detail the process, methods, AND DYEs you used to match the 2014 leather to the 2015 leather. Any "gotchas" to watch out for?

Thanks!

EQ
A couple of things , to strip off the old leather to get it ready, buy a gallon of Acetone at Home Depot paint department . I actually ended up doing 3 different dye jobs to get what I liked . First time I followed what others did , came out too dark and reddish , then came out dark and orange color . I wanted a lighter color so I used Fiebings Pro Dye went with 2-3 parts light brown to 1 part Golden brown , then I cut the solution with equal amount of rubbing alcohol about 4 parts . Each layer of dye will get you darker and then I used Fiebings Resolene which also darkens the leather it has a sheen to it and seals and makes the rain run off with out soaking it . On the saddlebags etc . used the same dye mix and to lighten and make it the dark and light shades, after applying dye rubbed the surface with the acetone to lighten ( removing some of the dye ) and get it the shade I wanted . If you still have questions let me know . Any surface has to be prepared with acetone , if anyone is doing the 2015 or later leather do not scrub overly hard or you can ruin the texture on the leather . To be safe always add more alcohol to dye to lighten you can always add coats to darken and whatever you seal it with will darken the color , or you can add more dye to the mix also . If there is a way to add a PDF file to the posts let me know as I have a good one about dye jobs on all the Indian leather .

I think i got it working see 2 posts below for the PDF file .

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Nice job! Looks fantastic!

Question:
When the acetate is applied to the leather, does it completely bleach the leather, meaning will the leather coloring go back to the original flesh tone color? I have a black Mustang seat (which I was told was leather) that I would like to change to a bomber-jacket, darker brown. Do you think the acetone process would lighten or remove enough black dye/coloring to be able to re-dye with a darker brown?

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice job! Looks fantastic!

Question:
When the acetate is applied to the leather, does it completely bleach the leather, meaning will the leather coloring go back to the original flesh tone color? I have a black Mustang seat (which I was told was leather) that I would like to change to a bomber-jacket, darker brown. Do you think the acetone process would lighten or remove enough black dye/coloring to be able to re-dye with a darker brown?
Does Mustang offer leather seats as an option? No, we do not make any seats in leather; all Mustang seats are covered with top quality expanded vinyl for durability and easy care.
Seat General Information and FAQs | Motorcycle Seats ...

Cover Material
All covers are designed, cut and individually sewn at our New England facility. Covers are made of the highest quality expanded vinyl available. They have the appearance of black leather but the durability and resistance to the elements that exceed original equipment standards for motorcycle seats. All seams are sewn twice for strength. The bottom edge that holds the cover to the base plate is hemmed where the rivets hold the cover to the baseplate.

The edges of our seat skirts are finished with braid. Regal styles are tufted with covered buttons which are double-tied with four cords, not two. Mustang seats do not lose their buttons.

For those wanting to know about changing colors , this is what my seat looked like after stripping with acetone .

·
Bronze member
1,498 Posts
Does Mustang offer leather seats as an option? No, we do not make any seats in leather; all Mustang seats are covered with top quality expanded vinyl for durability and easy care.
Seat General Information and FAQs | Motorcycle Seats ...

Cover Material
All covers are designed, cut and individually sewn at our New England facility. Covers are made of the highest quality expanded vinyl available. They have the appearance of black leather but the durability and resistance to the elements that exceed original equipment standards for motorcycle seats. All seams are sewn twice for strength. The bottom edge that holds the cover to the base plate is hemmed where the rivets hold the cover to the baseplate.

The edges of our seat skirts are finished with braid. Regal styles are tufted with covered buttons which are double-tied with four cords, not two. Mustang seats do not lose their buttons.

For those wanting to know about changing colors , this is what my seat looked like after stripping with acetone .

View attachment 580558
Thanks for the info. Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing the seat isn't leather. Damn!

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
This dying process will only work on the 2014 leather. Here is mine that I did way back in 2014, years before Indian decided to offer their copycat color!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This dying process will only work on the 2014 leather.

Not true , look at the saddlebags , backrest and windshield bag they are all 2015 Vintage Chief desert tan leather . You just have to know how , first must use acetone but can not over rub , it removes the coating so the dye can remain and penetrate , make sure you use Fiebings Pro Dye

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Not true , look at the saddlebags , backrest and windshield bag they are all 2015 Vintage Chief desert tan leather .
Sure, but you basically top-coated the 2015 “leather”. You won’t get those results on a full color change.

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sure, but you basically top-coated the 2015 “leather”. You won’t get those results on a full color change.

Not sure what you mean by a "full color change " ,mine were dark enough that I had to lighten them after I dyed them to get the color I wanted . There is a whole section in the PDF file I provided above with pictures of 2015 and later desert tan that is dyed darker for anyone that wants to see some examples . I used watered down dye , cut with over 50% rubbing alcohol and I still lightened mine afterwards ( removed some of the dye by rubbing them with a cloth soaked in acetone ) to get the color you see in my pictures . If you mean you do not want to strip all the original color off the desert tan I fully agree , you can rub them too hard and actually make the texture totally smooth something you do not really want to do it ruins them. Below is a picture of a 2015 Roadmaster seat .

The Fiebings oil dye's are the way to go with Saddle Tan being [very close to] the Indian OEM color. The 2015 RM seat you see below was done by mixing one part Saddle Tan to one part Dark Brown. The dye was applied with a piece of grout sponge from Lowe's after a good cleaning with Fiebings Deglazer to prepare the surface. Dab on the dye and wipe it off with a micro fiber or soft cotton cloth as you go.
After you get the color you are looking for, apply a couple of coats of Fiebings Aussie Leather Conditioner and enjoy.

·
Senior member / rider
732 Posts
Not sure what you mean by a "full color change "
View attachment 580600
If you look at the picture I attached you’ll see what I mean. My understanding is the “leather” on the later bikes won’t take a change from brown to another color. Sure you can lighten or darken the brown, but doubtful you will get a good result going to a completely different color. You’re results were great btw, nice job!

·
Bronze member
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you look at the picture I attached you’ll see what I mean. My understanding is the “leather” on the later bikes won’t take a change from brown to another color. Sure you can lighten or darken the brown, but doubtful you will get a good result going to a completely different color. You’re results were great btw, nice job!

I would agree with that , because you cannot take all or most of the color out without totally ruining the texture of the "leather " . I had one spot where I rubbed too hard on my backrest and it took allot of effort to make it look right afterwards .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts