Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago i read an article about the best cruiser bikes and the Dark Horse was on the list. it was pretty much love at first site. i own a '09 V Star 950 which i will never give up, but i've always known that at some point i would want a bigger bike. and then i found it. joined the site a few months ago after lurking for a bit to try to get as much insight into this model and Indian bikes in general before i pulled the trigger. i planned on waiting for prices to drop on a leftover new 2019 model and then started seeing these in the Spring, but I also wanted to wait until next Winter before doing this. then i decided that i was OK with a gently used example and that i didn't really want to wait until winter, but had a tough time finding one. the last one that sold in Texas, to my knowledge, was months ago. i had to go out of state to find one. there were 2 or 3 good deals that i came across but i was too late on them as they had just sold before i could jump on the listing. i wanted to wait until i found a good overall deal, and i had then told myself to wait until October when i would be more comfortable and prepared on multiple fronts, but i was also starting to grow even more impatient. and i knew i had to be quicker to act on any possible deal or this would keep happening.

the only Dark Horse i'd seen in person was at a nearby dealership that had a new 2020 model which i knew i wasn't going to buy. i only went there in hopes i could test ride it but was justly told that they couldn't allow a test ride unless i showed serious interest in that one (salesman put zero effort in trying to convince me to be interested in the new 2020 one they had).

with cat-like reflexes and the speed of a mongoose i jumped on the next listing that seemed to check several boxes. the bike was 1,000 miles away in the middle of Iowa.

the listing on cycletrader by the dealership was for a bone stock '19 model with only 1,090 miles on the odometer and showed an asking price for $15800 . but they had included the banner "make an offer" which would suggest they are more motivated to sell than the other listings. i called them up basically just asking if it was still available. i wasn't even sure how much i wanted this particular one - a good part of my motivation was just that i didn't want to see another good one slip through my fingers. they told me it was available and i hadn't really thought how much i even wanted to offer. i thought for about 2 or 3 seconds and then threw out the number $14900. salesman placed me on hold for a moment and came back with $15000. i really wasn't even expecting to have this conversation right now so i was equal parts bewildered, anxious, excited, and cautious. i didn't want to make such a big decision without considering everything and being 100% prepared. i needed a day to sleep on it even though he just countered my offer by only $100. it really just came down to me knowing that my situation and ability to take this on wouldn't be much different in 2 or 3 months than it was right now. so i put a $500 down payment/hold on it and said i needed to see it in person and check it out before deciding on it.

yesterday i flew from Austin to Iowa and finally came face to face with what i've been obsessing about since last Winter. the salesman didn't lie, it was spotless. not a scratch on it or evidence of being driven other than the odometer. i was a tad concerned before the test ride since i test rode a '19 Vintage earlier this month to make sure this was the bike i wanted and that was as close to this model as i was going to get. i loved the Vintage, but that one had either mini apes or the handlebar adjusted to a position i didn't care for. i sat up a little taller than expected. i didn't anticipate the floorboards to be that far forward. and the clutch lever was just as heavy as i had remembered on a demo ride i took on a new Chief back around 2014. but i remembered that my V Star is pretty much the only bike i've ridden for the past decade and i'm pretty married to it, how it fits me, how it responds to me, and any other bike i ride is going to feel a little weird and take some getting used to.

i put the Horse in tour mode to start off since the Vintage i previously rode was on sport the whole time and i wanted to see the difference. i couldn't figure out at the time how to change the ride mode. after i crept around the building to start off, a wave of euphoria washed over me as i jaunted up a sparsely populated Iowa commercial road. maybe the Vintage test ride actually prepared my body to be more acclimated to this machine, but this felt much more comfortable. plus the ergonomics of the stock handlebar/placement made a world of difference. and the tour mode let me ease into the experience better. i was giddy when i popped into sport mode and rocketed up the speedo without even cracking the throttle open past halfway. the clutch still feels heavy, but not so much as i remembered on the Vintage. and it's probably beacuse my Yamaha clutch is so light that most other clutches will seem heavy by comparison anyway. definitely something i will gladly get used to. sold.

now i just have to find the right shipping company to get it back to me which is where i'm currently at, but i'm now officially an Indian owner. one HUGE difference i'm doing with this bike versus my Yamaha is i want to do pretty much all the customization on it up front. i took about a decade on the V Star customizing things here and there, but i want to do all of that right away with the Dark Horse. that's another thing i've been obsessing about over these past several months is trying to figure out all the things i want to do with it. so this will be my build thread. and i now present to you my bike.

·
Bronze member
2,180 Posts
Congrats! I am still in honeymoon with my Classic which I got in 2015 :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wondered where that listing went. I was contemplating picking it up as soon as I can get rid of the old trike that's been taking up space for the last few years. Now a Texan has come all the way up here and bought it. Probably karma for me driving to Texas and doing a similar thing a few years ago. Either way, congrats on your new bike! I hope you get many great miles out of it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
alright! Cool story and a very good bike! There’s only one thing bugging me. You flew up there but you weren’t prepared and didn’t ride it home. Those one way ticket trips are the absolute best.

Reactions: ALav

·
Senior member / gold
6,941 Posts
Congrats. I had gone to my local Indian dealer to buy a used Harley, wound up buying a Dark Horse off of the showroom. No regrets. It is my mistress. I spend most waking moments thinking about it.
Get a one way ticket back there, and ride her home. By the time you get home, you will be old friends. Pack a helmet, an overnight bag and go. You know you want to!!!
Welcome to the Tribe from South Florida!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
didn't want to take an unproven (to me) bike 1,000 miles right off the bat. plus the expenses to take off work and overnight stay and it just makes more sense to me to ship it. i've got plenty of time to get miles on it, don't worry.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ffffffffffffffffffffffinally got it delivered today! took Haul Bikes 6 weeks to get it to me. unreal. if you're looking for a good price, enclosed transport, included insurance coverage, and absolutely no care as to how long it takes to transport your bike, then Haul Bikes is the company for you. transport cost was $600 and included $15k insured on my $15k bike. i thought i was being generous by requesting a 3 week window to get the best quote. we both agreed upon this time window when i signed the contract and it's stated in black and white with the caveat it's "estimated" which translates to "meaningless". according to all the reviews i read afterwards, they don't deliver hardly anyone's bike in a timely manner. and their communication sucks. they informed me when my bike was scheduled for pickup at the dealership, when it was picked up, and then OVER A MONTH LATER when i had a 3-day delivery window for the following week. that's horrible. i called them twice during that period to find out what was going on. you really have no recourse. they'll take as long as they take and your agreed upon time window is utterly pointless.

but anyway, that will soon be forgotten because it's finally here. i made a little reveal video for another forum i'm on that was guessing what my new bike was going to be so here it is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Bro that made me laugh. Good shit. Congrats man. Can’t wait to see the mods!

Reactions: bevo1981

·
Registered
545 Posts
Great video. Specialized is a very good brand.

Reactions: bevo1981

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my first mod is a set of Avon Indian Air Cushion Anodized Grips with Throttle Assist, Part Number: #IN-TO-AIR-90A-B - $71, amazon
love these grips already. and you don't need any glue!! the clutch side grip has 3 set screws that you tighten when you get the grip into position so you can always move it or take it off later with ease. install of both took just a few minutes. the throttle grip has a throttle assist you can see by the thin black strip on the end that is sooooooooo much more relaxing. i put a throttle assist on my Yamaha V Star 950 very early on and can't imagine riding a bike without one at this point.
apology for the poor shot in my garage, but this isn't the final product anyway. got big plans for the grips coming...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after a couple days riding with these i've noticed they are slimmer and harder than the kuryakyn iso grips. Avon markets these as "air cushioned" or something, but i'm not sensing that at all. still like them, just not exactly what i had expected. and they're getting covered up anyway...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts