Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

Hope you are all doing great.

I have got my new 2017 Scout White ABS delivered this Sunday. I liked this bike and this got a lot of power in it. I was driving those 100 and 150 CC motorbikes back in India. Thanks for this forum to get connected through. I hoping I would be helpful to someone down the line. I love to ride motorcycles but I don't know anything about what's in them :)

For solo riding I want to remove back rests, passenger seat, sissy bar and saddlebags. I got the wrenches set tool box and was successful in removing those bolts. But to remove the passenger seat and other things I needed another set of tools and I am looking for a help on what are those screws are called and what type of screw driver or tools needed for me to be able to remove them ??

Also, I looking to add a USB charger to it, any help with links already discussed and recommended products and how to add videos would be appreciated.

Finally, should I add some LED lights to my Scout to be visible for others in night or even at day time who drive in cars and trucks and any recommendations and how to videos??

18556567_10154586299295686_1976182590923036352_o.jpg
18556512_10154586299130686_4580188980871781386_o.jpg

·
Administrator
15,818 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the tribe -- fine lookin bike. Regretfully, however, I'm on an RM and hence of little value in the how-to questions you ask But lots of scout enthusiasts here so undoubtedly you'll get some help soon.

·
Administrator
15,818 Posts
And on my seat etc it's all Allen screws -- mayhaps that's what you are referring to? Get a set of 2-11mm Allen wrenches and you'll have everything covered.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Firstly, welcome to the tribe -- fine lookin bike. Regretfully, however, I'm on an RM and hence of little value in the how-to questions you ask But lots of scout enthusiasts here so undoubtedly you'll get some help soon.
Thank you.

And on my seat etc it's all Allen screws -- mayhaps that's what you are referring to? Get a set of 2-11mm Allen wrenches and you'll have everything covered.
Yes, that is the one. I will look for them near by store today or tomorrow and get rid of extra stuff added to my scout during my solo commute to office. Thank you for your help and much appreciated.

·
Bronze member
2016 Indian Scout
1,849 Posts
Congrats and enjoy. Look behind license plate bracket. There is an allen wrench which probably works on those bolts.

·
Registered
187 Posts
congrats and welcome to the tribe from Sturgis!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Why go to the trouble of removing all that gear? The bike looks great! It's very functional and practical gear to have on a motorcycle.

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Why go to the trouble of removing all that gear? The bike looks great! It's very functional and practical gear to have on a motorcycle.
It's like having to bikes... sometimes your in the mood for naked,, other times your feeling like wearing a tux on the town!
Beside that, bike does ride better with out the gear.. less weight, and , better wind behavior..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah! That's painful removing and putting them back. But, I actually liked the bike more naked without all gear. While I am driving to my office for about 5 mi all I need is my back pack. I can drive with accessories I put while going for longer drives.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's like having to bikes... sometimes your in the mood for naked,, other times your feeling like wearing a tux on the town!
Beside that, bike does ride better with out the gear.. less weight, and , better wind behavior..
Yes, I felt the same. Gear adds 10s of pounds for sure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After driving 100 mi I am feeling that seat is hurting my ass.. any suggestions to have that seat with some extra support or have to change?? I have spent a lot of money already and I am not in a position to invest anymore.. :D

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Yeah! That's painful removing and putting them back. But, I actually liked the bike more naked without all gear. While I am driving to my office for about 5 mi all I need is my back pack. I can drive with accessories I put while going for longer drives.
First, I don't think the saddlebags change the way the bike rides. I carry tools, air compressor, tire plugs, water, waterproof liner, etc. so mine NEVER come off. My buddy who doesn't care for them was real happy I had the things he can't carry, when he needed them. To be fair, I got rid of those terrible tires and suspension, so that may be part of the reason I don't think they are a negative. That said, removing the saddle bags is quick and requires no tools, so do that by flipping the cams and leave the spools on the rear fender.

Second, the riders backrest is the best thing I ever put on there. Changes the bike, makes it way more comfortable. Taking it off and on will get tedious real quick.

Third, I totally get wanting to remove the passenger backrest. It's a wind anchor without someone on the back. I can also understand removing the passenger seat, as I use a rack instead...

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
After driving 100 mi I am feeling that seat is hurting my ass.. any suggestions to have that seat with some extra support or have to change?? I have spent a lot of money already and I am not in a position to invest anymore.. :D
You think it's uncomfortable now... wait until you remove the backrest...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First, I don't think the saddlebags change the way the bike rides. I carry tools, air compressor, tire plugs, water, waterproof liner, etc. so mine NEVER come off. My buddy who doesn't care for them was real happy I had the things he can't carry, when he needed them. To be fair, I got rid of those terrible tires and suspension, so that may be part of the reason I don't think they are a negative. That said, removing the saddle bags is quick and requires no tools, so do that by flipping the cams and leave the spools on the rear fender.

Second, the riders backrest is the best thing I ever put on there. Changes the bike, makes it way more comfortable. Taking it off and on will get tedious real quick.

Third, I totally get wanting to remove the passenger backrest. It's a wind anchor without someone on the back. I can also understand removing the passenger seat, as I use a rack instead...
Okay! So, I said I like to ride motorcycle naked which I like. For my overall 10 mi commute I don't see carrying all the tools a necessity. I can have main tool box which bought last week in my backpack which only carries my laptop and adapter. Everyone have their own liking and they go with that. I will surely have all those gear when I am cruising for longer distances. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
Okay! So, I said I like to ride motorcycle naked which I like. For my overall 10 mi commute I don't see carrying all the tools a necessity. I can have main tool box which bought last week in my backpack which only carries my laptop and adapter. Everyone have their own liking and they go with that. I will surely have all those gear when I am cruising for longer distances. Thank you.
So as I said, they come off real easy... just pop them off...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You think it's uncomfortable now... wait until you remove the backrest...
I removed it and tried. No difference. My bone between my ass cheeks or whatever you call is in painful situation after you ride motorcycle few miles and rest and then again you ride and I will see fracking it is hurting me.. :(:mad:

Life is compromise, so I will wait until next Spring and buy a different seat or get it customized.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts