Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
After 500 or so miles it should be better. My springfield didn't get as hot after the motor had some miles on it. You can go catless for biggest difference and or a good tune

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel your pain though, it stays 100+ heat index here for 4 months . About turned my thigh into pork rinds one day in heavy traffic. It will get better. You might remove your lowers in the hottest months for some relief as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
417 Posts
Check with Your Dealer ! Mine installed True Dual Header right when they uncrated it . They said it does not affect warranty at all !! It is to appease the Federal government !! Only State that can't remove them is California and they have other restrictions on Their bikes as well

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Rider
417 Posts
You have many options, remove the CAT from the housing, did that to my 16 RM helped but the empty CAT housing is made of heavy steel so it still produces some heat ! The True Duals on My 17 RM is Awesome !! There are a couple of X pipes available the best one uses the stock shield so no one knows you removed it there are Many threads on here with pics pro's and con's of all the resolutions and DYI on how to de cat the CAT.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I Also remove My Lowers in the Dead of Summer !! Not because of heat on Me but I want to let as Much Air flow to the Engine in 90+ Heat

·
Registered
265 Posts
American Customs has a nice in expensive way of doing that, you can send them yours, they will de cat & return OR you can purchase them and get a core charge refund once they receive them. I had them do my stock pipes and I'm happy with how they turned out, gonna do the head pipes once I get a chance

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just traded a HD for the RM. Awesome bike. except for the Intense heat. i have looked at a lot of treads. on heat shields. got the plastic one's put on, didn't really do anything much.
I bought the crotch cooler. It seems to really work well. Much less heat even when stopped. Looks nice too. Seems to cool the engine on the highway as well.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Just traded a HD for the RM. Awesome bike. except for the Intense heat. i have looked at a lot of treads. on heat shields. got the plastic one's put on, didn't really do anything much.
Those are known not to work, get the Captain Itch Crotch Cooler and that will help some, but also recommend a Voodoo Air Breather, decated Header, and aftermarket exhaust, all the later requiring a new ECU Flash Tune. Suggest a PVCX from FuelMoto for that.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
All the responses here are spot-on regarding the Capt' Itch and PVCX, both of which I have done. Eventually, someone will stumble into this thread and start in with the "it's an air-cooled v-twin, they get hot, man up and ride hurr-durr!". While there is a grain of truth in that statement, those people are probably rolling around on a Chieftain, Springfield, or Vintage, all of which LACK the hard lowers that come on the RM. I usually remove my lowers when the average temp exceeds 85, and put them back on in the fall. The difference in airflow is amazing, which is probably why Indian redesigned the lowers for 2019.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Agree with the posts here. For me losing the CAT, true duals, GETTING A captain Itch crotch cooler and a Pvcx made at least a 35 to 40 percent difference in temps from the rear jug on my 17 RM. It was simply insane heat before these changes IMHO.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.