Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,233 Posts
Need to know if the engine will turn over, not stuck or seized. Probably will need carburetor cleaned and check to see if it has spark (if it does a new spark plug). Looks like it needs a kick starter arm. Carburetor might need rebuilt and ignition might too if no spark but that depends upon what you find out. Good luck.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,086 Posts
That looks like the Motori Minarelli P470 & P475 engine that came in the
SE-74 series.

You can find loads of info and posts here:

·
Bronze member
2,233 Posts
Great find, my 1st kick start dirt bike was one of these back in the day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I thought it was supper cool finding this , I want to get it going again too

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Need to know if the engine will turn over, not stuck or seized. Probably will need carburetor cleaned and check to see if it has spark (if it does a new spark plug). Looks like it needs a kick starter arm. Carburetor might need rebuilt and ignition might too if no spark but that depends upon what you find out. Good luck.
Thank you ! Are the parts for this little 70 available? Can I obtain them here?
Or can you maybe direct me to where I might obtain parts please?
Any help is appreciated !

·
Registered
99 Posts
Check out www.indiandirtbikeparts.com also, keep an eye on eBay...the fenders, seats, handlebars, footpegs and many other things will interchange between all models...there are a few different gas tanks ...the engines vary by the C.C. and the year of the bike...they aren't too hard to work on.. but, some parts are getting a bit harder to find.
Good luck & keep us updated on the progress.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can find a service manual for that bike on the website ....that will give you the part numbers to look for. Then go to the store. If he still has any n.o.s. it'll come up in the search..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check out www.indiandirtbikeparts.com also, keep an eye on eBay...the fenders, seats, handlebars, footpegs and many other things will interchange between all models...there are a few different gas tanks ...the engines vary by the C.C. and the year of the bike...they aren't too hard to work on.. but, some parts are getting a bit harder to find.
Good luck & keep us updated on the progress.
Thanks for the help !
Took the little indian over to visit with a buddy who knows more than me about the dirt bikes ,
It's got good compression & he said he thinks it will not take a lot to get it running. I need a few things though.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
Check the underside of the fuel tank carefully. If it's got water in it the bottom of the tank will rust into tiny holes that might not show up until later. You can get surface rust out by shaking a bunch of sharp gravel or nuts/bolts around in it. And sometimes you can seal the tank - I once did a tank with this stuff

Fuel left in the carby might have formed a varnish and blocked jets. They will need to be cleaned or replaced. You can sometimes clean a jet with a thin wire and some rubbing compound on it. A few back and forth motions at a time, you don't want to enlarge the hole.

Rubber will harden with age, so fork seals will need replacing. Same with the air filter element. A block of new foam rubber is mostly OK for an old carby motor.

Check whatever bushings are in the swing arm pivot. They will need removing and cleaning up, perhaps replacing if the arm shows any looseness. It's usually greased on assembly but they don't have grease nipples so they dry out and then wear out.

Same with wheel bearings.

The chain is probably rusted and will have some seized links. Sometimes a good cleanup will get it loose again, but a new chain might be on the list. And depending on wear, maybe new sprockets. Worn sprockets will quickly run the life out of a new chain so replacing them all together is a good idea.

Check the brake shoes. Some of those old brakes had replaceable material, others replaced the whole shoe. A bit of sandpaper will dress up the surface, but also check the condition of the hub. If the shoe was resting on the alloy it might be corroded and need some work to get a decent braking surface back.

Run over the wiring for cracked insulation. Sometimes an old bike in a shed becomes home to mice and it might have some chewed wiring.

You might find the seat foam is dry and crumbling inside once you start to ride it.

The bike looks in pretty good condition overall, but the bottom pic shows something on the left fork leg. Is that just dirt or has it rusted? If rusted, it will need replacing.

Have fun with the resto. I've had a lot of fun doing up two strokes when they were the norm. And riding little bikes is also a lot of fun, max throttle with low power is a great leveler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Check the underside of the fuel tank carefully. If it's got water in it the bottom of the tank will rust into tiny holes that might not show up until later. You can get surface rust out by shaking a bunch of sharp gravel or nuts/bolts around in it. And sometimes you can seal the tank - I once did a tank with this stuff

Fuel left in the carby might have formed a varnish and blocked jets. They will need to be cleaned or replaced. You can sometimes clean a jet with a thin wire and some rubbing compound on it. A few back and forth motions at a time, you don't want to enlarge the hole.

Rubber will harden with age, so fork seals will need replacing. Same with the air filter element. A block of new foam rubber is mostly OK for an old carby motor.

Check whatever bushings are in the swing arm pivot. They will need removing and cleaning up, perhaps replacing if the arm shows any looseness. It's usually greased on assembly but they don't have grease nipples so they dry out and then wear out.

Same with wheel bearings.

The chain is probably rusted and will have some seized links. Sometimes a good cleanup will get it loose again, but a new chain might be on the list. And depending on wear, maybe new sprockets. Worn sprockets will quickly run the life out of a new chain so replacing them all together is a good idea.

Check the brake shoes. Some of those old brakes had replaceable material, others replaced the whole shoe. A bit of sandpaper will dress up the surface, but also check the condition of the hub. If the shoe was resting on the alloy it might be corroded and need some work to get a decent braking surface back.

Run over the wiring for cracked insulation. Sometimes an old bike in a shed becomes home to mice and it might have some chewed wiring.

You might find the seat foam is dry and crumbling inside once you start to ride it.

The bike looks in pretty good condition overall, but the bottom pic shows something on the left fork leg. Is that just dirt or has it rusted? If rusted, it will need replacing.

Have fun with the resto. I've had a lot of fun doing up two strokes when they were the norm. And riding little bikes is also a lot of fun, max throttle with low power is a great leveler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep there is a lot to do yet I think it's worth the efforts ,the cables need replaced , I need a rear brake pedal,tires tubes , the 70cc seems hard to find parts for,looks like it's gonna take some time to get it going 👍 any & all help &ADDVICE is definitely appreciated for sure !
Thanks for the tips .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts