Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
Pretty cool here, Rick. And I also never missed an episode of it when it was first run back in the day.

Just wonderin' here though how many people might instead think the owner of the bikes that'll sport this insignia might be a Mason?

(...eeh, what am I sayin' here...I'll bet 95 percent the American population today wouldn't know what this insignia represents, let alone even know who Michael Parks was and that that Sportster he rode would magically change into an Italian-built Aermacchi 350 Sprint rebadged a "Harley-Davidson" whenever he rode it off into the dirt!) ;)

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
S
The actual bike Michael Parks rode in the show now resides in the National Packard Museum. My wife & I both went there last year. It's in Youngstown Ohio.
So reinie, I assume you're talkin' about the Sportster that Parks rode here, huh. ;)

'Cause of course, IF you were talkin' about the aforementioned Aermacchi 350 Sprint I brought up earlier in this thing and which the Bronson character is shown riding in the dirt within a few episodes, it would have been famed motorcycle racer and movie stunt rider Bed Ekins who actually rode THAT one, ya know.

(...the same guy, who you probably know, also doubled for McQueen in The Great Escape barbed wire border fence jump scene on that Triumph made to look as much as possible like a German Military issue motorcycle...Bud said there was no way in hell he was gonna attempt that on a BMW or DKW...probably felt the same way about the use of a Sportster in the Bronson series as well)

·
Bronze Member
1,701 Posts
Bud Ekins also owned one of the rarest motorcycles ever made. The one-of-a-kind 1916 Traub.

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
Bud Ekins also owned one of the rarest motorcycles ever made. The one-of-a-kind 1916 Traub.

Thanks for posting this, splitt. Interesting little bit motorcycling history, isn't it.

Sort of makes me think of another motorcycle designer and builder who many decades later would also make one the most innovative motorcycles ever...New Zealander John Britten and his V1000 race bike, but he'd build 10 of his creations before dying much too young at age 45 from cancer in 1995.

·
Rider
879 Posts
S

So reinie, I assume you're talkin' about the Sportster that Parks rode here, huh. ;)

'Cause of course, IF you were talkin' about the aforementioned Aermacchi 350 Sprint I brought up earlier in this thing and which the Bronson character is shown riding in the dirt within a few episodes, it would have been famed motorcycle racer and movie stunt rider Bed Ekins who actually rode THAT one, ya know.

(...the same guy, who you probably know, also doubled for McQueen in The Great Escape barbed wire border fence jump scene on that Triumph made to look as much as possible like a German Military issue motorcycle...Bud said there was no way in hell he was gonna attempt that on a BMW or DKW...probably felt the same way about the use of a Sportster in the Bronson series as well)
Huh... I can't count how many times various Street Bikes been used OffRoad... My Sportster was my DirtBike for a long time ...as I did Not care for the Sprint!! and would Not buy Imports... Hell... My brother and I routinely chased the escaped farm animals with our Bikes... his was/is a '68 FLH... After all... this wasn't MotoCross!!!!!

Edit; BTW, the BMW of the day was at least as Capable as the Triumph!!!
I suspect Politics!!!!!!

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,242 Posts
Every kid like me loved that show. I only had a little Honda but that's all I could afford working as a sack boy at a local supermarket while in high school. Dreamed of having a bigger bike like his though.

·
Bronze member
1,336 Posts
Huh... I can't count how many times various Street Bikes been used OffRoad... My Sportster was my DirtBike for a long time ...as I did Not care for the Sprint!! and would Not buy Imports... Hell... My brother and I routinely chased the escaped farm animals with our Bikes... his was/is a '68 FLH... After all... this wasn't MotoCross!!!!!

Edit; BTW, the BMW of the day was at least as Capable as the Triumph!!!
I suspect Politics!!!!!!
I dunno, Racepres. Even a then contemporary to the movie's filming era of the early-'60s Beamer weighed approx. 430lbs, and whereas the Triumph T6 that Ekins used weighs only 360lbs, and this factor alone would make quite a difference when we're talkin' about jumping a motorcycle like that.

(...and besides, I don't recall there being that many BMW desert racers back then if at all, and whereas Triumphs were used all the time in that type of racing, and in fact were the brand used when Ekins and McQueen teamed up for the 1964 International Trials race held in Europe, remember)

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
That was a great show. But I wonder.... how did he ride and survive without ABS, lean angle sensor, infotainment, ECU VCM, and the rest of the blah blah blah LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yep, I was a big fan of the show like so many others. Re-arranged my schedule if necessary to watch the show every week....no DVR or whatever back then! Had bought a new '69 Sportster and, although a different color, had it set up as close to Bronson's as I could. BTW, traded my '66 BSA Lightning in on the Sportster.......anybody else ride a BSA back in the day?

·
Rider
879 Posts
Yep, I was a big fan of the show like so many others. Re-arranged my schedule if necessary to watch the show every week....no DVR or whatever back then! Had bought a new '69 Sportster and, although a different color, had it set up as close to Bronson's as I could. BTW, traded my '66 BSA Lightning in on the Sportster.......anybody else ride a BSA back in the day?
Yup... still have it.... a '68 BSA Thunderbolt [Single carb]... Jeeze, I still have My Little Honda CT-70 ['69 I think] that I got new..and my '58 Triumph Tiger Cub... Like the BSA, and my Sportster..... Not New!!!!

·
Senior member / gold
6,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I inherited a BSA Victor 441 from a friend whose mom made him give it up. That was the nastiest bike I ever owned. Satan himself must have designed the bike, alongside Lucas... Prince of Darkness! God! I loved that bike! Just trying to start it the wrong way would put your life in jeopardy! Hahaha!

·
Rider
879 Posts
I inherited a BSA Victor 441 from a friend whose mom made him give it up. That was the nastiest bike I ever owned. Satan himself must have designed the bike, alongside Lucas... Prince of Darkness! God! I loved that bike! Just trying to start it the wrong way would put your life in jeopardy! Hahaha!
At one time I lusted for a 441... then I got a ride on a 390 Husqvarna... Rode the Jackpine [to a non glamorous finish] with that Husky... never looked at a 441 again!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts