Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed my 500 mile oil change. No problems at all. I could find no way with my motorcycle jack to keep the bike level. Used a 2x4 under the kick stand to keep it somewhat level and it worked pretty good. Opened up the oil filter to see how things looked. A little metal, I'm sure mostly from the gearbox. Nothing I was not expecting. One thing though, man you think that filter looks small on the outside! Once you get it apart the filter itself is really tiny. It does have a bypass and an anti drain back design. Once I get outside my warranty I will switch to the bigger Wix filter for Victorys (51356). If anyone wants pics of the inside of the filter let me know and I will go and take some. Dean E.

Reactions: Dirtygss

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think everyone would like to see the pics Dean ;)

I sure would.

Reactions: harry

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
That is one sorry looking filter design! As a part of my "old" USAF aircraft maintenance training and reflecting on the design of this filter, the only impressive thing I can see is the high percentage of metal used for the internals...the filter media, not so much! I'll bet the filter runs in bypass mode more than you'd like!

·
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is one sorry looking filter design! As a part of my "old" USAF aircraft maintenance training and reflecting on the design of this filter, the only impressive thing I can see is the high percentage of metal used for the internals...the filter media, not so much! I'll bet the filter runs in bypass mode more than you'd like!
It is a paper media without a doubt. Much more impressed with the Puralator Pure 1 filters. Not sure if they make one that will fit this but I trust the Wix filters. The Victory one is definitely bigger that what is called out for from Indian and the extra length will not be an issue on the Indian. Dean E

Reactions: harry

·
Super Moderator
4,887 Posts
Have to agree with you guys, 1" of filter media is not impressive. :(

However that drain back valve assembly looks pretty healthy.

·
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have to agree with you guys, 1" of filter media is not impressive. :(

However that drain back valve assembly looks pretty healthy.

I agree. For as small as the actual filter is though when you cut it out and stretch it the overall length is about 3 ft. Dean

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Just completed my 500 mile oil change. No problems at all. I could find no way with my motorcycle jack to keep the bike level. Used a 2x4 under the kick stand to keep it somewhat level and it worked pretty good. Opened up the oil filter to see how things looked. A little metal, I'm sure mostly from the gearbox. Nothing I was not expecting. One thing though, man you think that filter looks small on the outside! Once you get it apart the filter itself is really tiny. It does have a bypass and an anti drain back design. Once I get outside my warranty I will switch to the bigger Wix filter for Victorys (51356). If anyone wants pics of the inside of the filter let me know and I will go and take some. Dean E.
If that is your ferocious biker dog, I have one just like it. He loves to ride on my Chieftain, all for pounds of him.. Hope I don't exceed the Chieftain weight carrying limit

·
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is Ruby. A friend of mine down in Arkansas owns her. I stay down their with him when we attend the BBB down in Fayetteville. She is all attitude and hilarious to watch. She got a lot of big dog attitude even for a chiwawa. Dean E

·
Registered
506 Posts
Whats the microns on the filtering. Most are making smaller filters but the paper is catching smaller bits...

·
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats the microns on the filtering. Most are making smaller filters but the paper is catching smaller bits...
Not sure what the stock filter ratings are at. The Wix site does show compatible filters and what they are rated at. Dean E

·
Registered
311 Posts
I think your rite about the by pass,was looking on wix site and saw by pass valve set at 8-10 psi. That is real low psi.so the only time we are not in by pass is at idle. Made my mind up to buy those black hole magnets that go around the filter to catch metal that is not being filtered.

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
I think your rite about the by pass,was looking on wix site and saw by pass valve set at 8-10 psi. That is real low psi.so the only time we are not in by pass is at idle. Made my mind up to buy those black hole magnets that go around the filter to catch metal that is not being filtered.
This is not true. 8-10 psid (differential pressure) is quite a normal rating. The normal DP across a filter is typically well below 5. So you are NOT normally running on the Bypass. If it is below 30 and you rev the throttle and the oil is still cold, you might go into bypass. The oil filter in production engines is never a major restriction. Any standard filter will pass 10-15 times the flow of the engine oil galleries. Common misconception by most folks. The K&P will not cause any more oil flow through the engine. It will allow more flow through the pressere relief valve. Engine bearing and orificies are sized for the required flow. The filter will not change this.

·
Founding Member
529 Posts
Many confuse the two. Mags won't hurt.

·
Banned
241 Posts
fwiw. my uncounted #’s of oil changes. Remove BOTH oil drain plugs- main & the scavenger drain plug. And do this w/ the kickstand down. F*ck the proverbial ‘book’ or manual that says otherwise with a green Nicaraguan banana.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts