Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, My name is Matt and I'm very new to these forums and motorcycles in general. I was looking for information on this motorcycle in my area and if anyone could give any information. I've always associated the brand 'Indian' with high quality vintage motorcycles. This is the motorcycle in my area. All the title for the ad says is "Antique Indian Motorcycle" and doesn't have anything for a year or model in the description. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.
00U0U_d5urObpoIm5_600x450.jpg
01414_dI9OghIk3CK_600x450.jpg
00U0U_d5urObpoIm5_600x450.jpg
01414_dI9OghIk3CK_600x450.jpg
00W0W_gHpZ7qpOck7_600x450.jpg
00s0s_gkjz5WlCaID_600x450.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi Matt. That looks like a 2-cycle engine with a centrifugal clutch. In addition to that, it looks like a gas tank from a vintage Japanese bike. can you get picture of the right hand side of the engine case. That would give us a clue as to the manufacturer of the engine is. I would not use copper for a fuel line. It does something to the gasoline.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I can't. This is from an ad near me. I will ask the person who is selling and I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've always associated the brand 'Indian' with high quality vintage motorcycles. This is the motorcycle in my area.
Thats mostly true, at least up to the early 50's. The bikes sold as "Indians" in the 60's and 70's were mostly re-badged imports from England, Italy, and Taiwan. Not much was done with the brand again until 99.

That is a 1970's Indian MT-100 "Trail Bike". 100cc dirt bike. The engine looks to be a Fuji F500K. Check these guys out: www.indiandirtbikeparts.com Indian Dirt Bike Parts specializes in NOS parts for the Indian Dirt Bike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats mostly true, at least up to the early 50's. The bikes sold as "Indians" in the 60's and 70's were mostly re-badged imports from England, Italy, and Taiwan. Not much was done with the brand again until 99.

That is a 1970's Indian "Trail Bike". 100cc dirt bike. The engine looks to be a Fuji F500K. Check these guys out: www.indiandirtbikeparts.com Indian Dirt Bike Parts specializes in NOS parts for the Indian Dirt Bike
I think you're right but I'll still go look at the bike. Would you think this would be a first good bike if I were to make it street legal if it isn't already?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well, its a dirt bike, not a street bike.

Made in Taiwan, Japanese engine.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Like a circus bear trained to entertain the crowds! Think id be looking at something a little larger and made for the highway.
Good luck and i hope you find something to suit.
Ride safe

·
Registered
236 Posts
For a starter bike, if you are looking for a cruiser type, look at a Honda Shadow, Suzuki Boulevard C50, or Kawasaki Voyager. Start off will a lighter model (750cc's) and something that is several years old. That way, if you dump the bike and scratch something up, you really don't have a lot of money into the bike. Take a riding course. What you learn there will save your butt in a panic situation.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
6' 1
On that bike would be hilarious. I agree with Rosen39, I had a run around bike 440 Kawasaki and was a great bike, but no power for my size & weight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts