Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Indian
2019 Chieftan DH , Built 116 BBK with stage 3 .
Extremely excited .

Bike.jpg

For the Indian Demo day I rode the ones with the midrise bars which i presume are Indian which they say are 4" above stock and I found it perfect .
I found the KST Mayhem Bars which are cheaper and cooler looking but 6"

Just wondering if the extra 2 " would be too much for my height , 5"8" .
Anyone ever had a similar issue ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I had a set of the KST bars on my '17 Roadmaster. I tried them without my Rox Risers, and with my Rox Risers. Without the Rox Risers, they were a little too far forward. With the Rox Risers, they were close enough, but I still had issues, and I ended up going back to the stock bars after about a month or two. I am 5' 7". The issue that I was having was that the grips are too far apart and too straight for the length of my arms. The angle was causing my hands to go numb after 20 or 30 minutes' riding, along with pain in my wrists. The width was causing me to have a lot of problems doing slow-speed maneuvers while teaching the MSF courses, the main one being that I could not work inside the friction zone for the clutch when the bars were turned to the right.

They may have worked for me if the grips had been at the same width and angle as the stock grips.

Reactions: lastcrusader

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have the KST Apache for my chieftain and love them better then stock. I’m 5’7” with no issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Interesting that for the OEM 4" midrise, Indian says you need clutch cable kit, but KST says for their 6" you don't?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
I have the KST Apache Bars on my Roadmaster and love them, I’m 6’1”
DA26543C-AF4B-4A80-9BBE-5A873375FC88.jpeg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Extremely excited .

Bike.jpg

For the Indian Demo day I rode the ones with the midrise bars which i presume are Indian which they say are 4" above stock and I found it perfect .

I can't speak for the KST bars, but I'm also 5'8" and have the Indian mid-rise bars on my '19 Chieftain Limited. No issues with the height of the bars, but the reach was too much for me. So, I installed Rox Risers, which brought the bars back 2". I now love the mid-rise bars . . . my hands are level with my shoulders, which is the most comfortable position for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I can't speak for the KST bars, but I'm also 5'8" and have the Indian mid-rise bars on my '19 Chieftain Limited. No issues with the height of the bars, but the reach was too much for me. So, I installed Rox Risers, which brought the bars back 2". I now love the mid-rise bars . . . my hands are level with my shoulders, which is the most comfortable position for me.
View attachment 623398
Did you need to get extended cables?

·
Registered
28 Posts
The mid-rise bars were installed on my bike by the dealer before I bought it . . . I don't think longer cables are required, but don't know for sure.
On the "Build a Bike" feature of the Indian website, when you select mid-rise bars, it adds a required cable, so I am guessing it did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So got the OEM midrise bars, definitely would not want higher, even these are taking some getting used to. BTW I’m 5’-8”

·
Registered
87 Posts
So got the OEM midrise bars, definitely would not want higher, even these are taking some getting used to. BTW I’m 5’-8”
I wasn't happy with the mid-rise bars at first . . . then I installed Rox Risers, which brought the bars back 2", and then I loved them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Extremely excited .

Bike.jpg

Congrats on the new bike! to answer your questions about bars,I recently put the KST +6 bars on my chieftain,I found out that they felt a bit too tall and wide for 5-10 frame,so I bought a set of Trask bro bars,and am very happy with them as they have your hands just above the fairing,whereas the KSTs,and Indian mid risers place them about 2 inches higher above the fairing,also I did not like the upswept bend of the KSTs-had my wrist feeling awkward,and my levers were hard to reach too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts