Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dropped off the Scout today for its 500 mile service. So far I am very impressed. Besides finding a false neutral between 5th and 6th 3 times, I have had no issues. I find the standard controls and seat fit my 5'10" self quite well and although I would enjoy mid controls I do not find them necessary. I love the intake sound when you crank on the right wrist and the stock pipes are fine for now. At this point, it's everything I expected it to be.

I asked my dealer about the production delays and was told the following. The tank supplier builds the tanks then tests under pressure for leaks before shipping to Indian. Once received, the tanks are then sanded and prepped for paint without a followup pressure test. Some welds were sanded too thin and once fuel and vapor were added to the mix the delamination issues were found. I'm happy to know that I have a 5 year warranty as this kind of thing could take some time to show.

A few pics from the first 510 miles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Glad you're enjoying your Scout, they are a blast to ride. Great pictures, thanks. [woot]

Reactions: Cadrien and Fuzzy

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Dropped off the Scout today for its 500 mile service. So far I am very impressed. Besides finding a false neutral between 5th and 6th 3 times, I have had no issues. I find the standard controls and seat fit my 5'10" self quite well and although I would enjoy mid controls I do not find them necessary. I love the intake sound when you crank on the right wrist and the stock pipes are fine for now. At this point, it's everything I expected it to be.

I asked my dealer about the production delays and was told the following. The tank supplier builds the tanks then tests under pressure for leaks before shipping to Indian. Once received, the tanks are then sanded and prepped for paint without a followup pressure test. Some welds were sanded too thin and once fuel and vapor were added to the mix the de lamination issues were found. I'm happy to know that I have a 5 year warranty as this kind of thing could take some time to show.

A few pics from the first 510 miles.
Can you please explain "false neutral between 5 &6", what you experience and what is the fix. I to have had a couple issues while shifting but not sure what's really causing the problem. This happened yesterday at 1030 miles. Only riding a couple years so this is new to me.
Thanks

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you please explain "false neutral between 5 &6", what you experience and what is the fix. I to have had a couple issues while shifting but not sure what's really causing the problem. This happened yesterday at 1030 miles. Only riding a couple years so this is new to me.
Thanks
It really is exactly as it sounds, shifting from 5 to 6 and once from 6 to 5 the bike found no gear and acted like it was in neutral. I really do not think it is an issue. I find that I seem to be less deliberate with these gear changes and think that is the cause.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It really is exactly as it sounds, shifting from 5 to 6 and once from 6 to 5 the bike found no gear and acted like it was in neutral. I really do not think it is an issue. I find that I seem to be less deliberate with these gear changes and think that is the cause.
I've got around 530 miles. I think I took it up to about 6000rpm once. I think I swallowed a few bugs because I was smiling so much. The Scout was pulling so hard, I was just holding on. Have you or any one taken it to redline yet?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've got around 530 miles. I think I took it up to about 6000rpm once. I think I swallowed a few bugs because I was smiling so much. The Scout was pulling so hard, I was just holding on. Have you or any one taken it to redline yet?
I have and it pulls like a train. I was told that there is a 115 electronically controlled speed limiter. Going to test that next...maybe tomorrow

·
Registered
738 Posts
Nice post and pics Cadrien. Picked my Scout up on December 20th but was only able to get 250 FUN miles on it before the snow and salted roads took over. Can't wait to get back on the road. :cool:

·
Registered
361 Posts
asked my dealer about the production delays and was told the following. The tank supplier builds the tanks then tests under pressure for leaks before shipping to Indian. Once received, the tanks are then sanded and prepped for paint without a followup pressure test. Some welds were sanded too thin and once fuel and vapor were added to the mix the delamination issues were found.
Ok, now that makes me a little uncomfortable. In today's lawsuit happy society, one would assume (I know, a very dangerous thing) that if there was truly a chance of the seam weeping/leaking, those of us who have already taken possession of a low serial # Scout would be getting some sort of recall notice to save us from calamity. I would hope that Polaris is smarter than to play the old GM "it's only a couple of ignition switches" game with us.... But I wouldn't bet a rent check on it. Time to call the dealer, I think.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
I have and it pulls like a train. I was told that there is a 115 electronically controlled speed limiter. Going to test that next...maybe tomorrow

Of course I'm jealous, I have only dared to hit the ton on mine so far.
I will probably try for it after I do my 500 mile! :cool:

Ronnie's Daily Wisdom's:
If 4 out of 5 people SUFFER from diarrhea....
does that mean that one actually enjoys it??

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been to 105 with no issues but have not red lined it yet. That sort of fun will wait until after the 500 mile service.

·
Senior member / rider
1,218 Posts
I'm a bit bummed that Polaris farms the tanks out. Seems like Indain and Victory are more assembled than actually "manufactured" by
Polaris. Not sure why that bothers me, but it does.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Took mine in today for 500 mile maintenance. Asked my salesman to order me a drivers backrest. It just so happened they had one in the back! Once again a trip to dealership expecting to spend $0 cost me $300! The good news is I love the way the backrest feels!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've had it past that but it was going down hill. D'oh!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I rode the Scout at 2 different demos. On the second one in Auburn, Wa I nailed full throttle in 1st gear. I managed 60mph at 9000rpm and she nosed over on the hard limiter. I did it 3 more times with the same result. My bro rode one with me and he hit 110 in 3rd with plenty left. The Scouts run very good and only come alive after 6000rpm.

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
I rode the Scout at 2 different demos. On the second one in Auburn, Wa I nailed full throttle in 1st gear. I managed 60mph at 9000rpm and she nosed over on the hard limiter. I did it 3 more times with the same result. My bro rode one with me and he hit 110 in 3rd with plenty left. The Scouts run very good and only come alive after 6000rpm.
Im speechless'. WTF Not your bike aye.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Im speechless'. WTF Not your bike aye.
Thats what a demo is for!! I tested it the way I ride my own bikes. It didnt blow up and thats why I did it. Victorys are the same way. Bulletproof!! My bro bought his Scout after the 2nd demo. I just paid off my Chieftain. Still struggling between a Hammer 8 ball or a Scout. And now they have the new Darkhorse which Im going to see personally at the Kaiser Tiger in Chicago on Friday. I may choose that who knows. Indian rules!!!!

·
Senior member / gold
6,220 Posts
Thats what a demo is for!! I tested it the way I ride my own bikes. It didnt blow up and thats why I did it. Victorys are the same way. Bulletproof!! My bro bought his Scout after the 2nd demo. I just paid off my Chieftain. Still struggling between a Hammer 8 ball or a Scout. And now they have the new Darkhorse which Im going to see personally at the Kaiser Tiger in Chicago on Friday. I may choose that who knows. Indian rules!!!!
We are the Flowers of one garden, the leaves of one tree. We exist together in both unity and diversity. So you thrash and I'll putter.
Alpal

Reactions: LuftWolf
1 - 20 of 20 Posts