Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Captains log March 9 0347: I know there’s been some serious concerns about the Challenger. Online it’s like the news. If it bleeds it leads. Hopefully I’ve got a good one. Purchased in the first week of December. Upgraded intake, tabs w/ 2.5 medium baffles and remapped right from the start. Had the throttle sync checkup done 4 days ago and according them my bike AKA “Da Coal Bandit”, is good. Pray it stays that way. 700 miles no hiccups. Smooth as Tennessee whiskey, sweet as muscadine wine and I race everything. Ill keep updating if I see interest. Hopefully it’s a small batch of bikes with these wacky issues.

·
Rider
523 Posts
I finally got to see a Challenger in person yesterday at Iron Pony (Columbus Ohio). They had 5 of them on display.

I have to say it is was a very impressive machine in person. I was really torn from only seeing photos, the fairing just looked oversized and bulbous to me in all the photos I have seen, especially looking dead on facing the fairing over the front fender. But in person it looks perfectly proportionate, and the "dead on" view noted above just looks downright menacing as it stares you down.

The bike just seams to have a "I'll take your lunch, eat it in front of you, and there is nothing you can do about it" look of attitude.

Throwing a leg over was super comfy and stretched out. I really liked the ergos of this bike. My Chieftain almost felt cramped after sitting on the Challenger.

Your bike looks great and I love the bars and rack you've added.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I finally got to see a Challenger in person yesterday at Iron Pony (Columbus Ohio). They had 5 of them on display.

I have to say it is was a very impressive machine in person. I was really torn from only seeing photos, the fairing just looked oversized and bulbous to me in all the photos I have seen, especially looking dead on facing the fairing over the front fender. But in person it looks perfectly proportionate, and the "dead on" view noted above just looks downright menacing as it stares you down.

The bike just seams to have a "I'll take your lunch, eat it in front of you, and there is nothing you can do about it" look of attitude.

Throwing a leg over was super comfy and stretched out. I really liked the ergos of this bike. My Chieftain almost felt cramped after sitting on the Challenger.

Your bike looks great and I love the bars and rack you've added.

Enjoy!
I agree, for some reason in pics the proportions look way off, and the fairing looks huge. In person it looks great.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,296 Posts
I noticed something similiar with my VTX. The Challenger just made the VTX ride feel terrible!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I
Love the rear luggage rack that you have, sorry but hate the Bars. For the life of me, don't understand the reasoning for such bars.
I tried to to live with the stock bars. It feels like my hands are by my knees, I also tried raising the stock bars up. With apes I can ride for days in total comfort and control. Good reasoning is one “America!!” Another is everyone is built different. I used to feel the same way before trying it originally on my Chieftain.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
Man, that bike is gorgeous!! Keep us posted on how those apehangers work on your bike for long day rides. I’ve always thought they look badass but I’m such a comfort freak on those all-day rides I’ve avoided ‘em. Good to hear from somebody who has enjoyed them.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update. 970 miles randomly going back and forth between modes. Still smooth. I’ll keep this up till I hit 2000 miles. From what I’ve read, the issues start popping up between 500 to 1000 miles. Tbh, I put money down before I even saw it in person, knowing first run new models of anything could have issues. I know today’s tech culture uses its customers as test dummy’s. They do it with apps, cell phones to cars. Indian will get it right.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man, that bike is gorgeous!! Keep us posted on how those apehangers work on your bike for long day rides. I’ve always thought they look badass but I’m such a comfort freak on those all-day rides I’ve avoided ‘em

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ve learned that not all bars are created equal. The KST bars have a little pull back to them, so my seating position is really neutral. I’m not slouching, have good bend at the elbow and I’m not reaching forward anymore. My hands land just below shoulder level. They just look extreme. I’m 6ft tall if that helps.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I tried to to live with the stock bars. It feels like my hands are by my knees, I also tried raising the stock bars up. With apes I can ride for days in total comfort and control. Good reasoning is one “America!!” Another is everyone is built different. I used to feel the same way before trying it originally on my Chieftain.
Same here, stock bars weren’t doing it for me, bought the KST’s and i’m never going back! Lol

·
Registered
469 Posts
Love the rear luggage rack that you have, sorry but hate the Bars. For the life of me, don't understand the reasoning for such bars.
Man, that bike is gorgeous!! Keep us posted on how those apehangers work on your bike for long day rides. I’ve always thought they look badass but I’m such a comfort freak on those all-day rides I’ve avoided ‘em. Good to hear from somebody who has enjoyed them.
Apes are far more comfortable than stock bars. I ride long distance and have no shoulder pain. I hate stock bars and having my hands by my waist. It's much easier to maneuver in parking lots and tight spaces also. Bars at shoulder height are just perfect. Give them a try and see for yourself.

·
Administrator
15,985 Posts
We had a guy on a Chieftain with apes when our local IMRG took the Ride Like a Pro class. We had 30-35 people in our class and this guy was one of the absolute best. A bunch of us were floored on how good he could maneuver on those tight turns and cones. I always thought that it would shift his center of gravity or muck up his balance. He proved me way wrong.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts