Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading many of the Indian reviews, I was indeed skeptical about the mixed reviews. I ordered a Chieftan on 6 September and have been like a kid on Christmas Eve waiting for one to arrive. I had expected to ride one at Sturgis, but unfortunately had to cancel my trip. After months of waiting, a 'Showroom' bike arrived at my dealership in October. BUT IT COULDN'T BE RIDDEN. At this point, my frustration was peaked!. I finally had a chance to ride a Chieftan in Pompano, Florida while I was visiting my best friend. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED!!! The Chieftan is everything I expected and nothing I feared. It is an absolute BEAST and handles like a dream: cornering, accelerating, good RPMs at high speeds, braking, maneuvering, and visibility were all perfect (hold on tight when you give it full throttle, or the bike may leave you in the dust). If I had to make any negative comment, it would be the hard seat, but I expect that will soften over time, and the valve cover. The Chieftan is chromed everywhere, but they installed, what appears to be, a cast valve cover. So, while it is chrome color, it looks 'cheap' as compared to everything else.
A week later I am back in Arizona and MY CHIEFTAN HAS JUST ARRIVED. I go down to pick it up this Saturday, November 2nd, and am totally stoked. An added bonus is that it was one of the first 1901 produced, so it is 'badged' number 1400 on the right side (the first 1901 bikes released are numbered 1-1901). Awesome. I'll get to test everything on my 135 mile ride home, so I'll update this post accordingly.
I would like to add that many posts I've read compare the Indian to other motorcycles. After having owned dozens of different bikes, this is my opinion: The best riding bike on the street is the Victory Vision, but I just can't get past the 'Flash Gordon' look; the next best bike is the Goldwing, but the center of gravity is too high for me and, call me old school, but it just doesn't sound like a scooter; the 3rd best bike is the Victory Cross Country (I own two of them). It has a ton of power, handles well, and after lowered, has a decent center of gravity; and the 4th is the Chieftan. I really can't give it a higher rating yet, because all I've had is the demo ride. After I have a few miles under my belt, then I can reassess how it rates as compared to the other bikes I've ridden. However, it's important to point out that a comparison of the 4 bikes I've mentioned may not be totally valid, because I think they are all TOP in their class. Riding the Chieftan was an awesome experience, but it does ride a lot different from my Cross Countries...not in a bad way...in a different way. Having both bikes will make my riding experience well rounded and complete.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice first thoughts on the bike. Love the Flagstaff area and your close to warm so it probably wont be long til we hear your detailed review. Have Fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A vision, 2 cross countrys and a chieftian? You my friend are one lucky man. I would love to see some pictures.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
10476 said:
A vision, 2 cross countrys and a chieftian? You my friend are one lucky man. I would love to see some pictures.
Don't actually own a Vision. Have ridden Visions owned by friends. Would have bought one when I bought my first Cross Country, but couldn't get past the 'Flash Gordon' look. I will post some pics of my Cross Countrys....'one lucky man?' Hey, someone has to keep the economy going...debt is the American way! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trying to upload photos. Doesn't seem to work. I get a green checkmark, but no button to complete upload. Ideass?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Heading to Sturgis...Rented an Ultra Classic for my best friend.
Chieftan Just Arrived. #1400 of 1901
My first Victory. Ness Jackpot. Awesome bike....
Sturgis...Hill City, SD
On our way to Golden Aspen Ride, Ruidoso, NM
Me and my best friend...thim time, we have a Victory for him.
Cloudcroft, NM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts