Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a willow green scout for all of 4 months and LOVE that thing - I'm am its first... and last owner.

But after having taken a few long trip with it (275 to 300 mile days with 600 to 900 trip totals) I realize that a bigger bike with things like cruise control, better ergonomics, and more features would make those kind of trips better. And as a bonus the girlfriend might consent to tagging along.

So when I had to take a two day trip from Boston to NJ I rented a brand new Indian Chieftain Classic.

Some observations:
- really makes me appreciate how small and flickable the scout is
- the Chief handled so well but you cant cover up that much heft
- I had a harder time reaching the street when stopping and the smooth roll downs were replaced by a more lurching stop
- the windscreen helped a lot, but buffeted the top of my head all the way up and didnt get me all the way out of the wind.
- It was HOT a hot day for sure, but still the 111 makes some heat even when it switched to 1
- Hot too was keeping the windscreen up as not much air flowed through my full face. so I lowered it a lot
- I put V&H 3"slashcuts on the scout and hear every rumble, the Chief was so quiet, and I only heard the growl when getting on the throttle to pass
- I love the gadgets, but almost swerved into the other lane twice trying to figure out how to get the damn thing to play an artist or album, not just one song. I never thought I'd be the person blaring their music on a bike, But I LOVED IT! it sounded so good
- BIG dissapointment was the seat still killed my ass. rode 275 miles today with one gas stop but lots of traffic so over 5 hours in the saddle.

Am I going to get one? I'll see what 2020 brings, but I think so. I really want to add a *big* bike to the stable. Funny when you think that a 1100cc bike isn't "big", but hey its only money.

·
Rider
677 Posts
FF3F24EE-9C40-40FE-98C6-D84EE88F67A0.jpeg
I have a 2018 Chieftain Classic and do 600-900 miles a day on long trips (Texas is big). So I sent my seat to Mean City Cycles to be reshaped and stuffed - huge difference! Also on long trips I add a sheep skin cover- major improvement on heat and if cold as well as comfort!

Reactions: .3578

·
Rider
1,382 Posts
Yep depending on you size the stock seat on the big cruisers is like getting spanked with a wet boat paddle on the bum and boys. I had to buy an Ultimate Tall Boy Seat to get comfy. Rode just under two hundred miles today and it was like a sofa and no saddle soreness.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I also took my seat to Mean City Cycles to have them add the double decker memory foam to my Springfield..... Did this at around 11K miles..... I can tell you that it takes about 1K miles for the seat to really break in but yes it was worth the money..... They know what they're doing and created a custom comfortable seat that looks factory... I often ride 6-8 hours on day trips and just got back from a 1200 mile Daytona trip on top of a 4800 mile trip to Custer SD... Seat performed well.....-JR

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
I have a 18 Chieftain and in a 19 day period covered 7700 miles. Some days covering as much as 900 miles. I run the stock seat which for me is great up to 4 tanks running hard. It’s the 5th tank that I start to feel a little discomfort. I don’t run but a couple of them 900 mile days a season so I’m great with mine. My point is everyone’s ass is different. What works for someone else won’t necessarily work for you . Good luck finding a seat that works for you in the past I’ve tried Corbin‘s and ultimates neither works for me. But others sware by them which is my point. Good luck with your search it can be frustrating finding the right one.

·
Registered
5,917 Posts
I have a 18 Chieftain and in a 19 day period covered 7700 miles. Some days covering as much as 900 miles. I run the stock seat which for me is great up to 4 tanks running hard. It’s the 5th tank that I start to feel a little discomfort. I don’t run but a couple of them 900 mile days a season so I’m great with mine. My point is everyone’s ass is different. What works for someone else won’t necessarily work for you . Good luck finding a seat that works for you in the past I’ve tried Corbin‘s and ultimates neither works for me. But others sware by them which is my point. Good luck with your search it can be frustrating finding the right one.
Exactly right... Each body is unique. I own two Mean City modded seats. Neither one has proven a complete 100% solution for me. However, they are a distinct improvement. I went back with a stock RoadMaster seat the last long run and, that was definitely much harder on my body after 100 miles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know its just so much fun to ride that I almost dont mind. Once I decide which way to go for my new ride I will probably upgrade the seat though!

·
Bronze member
2,126 Posts
@dieselgman lmao I’ll tell ya that RM seat hits me the same way. 1 of My brothers has one 100 miles and my ass is on fire. Corbins do the me the same exact way. I tried corbins twice on my Harleys sold both.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Scout and put a mustang seat on which was an improvement , but the vibration issue was from no wheel weights on my rims. They fell off on the show room floor.. lol no one checked , not even me. But the trips were miserable.my husband bout a chieftain and same thing . P, until had wheels balanced again now all is well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Some say it’s a hassle to have the wheels balanced . But it’s more of a hassle to not being able to enjoy your 15,000 - 40,000 ride
And with this kind of money what’s the trouble, if any at all to have it riding smooth.

·
Rider
666 Posts
I must be an exception because I ride alot with the stock seat and only had a sore butt a few times. The most I've ridden in a 24 period was ~1100+ miles. There were 2 days in a row this summer I rode from 5am to 10:30pm (and I mean ride...only stopping for gas and to grab a snickers or slice of pizza).
When I get on a straight roadway, I just push my ass back to sit alittle higher and to change my position...works for me.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
well lucky you didn't rent a RM. you might of fallen asleep riding on a couch with 2 wheels.
a big tip for riding more than 150 miles. put your wallet in tour pack or in vest. As a former high mileage rider i have narrowed it down to lots of things to do . my longest ride day 1 was 910 miles got up next day did 852. every stop for gas walked a few minutes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I purchased a 2018 Scout and put a mustang seat on which was an improvement , but the vibration issue was from no wheel weights on my rims. They fell off on the show room floor.. lol no one checked , not even me. But the trips were miserable.my husband bout a chieftain and same thing . P, until had wheels balanced again now all is well.
I have been using balancing beads instead of weights and will never do anything different. Stays constantly balanced through the life of the tire as it wears.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts