Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Check out La Honda in California if you're going on Highway 1 if you're in need of some serious twisties. It's full of motorcycle riders and car enthusiats throughout the year. I guarantee you'll see some very pricey and rare bikes/cars as you hang about. We usually hang about the Skywood Trading Post, and I highly recommend eating at Alice's or staying at Applejack's Inn. I'd also like to add that California drivers are very fast around the corners, regardless of what they're driving, and even faster on the straights, so be careful.
timely suggestion. Google is showing they just had a road closure of hwy1 in that area. and if it doesn't open up by the time i get there, i'll definitely be taking this detour by default. but even if the road is open, i may take it anyway since it doesn't seem to be too long to do and might be a good change of pace after a few hours of looking at the ocean.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Looks like a great trip!! The only thing I might do differently is blow off the Nevada desert and come out of St. George making your way to Three Rivers, CA (waypoint 2 on the map) then ride up the Sierras, Sequoias, Yosemite, Tahoe, etc, then over to the coast and down. It may add some time to the trip though. At any rate, enjoy and stay safe!

i'm actually really looking forward to a lot of those wide open desert roads.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Be safe. Have fun. Please come back and let us all know how the trip went for you. I'm always interested in learning about new places to ride to. Even on routes that I've already done. You may find something that I missed - and I'll have to take that trip again.

Thanks!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
some great news for me. and i guess the people in northern California. a huge section of hwy36 that i was hoping to take that had been closed due to the fires for the past couple weeks are now back open. as of right now, i don't see a single road closure along my route.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
this doesn't look good.

Home | US Forest Service (usda.gov)

2021 Humboldt-Toiyabe Initial Attack Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System (nwcg.gov)

so the maps below is kind of where i was planning on going though northern California where this would most affect me. i don't know which of these forests i'm going though are national or something else or what the conditions are gonna be day by day. i've pretty much just been going by google maps which shows which roads are closed. as of yesterday, all my roads were open so i don't know how this closure is going to affect that. do any of you recommend a better site to check which gives daily updates on which roads are open/closed?

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
this is my actual planned route. a couple weeks ago, Google indicated a lot of this route was closed off. when a road is closed, it doesn't even let you plan a route on it. as you can see, it is currently open. i'm just not sure how much to trust this or if it's going to change in a week when i'm actually there.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Looks like an amazing ride. Be safe and hope it turns out to be better that you expect.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I think yesterday was more like 650
Today was about 550 miles but still about 10 hours in the saddle because of a lot of slow miles near the end involving creeping up and down mountain passes at slow speeds because of the constant hairpin turns which made today the toughest yet. Baked in death valley most of the afternoon that got up to 106 degrees.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
410 Posts
Truely, sure hope the smoke doesn't ruin your trip.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Day 5 tally - 2620 miles.
Shortest miles so far because Hwy 1 becomes an endless series of hairpin twists and turns for hundreds of miles up and down mountains between San Francisco and Redwoods state park. Unreal. Sky had smoke for most of the day. Hasn't ruined anything for me yet besides the golden gate Bridge shot which i found amusing. Yesterday was mostly clear for me so i got in some great views.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Awesome pics, can't wait to visit the sequoia. So impressive. Tuff break on the bridge and smoke. Glad it isn't putting a major damper on your ride. My riding buddies a week away from riding up to the Dakotas for a out 10 days. I was supposed to go. Other issues have gotten in the way.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Day 6 - 3000+ miles
Hwy 36 and 89
I'll respond to individual posts when im done and provide more stories and info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Way to go. Looks like it's been great riding and the pictures are terrific. Gonna have to load up the Springfield for a long trip next year. Won't have much luck convincing the wife to go along, (too limited on shoe space I'm told) so will plan a trip of places and things that ONLY interests me. Live on the coast of Washington, so mine will take me east towards the beauty of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts