Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
At 60 years old a fella might ask himself.....Is it too late to dream?

Back in September of 2013 The First Lady and I set a dream in motion.
Our dream of retiring to The Texas Hill Country.
We bought a little ranch in Ingram Texas, in the heart of The Hill Country.

The only "fly in the ointment" was that I'm still several years away from really wanting to retire.
I love what I do, and it is a damn good thing, because I have been doing it for the past 32 years.
So The First Lady moved to Ingram to get the new place dialed in and I stayed behind in New Orleans to continue my career...that was a tough one.

In March of 2014 I bought my Indian.
Like you, I fell in love when I saw the Indian for the first time.
But to buy a new bike when everything else in my life was geared toward retirement?
The First Lady in Texas, me in New Orleans, and I'm foolish enough to buy a new bike?
To take on 5 years of payments?
After all, my daily commute here in New Orleans is only about 15 miles, round trip.

I reconciled my crazy actions with a plan to ride my Indian back and forth to The Hill Country on my time off.
That plan has worked well for me. I have enjoyed every mile of that 700 mile turn, there and back.
So after 11 months of ownership I have managed to put 10,000 miles on my Indian.
Not bad for a guy who is still working full time!

The single "perk" that pushed me off the fence when I was considering Indian was the unlimited mileage 5 year warranty.

But remember....I'm going to use this bike for daily transportation in a personal routine that included a 15 mile per day commute to and from work....crazy to worry about something like unlimited mileage...huh? Even with the occasional trip to Texas thrown in....the whole thing didn't make sense if I was thinking with my head and not leading with my heart.

New Years is the time to make resolutions and on New Years day 2015 I made the resolution that this would be the year that I came home to The First Lady and to The Texas Hill Country.

With 32 years in my business it would be fair to assume that I have made some contacts...right? There might even be a few with Texas connections that I haven't managed to piss off. One phone call later and I had a job in Texas.

Now, if you ain't from Texas.....maybe you have at least drove through Texas?
The wide open sprawl is difficult to describe.
Just imagine that it is over 60 miles just to get across Houston.
Don't even get me started telling you about driving across the Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex.
Why, it's well over 900 miles from Beaumont to El Paso.
I'm not bragging, just trying to put things in perspective on distance.

Distance.
My new boss ( a Yankee) asked me how far my home was from the job site.
My reply?
Only 88 miles.
That's 88 miles of wide open Texas highways with a 75 miles per hour speed limit.
And oh yeah, I have a brand new Indian....with an unlimited mileage warranty.
He just smiled.

Boys, this morning I busted out my dull crayon to do a little math on the kitchen wall.
At this rate, at the end of my 5 year warranty coverage, I have the potential to rack up 177,408 miles.
That's just commuting.
Can you imagine the warm and fuzzy that I'm feeling right now?
Just knowing that Indian will "have my back" for the whole experience?

Can I do it?
I realize that there will be "snow days" involved here.
I also realize that there will be a lot of riding over and above my daily commute.
So....realistically?
I'm probably looking at more like 200,000 miles before my warranty plays out.
Can my Indian do it?
I guess we are going to find out.

So why am I burdening y'all with all of this?
Today is the day that I'm loading all my belongings in my VW Bus.
Sometime this week I will drop off the internet when my cable is disconnected.
Next Friday, Jan. 30th will be my last day in New Orleans.

I'm trying to motivate myself to get to work packing and toting.
I'm drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes.
I'm realizing that My American Dream is finally coming true.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Congratulations and best of luck with your new chapter in life. Keep us posted on how your bike and warranty perform.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Congratulations Big Daddy, and keep on dreaming the way I see it when a man quits dreaming it's time to give it up.
That hill country is nice, and sure the heck beats New Orleans;)

·
Senior member / rider
509 Posts
At 60 years old a fella might ask himself.....Is it too late to dream?

Back in September of 2013 The First Lady and I set a dream in motion.
Our dream of retiring to The Texas Hill Country.
We bought a little ranch in Ingram Texas, in the heart of The Hill Country.

The only "fly in the ointment" was that I'm still several years away from really wanting to retire.
I love what I do, and it is a damn good thing, because I have been doing it for the past 32 years.
So The First Lady moved to Ingram to get the new place dialed in and I stayed behind in New Orleans to continue my career...that was a tough one.

In March of 2014 I bought my Indian.
Like you, I fell in love when I saw the Indian for the first time.
But to buy a new bike when everything else in my life was geared toward retirement?
The First Lady in Texas, me in New Orleans, and I'm foolish enough to buy a new bike?
To take on 5 years of payments?
After all, my daily commute here in New Orleans is only about 15 miles, round trip.

I reconciled my crazy actions with a plan to ride my Indian back and forth to The Hill Country on my time off.
That plan has worked well for me. I have enjoyed every mile of that 700 mile turn, there and back.
So after 11 months of ownership I have managed to put 10,000 miles on my Indian.
Not bad for a guy who is still working full time!

The single "perk" that pushed me off the fence when I was considering Indian was the unlimited mileage 5 year warranty.

But remember....I'm going to use this bike for daily transportation in a personal routine that included a 15 mile per day commute to and from work....crazy to worry about something like unlimited mileage...huh? Even with the occasional trip to Texas thrown in....the whole thing didn't make sense if I was thinking with my head and not leading with my heart.

New Years is the time to make resolutions and on New Years day 2015 I made the resolution that this would be the year that I came home to The First Lady and to The Texas Hill Country.

With 32 years in my business it would be fair to assume that I have made some contacts...right? There might even be a few with Texas connections that I haven't managed to piss off. One phone call later and I had a job in Texas.

Now, if you ain't from Texas.....maybe you have at least drove through Texas?
The wide open sprawl is difficult to describe.
Just imagine that it is over 60 miles just to get across Houston.
Don't even get me started telling you about driving across the Dallas Ft. Worth Metroplex.
Why, it's well over 900 miles from Beaumont to El Paso.
I'm not bragging, just trying to put things in perspective on distance.

Distance.
My new boss ( a Yankee) asked me how far my home was from the job site.
My reply?
Only 88 miles.
That's 88 miles of wide open Texas highways with a 75 miles per hour speed limit.
And oh yeah, I have a brand new Indian....with an unlimited mileage warranty.
He just smiled.

Boys, this morning I busted out my dull crayon to do a little math on the kitchen wall.
At this rate, at the end of my 5 year warranty coverage, I have the potential to rack up 177,408 miles.
That's just commuting.
Can you imagine the warm and fuzzy that I'm feeling right now?
Just knowing that Indian will "have my back" for the whole experience?

Can I do it?
I realize that there will be "snow days" involved here.
I also realize that there will be a lot of riding over and above my daily commute.
So....realistically?
I'm probably looking at more like 200,000 miles before my warranty plays out.
Can my Indian do it?
I guess we are going to find out.

So why am I burdening y'all with all of this?
Today is the day that I'm loading all my belongings in my VW Bus.
Sometime this week I will drop off the internet when my cable is disconnected.
Next Friday, Jan. 30th will be my last day in New Orleans.

I'm trying to motivate myself to get to work packing and toting.
I'm drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes.
I'm realizing that My American Dream is finally coming true.
Appears...... LIFE IS GOOD.... for Big Daddy

·
Registered
765 Posts
BD, you got me thinking that I need to do some bike commuting myself.

Congratulations on seeing your dream coming to fruition. Also, your going to be the guy testing the Indian's real life durability for all us!

·
Registered
236 Posts
At least you won't have to worry about the levees busting anymore.
Hey, what year is the VW bus? My best friend has one (1986 I think), and the older ones are worth big money.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats Big Daddy, will you be joining us this year at the Fredricksberg rally?
Yes. I'll be there.
Leaving New Orleans is bittersweet, believe me.
All year long I look forward to Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest.

After several years of volunteering at Jazz Fest I finally landed a staff position a couple of years ago with New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Foundation.
Getting paid to go to Jazz Fest?
Gawd, that is a hard one to walk away from!

I was going to have to pass on this Hill Country Indian Rally as it conflicted with my Jazz Fest schedule....well, not anymore.
Yep, I'll be there with bells on.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At least you won't have to worry about the levees busting anymore.
Hey, what year is the VW bus? My best friend has one (1986 I think), and the older ones are worth big money.
Buszilla-

A 1970, complete with McGovern for President bumper stickers.
A retro throwback that I've had longer than my kids. lol

·
Founding Member
679 Posts
Good luck with new job. You're 5 years ahead of me, I'm 55 and hope to work until at least 65. Hill country of Texas wasn't even on my radar till recently, Ohio winters starting to kick my ass. Maybe the wife and I should look closer at Texas, she'd fit right in I think, being from Colorado. Look forward to reading your posts down the road.

·
Texas Hill Country
4,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck with new job. You're 5 years ahead of me, I'm 55 and hope to work until at least 65. Hill country of Texas wasn't even on my radar till recently, Ohio winters starting to kick my ass. Maybe the wife and I should look closer at Texas, she'd fit right in I think, being from Colorado. Look forward to reading your posts down the road.
No state income tax and a pretty low cost of living...you could do a lot worse than Texas for a retirement spot.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Buszilla-

A 1970, complete with McGovern for President bumper stickers.
A retro throwback that I've had longer than my kids. lol
There is a antique auto museum up here called Larz Anderson Auto Museum, and every spring, summer, fall, they have lawn events on Sunday. At "VW Transporter Day", the place was filled. Here is an interesting custom.
20141012_100502_resized.jpg

·
Founding Member
679 Posts
Btw, was in and out of Texas in my younger years, worked in oil and gas exploration-mothership was Texas Instruments. Corporate was in Dallas, had a big support shop in Midland. In spring of 1982 worked in Freer, Tx on a job for Standard Oil on land owned by the King Ranch. It was like a zoo out there, gators, bobcats, javalinas, wild turkey, and the biggest snakes I've ever seen. Texas was a real eye opener for a farm kid from Ohio. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Like to hear of other folks achieving their dreams! - Dan

·
Registered
738 Posts
Congratulations Big Daddy! Best of luck on the move and new job! I've only been to the Texas Hill Country once but I freakin' loved it. Hope to get out again, sooner rather than later! :cool::cool:

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Way to go Big Daddy! Follow your heart and soothe that soul! All the best with the move and one step closer to retirement!
Ride safe

·
Registered
638 Posts
Sounds like you have been blessed to live your dream. This is no mistake as they say. You shall become our official Indian mileage champion and can report on all of the Indian ups and downs getting to 200,000 on the odometer. That makes us lucky too. Keep on riding safe in the Texas breeze.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts