Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Founding Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tonto turned 70 today and here's my review of 2014 Chieftain #2138. After riding motorcycles(mostly cruisers) for 43 years I have to say "This may be the finest motorcycle I've ever owned." Yes the Hondas were smoother and more refined but in the end "Boring". The Harleys had such wonderful character(and torque)with all that sound and feel(I still have one)but reliability was always an issue. The Indian is a complete package(it fits me perfectly 5’9” 185lbs 32” inseem). The only time it left me on the side on the road was at 63K and a failed fuel pump. The other minor issues, the warranty(and my local dealer) handled flawlessly. I ride everything out there just to see if there is a better ride, and I always come back and say "This is the one!"
IMG_1581.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I hope I have the same results with my 14. The only thing bugging me is every week or so the clock stops an I have to reset. New battery and tight clean cables etc. I mention it to the dealer for Warrantee and he says there is no way to Warrantee it even though it has 5 year Warrantee for another month! O just ignores me on this one. I have only had a front bearing go in 40000

·
Bronze member
1,071 Posts
@Avanti Why do you accept your dealer's nonchalant dismissal of your complaint. After your warranty runs out then this correction comes out of your pocket. As someone who took the plunge when Indian was new, you deserve to get your problem corrected. *(Sorry if that came out as a rant).

@dalethemale Congrats on 70K! I appreciate your opinion of the Chieftain especially knowing you've ridden so many other. How long do you plan to keep her? Keep up the safe riding.

·
Founding Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Avanti Why do you accept your dealer's nonchalant dismissal of your complaint. After your warranty runs out then this correction comes out of your pocket. As someone who took the plunge when Indian was new, you deserve to get your problem corrected. *(Sorry if that came out as a rant).

@dalethemale Congrats on 70K! I appreciate your opinion of the Chieftain especially knowing you've ridden so many other. How long do you plan to keep her? Keep up the safe riding.
The warranty expires in December(I got the last of the 5 year bikes). By then the Challenger will be out and that is my top choice for a new bike(there are others).

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sheesh. 70K miles eh? I only have 37K KM on my 2014....long way to go. So I am looking to a few more years of riding it :)
Congratulations.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
getting your money worth is such a great plus. one of my bikes i traded i had 98k on it. got my money back i paid for ext warranty for repairs after the factory ran out along with the tire/wheel got plenty of them.

·
Bronze member
1,191 Posts
A couple of questions?

Looks like you get good gas mileage average is 47.5 how do you do that?
How many miles can you go between fill ups?

·
Rider
935 Posts
Great job Dale, keep racking up the miles! Ride safe brother! =)

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
3,209 Posts
with my rm i get 36.2 i guess extra weight is slowing me down. lol
same with my limited... my buddy always bragged about his Chieftain getting 45... it just doesn't do it when we ride together...

·
Administrator
13,848 Posts
Hope to turn 80k on my trip to Arkansas next week (but mine is a 2015). I concur with your sentiments / eval.

My best bike in a long list of bikes. Hop on these things and ride !!

@Larry S with 288k has the greatest reported mileage that I’ve heard of. @enzo5000 s/b at or past 125k.

Guys like these make us all look like slackers!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I enjoy seeing bikes with some miles on them on here. It always makes me feel even better about my choice to switch to an Indian. I usually keep mine about 4 to 5 yrs which puts me between 75 to 100g pending on our riding season. I’ve run several over 100g 2 Harley Evos and 1 twin cam which was non stop heavy maintenance. Evos Harleys best. But I do notice anyone here laying down some descent miles has minimal issues and that’s what will keep riders coming this way.

·
Founding Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
A couple of questions?

Looks like you get good gas mileage average is 47.5 how do you do that?
How many miles can you go between fill ups?
I have the Indian stage 1 air cleaner and pipes(that's it). Most of my travels are on backroads(with posted speeds at 55-65mph)and that is where I get the best mileage, At interstate speeds(75-80) my mileage drops(38-40). I think the computer readout is a little generous as when I do the real world math my average on a road trip is 42-45. I get over 200 miles out of a tank of gas on a regular basis.
P.S. My last ride from Pinetop to Tucson(via Salt River canyon)217 miles on one tank at 49MPG(on a calculator not the bike computer).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts