Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm riding along with my phone in fairing compartment and all of a sudden the door pops open. Upon stopping at a light, I see that the little plastic latch is broken (half missing). Any ideas on how to repair this or can I take to the dealer as a warranty claim? Bike was purchased in February this year.
Thank you for any input.
Architecture Automotive exterior Glass Metal
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,551 Posts
Should be covered under warranty. However, if it's not, you need to replace the latch. You can't repair little plastic things when they break off. I've tried all types of glue and even drilled a hole on both sides to install a small piece of metal like a dowl. None held like the original did.

However, it would also work to remove the latch completely and use either magnets or velcro to hold the door down. Doing so would make it harder to open the door though.

Reactions: Klyde1

·
Registered
5,920 Posts
There are a few such under-designed plastic parts that break easily on these bikes. I hope they gradually fix them with better designs. I am not a fan of plastic crap, but it is almost impossible to get away from it these days!

·
Silver member
5,294 Posts
If they don't warranty it you can purchase the latch at partshark for $16.12.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1 for the title of this lol
I've been using some variation of the joke since I bought my bike. Like when I got the free IMRG hat, I told people I bought a $29,000 cap and got a free motorcycle. I'm not the comedian type so when I get a laugh from people, I gotta roll with it.:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Mine broke also...

Rode around for a week with blue painters tape on the dash to hold the door down.

Bought a new one for around $18.00 (cheapest thing I ever bought for my bike)

Popped the old broken one out with a pair of needle nose pliers and the new one slid right in.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
5,551 Posts
If this happens a lot, I wonder if it would be easy to replace the spring loaded plastic catch latch with the magnetic type.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine broke too while in the middle of a 3000 mile trip. It apparently is a known issue. I went to my dealer and the parts guy had it fixed in about 5 minutes. He had a little bag of latches and a tool. Totally free....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts