Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2022 Chief Dark Horse, 2017 Chieftain Limited
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started a few weeks ago when I picked her up at Cosmo's Indian in Trevose PA after a long, long 2 month pre-order wait.

So far I have removed all reflectors, inverted the mirrors, installed an alarm (you'd think for the $$$ it would come with an active alarm and not the passive ride away) and today, installed mini-bullet front turn signals from Custom Dynamics. I have a 2-1 on order from fab28 industries but I understand that can take 6 weeks or longer to fab. We will see! Some future mods include an ordered a/c (Indian stage II), a fat bob tail light kit - goes under the lip of the rear fender and takes care of the Stop/Turn/Run on the rear. I've got the light but have to figure out the wiring conversion from Harley to Indian and to see if I need any Canbus Adapters like I did for the front turn signals.

Here is a quick Photoshop of how I eventually envision the bike, some dimensions are wacked but just to give me an idea of where to go...

That's it so far! Really enjoy riding the bike as is and have 258 miles on it as of today. It is so much quicker than my 2017 Chieftain Ltd "La Loba". Different bikes though. The Dark Horse is for the short quick rides and the Chieftain is for the extended cruises. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Started a few weeks ago when I picked her up at Cosmo's Indian in Trevose PA after a long, long 2 month pre-order wait.
View attachment 634554
So far I have removed all reflectors, inverted the mirrors and today, installed mini-bullet front turn signals from Custom Dynamics. I have a 2-1 on order from fab28 industries but I understand that can take 6 weeks or longer to fab. We will see! Some future mods include an ordered a/c (Indian stage II), a fat bob tail light kit - goes under the lip of the rear fender and takes care of the Stop/Turn/Run on the rear. I've got the light but have to figure out the wiring conversion from Harley to Indian and to see if I need any Canbus Adapters like I did for the front turn signals.
View attachment 634555

View attachment 634556

View attachment 634557

View attachment 634558

Here is a quick Photoshop of how I eventually envision the bike, some dimensions are wacked but just to give me an idea of where to go...
View attachment 634559

That's it so far! Really enjoy riding the bike as is and have 258 miles on it as of today. It is so much quicker than my 2017 Chieftain Ltd "La Loba". Different bikes though. The Dark Horse is for the short quick rides and the Chieftain is for the extended cruises. Stay tuned!
Keep up the mods. future plan bike looks cool. What is the rear shock set up like on very rough roads ?

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep up the mods. future plan bike looks cool. What is the rear shock set up like on very rough roads ?
Thanks Muz! It will bottom out with my 200lbs on rough roads. Haven't played around with stock settings yet, but did come with spanner wrenches to adjust shock springs....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great job so far, do plan to make any changes to the bars? I picked up my 2022 Dark Horse today and am not loving the bar position. I absolutely love everything else about the bike though.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great job so far, do plan to make any changes to the bars? I picked up my 2022 Dark Horse today and am not loving the bar position. I absolutely love everything else about the bike though.
I like the stock bars! They are probably the best fit for me. I have aftermarket bars (mid-rise) on my Chieftain and am planning on going back to the stock bars - my hands and arms go to sleep with the angle on a ride of any length. I would prefer a smaller bar riser and flatter bars (more horizontal) on the Chief.

Reactions: Tacolover

·
Registered
655 Posts
Think they do a reduced reach dragbar style similar to the stock one.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got out early this morning (6:30am) to try out new mirrors and seat pad. Gotta say, both were good purchases. Love, love, love the am rides when nobody is on the roads!

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Added a Stebel Nautilus air horn, much louder! Did have to run the relay but comes with the horn, all for $29.00 from amazon.
Hear it here

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally received my 2 - 1 Fab28Industries pipe...I like the look, sound and performance. Much better than the two oversized cans and cat Indian provided. Must have taken off 35-40 lbs removing the stock setup. The new pipe does give off some heat so have added some small heat shields in addition to the one heel heat shield sent with Fab28 pipe. Now to get it tuned....hoping to buy an additional license through Fuelmoto for my tuner, they currently do not offer any tunes for the 2022 Indian Chief. That should change soon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The FAB28 looks good in black - did it come like that or did you paint it ? When you say "my tuner", do you have one or are you waiting on the tuner as well as the tune ? A set of LA choppers 2 inch riser extensions and that would be one tidy lookin' Chief .

·
Bronze member
2,238 Posts
Finally received my 2 - 1 Fab28Industries pipe...I like the look, sound and performance. Much better than the two oversized cans and cat Indian provided. Must have taken off 35-40 lbs removing the stock setup. The new pipe does give off some heat so have added some small heat shields in addition to the one heel heat shield sent with Fab28 pipe. Now to get it tuned....hoping to buy an additional license through Fuelmoto for my tuner, they currently do not offer any tunes for the 2022 Indian Chief. That should change soon.

View attachment 644053

View attachment 644054
So, how do you like the sound? Also, any luck with DJ on updated PV3? I like the looks of that pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 634554
So far I have removed all reflectors, inverted the mirrors, installed an alarm (you'd think for the $$$ it would come with an active alarm and not the passive ride away) and today, installed mini-bullet front turn signals from Custom Dynamics. I have a 2-1 on order from fab28 industries but I understand that can take 6 weeks or longer to fab. We will see! Some future mods include an ordered a/c (Indian stage II), a fat bob tail light kit - goes under the lip of the rear fender and takes care of the Stop/Turn/Run on the rear. I've got the light but have to figure out the wiring conversion from Harley to Indian and to see if I need any Canbus Adapters like I did for the front turn signals.
View attachment 634555

View attachment 634556

View attachment 634557

View attachment 634558

View attachment 634559

Very Cool, where did you get the mounting brackets for inverting the mirrors or did you make them yourself?

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Very Cool, where did you get the mounting brackets for inverting the mirrors or did you make them yourself?
I got them off facebook from Matt Hutchins , message him and he will contact you when his next batch is ready for sale.
Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle Automotive design Motorcycle

Reactions: Kokopelli

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The FAB28 looks good in black - did it come like that or did you paint it ? When you say "my tuner", do you have one or are you waiting on the tuner as well as the tune ? A set of LA choppers 2 inch riser extensions and that would be one tidy lookin' Chief .
Lout, it came black ceramic, as is, not sure if he is offering it anymore or if its a custom order. I have a PV3 tuner from Fuel Moto. After purchasing an additional license (I bought it for my 2017 Chieftain Ltd.) and much back and forth with Fuel Moto, they came back with a "sorry, doesn't work with 2022 Chief" They are working on it though.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, how do you like the sound? Also, any luck with DJ on updated PV3? I like the looks of that pipe.
Love the sound! Loud and obnoxious when I want to be, semi-polite when I need it to be. Only update with the PV3 is that DJ/Fuelmoto is working on it.

Reactions: TedMan

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
So, updates....working on switching out the rear turn signals for smaller versions, as well as an under-lip rear fender turn signal/stop lamp led light setup ala harley fatbob....be a little more stealthy and unseen until lit...just have to figure out the wiring and any relays I might need to wire in-line....my son-in-law's father/friend is taking her and I will be riding my 2017 Chieftain Ltd, on a 500 mile over-nighter this weekend to Waymart PA. Hopefully catch some fall foliage changes, the best part is the weather is predicted to be 70's and clear both days, as well as the backroads we will take through state forest land. Should make for some great pictures, will post when returned. Other than that, waiting on Fuel-moto and Dyno-jet to finish creating compatiblity for my PV3 to provide a tune for the pipe and A/C addons. Also, waiting on Buxcustoms.com to finish seat reupholster and gel pad inserted into molding. She is running like a hybrid bull! Bike is so incredibly fast....Below is a pic with the saddlemen tunnel bag I picked up for my 2017 Chief Darkhorse (sold in 2019) and leather swing arm bag picked up from Amazon.
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank Wheel

Wheel Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Plant

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Installed a 200/60 R16 Avon rear tire in place of the 180/65 R16 Pirelli stocker. No appreciable ride difference (yet). Pictures are at Buxcustoms.com shop in Pottstown, where I am having seat , saddle bag and rear seat pad re-done, all with same leather. Looking forward to seeing Chris's work after he gets done with the cars/interiors he is prepping for 2021 SEMA...Waiting on Voodoo A/C from Fuelmoto. No tune yet, but once A/C is here will take it over to Rollin Fast Cycle Sports to have one of their Lloyds tunes put on it. Making plans, ordering parts to install lower handlebar risers and relocate command center gauge, as well as install rear brake light/turnsignals underneath rear fender lip, relocate license plate/light.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Cloud Sky

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive fuel system

Reactions: PeacePipe
1 - 20 of 23 Posts