Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
This will be a bit of a long story, sorry in advance, but to get all the details i must tell everything..
I have posted about my problems several times on facebook groups since i got my bike but im going to try here.
January 17th i bought a new 2020 Challenger DH.
The bike was awesome the first few days, although it sometimes had trouble starting.. by trouble i mean if i crank it, it seems to start but die instantly. So often takes a second try.. Whereas my 1st bike i came from, the Scout 60 i bought last year, one little push of the button started it up right away. Every time. I understood its a bigger bike so it wasnt an issue.
Until january 25th.. the day before i did a big +- 300km trip, put in my underground garage. No tender back then.
So 25th i go to work at 4am, the temperatures here were from around freezing up to +5 celcius. 1pm i want to go back home, bike wouldnt start. Tried several times, dead. Put on a big charger, still took many attempts and an hour. It started, finally, but then i drove home and the bike was stuttering heavily, throwing misfire codes, o2 code, several times shutting off.
Towed it to the dealer, they reflashed the bike, bike was back in "order" There were no recalls for the TB issues on my bike's chassis number..
Someone on FB said that the many attempts to start the bike may have flooded the sensors, hence the bike throwing all the codes at me. So i understood, i may have caused that problem.
But still the next 2 weeks after that my bike would have trouble starting. I ride it évery day to work, roundtrip is around 10km, 20 minutes which is "short" i know but in the weekend i do longer trips.
My voltage (while bike powered up, not started) ranged from 12.6 to 12.3 regulary, even as low as 12.2 - 11.9 many times.
Mentioned it to my dealer again, and they said they would contact Indian and wanted to replace the battery under warranty even if Indian said no because they were thinking i got a faulty battery. Hats off to them being so helpfull, they replaced my battery.
Day of new battery i got a tender, and it has been on it every day since even though i ride every day.
And STILL my bike doesnt start properly..
The last few days i kept an eye on the voltage right after getting it off the tender : 12.5 to 12.6 usually. May have been 12.8 ish some times before.
Engage fuel pump, and waiting a few seconds it will start to drop again to 12.3, back to 12.5, back to 12.3.
Even when i come home from a long trip, i shut the bike off with the killswitch, voltage drops rapidly to 12.3 - ish
While i saw a Challenger testbike at the roadshow 2 weeks ago, i noticed that one maintained a voltage of 12.7, even while sitting there powered up.
Even today, temps are +- 5 to 7 celcius, i wanted to go home, i kept holding the starter and the bike had troubles starting, voltage seen dropping to 6 while everything goes dark trying to crank the bike. It did start after a few seconds but i could just hear it doesnt start properly..
I even bought some expensive jumper kit on a battery just in case my bike wouldnt start again and im out somewhere...
If it matters, i dont recall my bike ever shutting off while i was riding, or at a stoplight, or while turning.. as i have seen some people had those problems.
Once my bikes starts, its a great bike and no problems. Just the problem of getting it started..

So after my long story, what do you think of this? Do i still have a faulty battery? Is there something else going one, something else that is bad, am i doing something wrong,.. ? Are my voltages completely normal (except the test bikes 12.7 says otherwise...) and am i going to have to live with the bike not starting properly?

Thank you (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2020 Challenger Limited..my voltage reads 13.9 to 14 when running..sounds like bad battery to me

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have 2020 Challenger Limited..my voltage reads 13.9 to 14 when running..sounds like bad battery to me
the voltages i said were in "powered" on mode, so the electronics are on but the bike itself is not started yet.
While running my voltage is good, also showing 14.2 to higher.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,556 Posts
I'm sure they did but I'd double check your battery connections are torqued properly. Also, when you try to start the bike, do you let the fuel pump prime first? Does it have a hard time turning over or does it turn over and just not start?

·
Bronze member
1,879 Posts
when running the voltage should be close to 14.2vDC. anything less is most likely a bad charging system. If your voltage is 14.2 or close, then the amperage draw of the starter should be checked. Being a new bike, the obvious check all connections including ground is important.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure they did but I'd double check your battery connections are torqued properly. Also, when you try to start the bike, do you let the fuel pump prime first? Does it have a hard time turning over or does it turn over and just not start?
Gonna check connections again to be sure. Did that with 1st battery and they were tightened.
I usually use killswitch then the power button to turn bike off, so starting its power button, i wait until screen is on, then killswitch on, then starting.
And a bit both i think.. hearing a crank and long pause crank again when the bike has a bad day screen goes off.. On slightly better days cranking is consistent and it seems to start but a second later just dies.
On best days cranks 2 secs and starts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
when running the voltage should be close to 14.2vDC. anything less is most likely a bad charging system. If your voltage is 14.2 or close, then the amperage draw of the starter should be checked. Being a new bike, the obvious check all connections including ground is important.
While running its 14.2 to 14.5 so no problems then.
Only thing i havent tried yet at all is the ground connection.. so i gotta look up what it looks like and where it is located

·
5 years +
203 Posts
Have your dealer check the charging system (alternator ,voltage regulator) and have the battery load tested also have them check for parasitic voltage draw it should not be more than 2.0 mA. Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most 12v electrical systems will charge at ~14v but when the engine isn't running the battery will be at 12.5ish... That's normal. Now, if you load test the battery and it comes back with a dead cell then I would be more concerned...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to look if the ground cable is loose, as i saw people with other bikes as well having starting problems where it ended up being a loose ground cable.. but can anyone tell me where it is located on the Challenger and what does it look like? I'm new to this sort of stuff and i cant go through the owners manual (if its in there?) right now :(
Thanks !

·
5 years +
203 Posts
Follow the ground cable from the battery I believe the cable bolts to the right side (frame) of the bike

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,556 Posts
The location of the chassis ground wasn't listed in the service manual. Somewhere there's a big group of cables that are attached to the Chassis.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Actually there are a total of three (3)-chassis ground points per the Service Manual, page 147 , this page is located immediately after the Service Manual Index. The grounds are shown on the diagram down near the bottom right hand side.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,556 Posts
Correct but I couldn't find in the manual where those grounds connect to the chassis.

·
Registered
313 Posts
A careful visual inspection will find them.

Reactions: Hoseman

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Your battery voltage is fine.

Your bike is under warranty. Make them fix it.
No one will really be able to help through a forum.

Too many variables.

I have ideas, because I have had half a dozen motorcycles made by Polaris, but you need to have Indian fulfill their warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts