Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys: I hope you all are hanging in there.
My bike will die right at the light and won't start back up until I put in in neutral. I know its supposed to start even with the clutch pulled but no. It will die again If I come to a complete stop and again have to put in in neutral and then it starts again. I got it home from a couple miles away and it died 5 times on the way.
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Not sure if the 2019 is different from the 2018 but you do have to put it in neutral to start. But I don’t know why it stalls out on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2,006 Posts
Well this is surprising if that’s true. Even my old Yamaha has a clutch switch for when holding the clutch lever in to start in gear.

Indian parts shows one for the Chieftain. Part number 4 here.
Not sure link worked... Controls, Clutch there.

I would think something is wrong with that switch, or possibly the kickstand switch if there is one.
Perhaps a combination of things, neutral indication and lever switch and/or kickstand?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hey there,

my mechanic told me that sometimes the clutch switch (sits where the clutch lever is mounted to the housing) is a little trouble maker.

Take of the clutch lever, try to clean the switch an put in some contact spray.

Maybe that will solve the problem!

Regards Markus

PS: Pic show the switch of a Bobber, but its quite similar in the Chieftain
Clutch Switch.JPG

Edit:

LongRoadHome may also be right, check the kickstand switch also!

·
Rider
1,155 Posts
Could be possibly both the clutch microswitch and the kickstand down switch.
The clutch switch could of been bad for a while and if you always started bike in neutral then you wouldnt know it and now quite possibly the kick stand microswitch is also acting up so you might have 2 little trouble makers giving you the business.
Sjould be easy enough to check with a meter

·
Rider
1,155 Posts
I believe it will on the kickstand switch.
Because if it thinks its down then the engine will definitly cut out because its showing down and its safety is not to drive off and crash because of being in down showing position.
So yes it could still be kickstand switch

·
Rider
1,155 Posts
Also if both switches are now showing problems bike will cut out and not start with clutch in because switch is not working and cuts out because it thinks kick stand is down.

·
Bronze member
2,006 Posts
Reminds me of how I found out about my kickstand switch on the old Yamaha. Could start it up in gear with the clutch lever pulled.
I parked in tall grass and knew the kickstand was down, I was just going to purposely takeoff and let the grass put it up as I moved.
Let out the clutch and engine died, restarted it and happened again.
Someone mentioned the kickstand, sure enough that was it!
Was a long time between motorcycles so a new thing to me, because I thought other ones didn’t have that switch.

So yeah with three switches, clutch gear kickstand, possible combination of trouble there.
And if that’s not it I hope you’ll tell about the reason if you find out.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure if the 2019 is different from the 2018 but you do have to put it in neutral to start. But I don’t know why it stalls out on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naa: It should start no matter what gear its in as long as you pull the clutch. It always did for me. Especially if it died at a light or something.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So they came and picked up my bike. They thought it would be because of the recall neutral/gear sensor switch so I'm like "cool no problem then" well after a couple days went to pick up the bike and it died again 4 times down the street from the dealers. Now they have it and are working on a fix.
Its only almost 80 degrees now here in Cali so I'm dying to do some riding.
Thanks a lot for all your input and feed back guys. Preciate it.

·
Rider
1,155 Posts
Still believe kick stand switch!
It will do everything you are saying here.
Also in gear again if this bike is showing a gear other then neutral and the kick stand switch is bad bike will abruptly turn off and wont startup because clutch is showing being released

·
Bronze member
2,006 Posts
Was thinking about battery cable terminals and frame ground connection, since many people mention that when weird problems occur.
I know there was talk about the tip over sensor being another problem, but when I searched that, apparently most people were having it not do what it’s supposed to do. However at least one person was experiencing engine cut off during normal riding.

·
Rider
1,155 Posts
Tell you what
Why dont we wait and see what he comes back with instead of back and fourth here.
Its out of both of out hands at the dealer. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Both the clutch (engaged) switch and kick stand switches are safety switches. Both let the ECM know how the bike sits. The gear position switch, not just to let the rider know what gear the bike is in but the ECM as well; for starting, stopping and running.
The clutch switch will not kill the motor if engaged, however if the clutch switch is not engaged, and in gear, it will not crank.
If the engine is running and in gear, the kickstand switch will kill the engine. The only time it won’t kill the engine is if it’s in neutral.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had the problem with not starting with the clutch lever pulled in - the clutch lever micro-switch wires on my 19 SDH were broken from the dealer floor. Those wires are really small & easy to break, so I would have them verify the wires are intact and fully installed.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: After troubleshooting every item on the entire bike with weird codes flashing up, turns out that the throttle body assembly was going bad. Took one off a brand new bike from the showroom floor and the problem has been solved.
Really weird but at least I can ride again.
Thanks a lot guys, for all your input.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts