Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been unable to ride my 2017 Roadmaster. Last summer torn rotator cuff surgery (Planed). This year thw plan was to ride until June, have Left hip replacement surgery on June 6th.

Long story short, my primary sent me to "Pain Management" in late May of this year because Sciatica in left leg due to verify pinched nerve in my lower bad, was making in near impossible to walk, let alone ride.

I developed a severe abscess covering 7 inches of my lower spine, wrapped around it thick at a bratwurst. So after 3 ambulance trips where I was in septic shock with a fever approaching 103, the 3rd emergency room decided with a temp that high they should admit me, put me on IV Antibiotics while the found the source. I had had a recent MRI for my upcoming (cancelled) hip replacement surgery.

An infectious disease doc decided I needed a new MRI. Bam, no hip surgery. Emergency spinal surgery to relieve the pressure on my spinal cord and clean the infection. They performed a Laminectomy on tge entire Lumbar section of my spine.

During my 2 months of IV Antibiotics, I developed yet another pinched nerve, this time in my neck and causing numbness and tingling down my left Arm. Tried to ride the RM, but until the pinched nerve in my neck is somewhat relieved, riding the RM is out of the question.

I need 3 more surgeries now. Both hips replace because no cartilage in either. Its just bone on bone, then tge Laminectomy this time in my next.

Ok, now to the bike my brother is a Harley guy and Metrics and even BMW. Thought the RM was a beautiful bike a great for long trips. The new Challengers may very well convert him.

So while hes keeping it and I make the payments and Insurance I want him to run her and her 116 motor as much as he likes.

Now if I ride again it will need to be solo for a bit, so took the trunk off and stored it on the nice bracket from Witch Doctors. My wife is not happy about me removing the trunk because of my back surgery no wsy can I remount that easy.

I installed the Arnott/Fox adjustable air ride shock right before my emergency surgery. I started thinking an nice solo seat may convert the Brother to Indian and between the Arnott/Fox adjustable air shock and a narrower seat, IF I can rid some neck pain, I might be able to ride a bit this fall because all my surgeons want to wait a hole year on infection clear before doing anything surgery. Checked out tge Indian heated Solo Seat and purchased it from Mies Outlander in MN

Its late, so I know Ive made typos, so please forgive. Without further ado. ....
20190803_155402.jpg
20190803_155412.jpg
20190803_155626.jpg

She sits low enough with the Arnott/Fox adjustable air ride shock emptied out and I can mount her even with the bad hips.

Well, what do you guys think of her looks? As a side benefit I think this seat is very comfortable as well.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
holy shit my brother. we all with ya brother in thoughts. my wife hasn't been able to ride since last sept. started out pulling something in left shoulder , that led to MRI, that led to replacing 2 cervical disk, with another still hernated with also constant pain from neck to left arm an a loss of grip (she would just drop what ever she had in her left hand). All from a Workers Comp injury. She is type of gal that when we got up in am she would say aren't we riding somewhere.
Hope your surgeries go well for ya.

·
Read Only
244 Posts
I have been unable to ride my 2017 Roadmaster. Last summer torn rotator cuff surgery (Planed). This year thw plan was to ride until June, have Left hip replacement surgery on June 6th.

Long story short, my primary sent me to "Pain Management" in late May of this year because Sciatica in left leg due to verify pinched nerve in my lower bad, was making in near impossible to walk, let alone ride.

I developed a severe abscess covering 7 inches of my lower spine, wrapped around it thick at a bratwurst. So after 3 ambulance trips where I was in septic shock with a fever approaching 103, the 3rd emergency room decided with a temp that high they should admit me, put me on IV Antibiotics while the found the source. I had had a recent MRI for my upcoming (cancelled) hip replacement surgery.

An infectious disease doc decided I needed a new MRI. Bam, no hip surgery. Emergency spinal surgery to relieve the pressure on my spinal cord and clean the infection. They performed a Laminectomy on tge entire Lumbar section of my spine.

During my 2 months of IV Antibiotics, I developed yet another pinched nerve, this time in my neck and causing numbness and tingling down my left Arm. Tried to ride the RM, but until the pinched nerve in my neck is somewhat relieved, riding the RM is out of the question.

I need 3 more surgeries now. Both hips replace because no cartilage in either. Its just bone on bone, then tge Laminectomy this time in my next.

Ok, now to the bike my brother is a Harley guy and Metrics and even BMW. Thought the RM was a beautiful bike a great for long trips. The new Challengers may very well convert him.

So while hes keeping it and I make the payments and Insurance I want him to run her and her 116 motor as much as he likes.

Now if I ride again it will need to be solo for a bit, so took the trunk off and stored it on the nice bracket from Witch Doctors. My wife is not happy about me removing the trunk because of my back surgery no wsy can I remount that easy.

I installed the Arnott/Fox adjustable air ride shock right before my emergency surgery. I started thinking an nice solo seat may convert the Brother to Indian and between the Arnott/Fox adjustable air shock and a narrower seat, IF I can rid some neck pain, I might be able to ride a bit this fall because all my surgeons want to wait a hole year on infection clear before doing anything surgery. Checked out tge Indian heated Solo Seat and purchased it from Mies Outlander in MN

Its late, so I know Ive made typos, so please forgive. Without further ado. .... View attachment 513276 View attachment 513278 View attachment 513280

She sits low enough with the Arnott/Fox adjustable air ride shock emptied out and I can mount her even with the bad hips.

Well, what do you guys think of her looks? As a side benefit I think this seat is very comfortable as well.
I will definitely include you in my prayers and this mornings ride will be thinking of you! Larry

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Damn! Can't do a thing from here other than send prayers and words of encouragement, which we are. Hang tough brother.

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
holy shit my brother. we all with ya brother in thoughts. my wife hasn't been able to ride since last sept. started out pulling something in left shoulder , that led to MRI, that led to replacing 2 cervical disk, with another still hernated with also constant pain from neck to left arm an a loss of grip (she would just drop what ever she had in her left hand). All from a Workers Comp injury. She is type of gal that when we got up in am she would say aren't we riding somewhere.
Hope your surgeries go well for ya.
It really hit hard when I couldn't tide 2 or 3 weeks ago because of the neck and Arm pain. When my brother FINALLY (another story) rescued in 98° after 3 hours only 2 miles from his house, I was nearly in tears. First thing I said to him was, my riding days are done.

Im 59 and I feel 89.

I didn't right this for sympathy. Not that kind of guy, but needed to tell the back story as to why my RM has become a 1 up at least temporarily. Wife was freaking because she finally started enjoying the ride but would never feel comfortable without the trunk. I had to eexplai IF I EVER RIDE again, I will need a few weeks to build strength and confidence before she rides with me ag as in.

That heated solo seay I suspect is made by Corbin or Mustang. I never had issue with the tour seat, but just sitting on it I can tell its one comfortable seat.

Thanks for your kind words and good luck to your wife.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
Hows the solo look on sn RM?
Looks really good!

Have given consideration to doing the same since firing my back seater(girl friend);). Thing is, for long haul trips the rack and empty seat(if needed) provide a lot extra space.:)

Time will tell:D

·
Registered
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks really good!

Have given consideration to doing the same since firing my back seater(girl friend);). Thing is, for long haul trips the rack and empty seat(if needed) provide a lot extra space.:)

Time will tell:D
Id probably put the trunk back on. Witch Doctors for the garage wall mount for the trunk

·
Rider
633 Posts
Sweet looking Rm.
Not sure what to say about your health issues other than I really hope you can get it all sorted out soon. Hate to hear about someone having to go through that. Sux big time.
Keep a good positive outlook and maybe we will get a chance to ride together some day.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
IF you decide, after all of the surgeries and remedies are completed........That you want to sell that beauty, give me first right of refusal. I do take care of my "stuff" and if you get better, I will sell it back to you. Or, you can visit and ride it. I will not be ready until fall of this year.......
In the meantime, stay as well as possible and hope for the best my friend.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
This post from other posters is why when we have a new tribe member i tell them this is a great forum. We have a family here. all for one an one for all. working on my 1st yr on this an loved every day of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts