Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, fellas. I’m in the market for a new seat for my RM. I do consider the stock seat comfortable enough for me (no back pain with it whatsoever), even after two years. But I do have a Chief solo seat that I occasionally use for riding solo and I do like the fact that it puts me a little back and lower than the stock RM seat.

So I started digging around and realized the Mustang two-up seat repositions the rider just the way I want to, but keeping the heating elements and pillion comfort.

I can say I had good experience with Mustang seats in the past (had a few of them on Harleys), but one thing caught my attention on the Mustang seat info I found on the forum and in the seat’s user manual I got online: it does not use the side brackets the stock RM seat uses.

I know a lot of people say they use their stock seats without the brackets without a problem, but I did tried to do it and I felt the seat a little on the “wobbly” side, sliding a little bit backwards/forwards no matter how much I tightened the rear end screw. That sorta drove me nuts, to the point that after three months I decided to put the side brackets back on the stock seat.

I wonder if the Mustang seat would have the same problem or if their fit is more snug than on a stock seat with no side brackets... anyone who runs them might shed some light in this matter?

Ultimate seats, on the other hand, are highly praised and have the advantage of being “divided” from factory. But even though I rarely use the heat, I do like to use it when needed (one or two months per year). But the heated option from Ultimate not only adds 250 USD to the seat (the non-heated seat costs the same as the heated Mustang) but I also don’t like the idea of the heating controls being managed by a remote (which might get lost) instead of switches on the seat itself. There’s also the matter of non-waterproof stitching. One thing that wasn’t clear enough for me, is the rider backrest: is the bracket embedded into the seat (like in Mustang seats) or would I still need my OEM backrest bracket ?

RDL seats would be the best for me (I care more about comfort than looks), but the fact that I need to send my seat pan for them,considering I live abroad, it’s a no-go for me, so I won’t even consider them as an option.

·
Rider
610 Posts
The ultimate has a built in bracket for the backrest. Mine is the tallboy, so it sits an inch to inch and a half back, and about an inch higher. They have a cover to use in rain to keep water or of the cushion

·
Rider
479 Posts
I have a Corbin seat which does sit you back about two inches, it is a fire and ice seat with controls on the side. I really like it, I had a Mustang on the victory and liked it as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ultimate has a built in bracket for the backrest. Mine is the tallboy, so it sits an inch to inch and a half back, and about an inch higher. They have a cover to use in rain to keep water or of the cushion
yeah, my problem with it is exactly the need for putting on rain covers everytime it rains (which, around here is, say... A LOT).

I don´t do it with the stock seat.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have 60K miles on my Ultimate tall boy and the seat is still great. The heater works great but the remote sucks. I ride with a sheepskin cover so I don't use the heater and I have ridden in many a rain storms and the seat stays dry. The only time I use the nylon cover is when the bike is parked outside and I want the sheepskin dry in the morning.

Reactions: ubiratamuniz

·
Rider
1,213 Posts
I purchased the Ultimate TallBoy a couple months ago. But with the Covid, my camping trips got cancelled this summer. The seat is comfortable. With the stock seat, I was having tailbone issues after about 3 days of riding. The Ultimate is firmer, and therefore not sinking down as much as the OEM seat. Seems alot better for the tailbone issue.

I'm off next weekend for a 4000 km ride, so will see how it goes for a longer trip. 6 days of riding.

--
Gordon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts